Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #15

Check the voltage output on the charger when it enters float mode. Probably also should confirm that the charger is actually entering float mode and not staying at a higher level.

Contrary to what many people think, it's not the low current flow (amps) that makes the float charge suitable for long-term use. It's the voltage, and if it stays too high for too long, it will boil your batteries.

Could high voltage cause only one battery to loose that much water? Perhaps, depending on how they are connected. It is possible to have quite a voltage drop from one end of a battery bank to the other if things are connected using too-small cables or incorrectly.

All that said, it is more likely that you've got a bad cell(s) in that battery.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
I have six 12v Type 31 Deep Cycle house batteries in parallel and usually top them off manually (due to clearance issues) every 2-3 months. During the past three months of the winter, the MH has been plugged in to shower power and on a good trickle charger. When I went out this week, five of six took the normal 2-3 ounce of distilled water per cell while the last battery took almost a gallon total. All of the batteries are at least five years old. Why would one battery take so much water? There is no visible sign of any leakage or damage. Won't that dilute the acid and ruin the battery? If so, should I just replace it, leave it out and live with five or spend lots of money and replace them all?

Thoughts from all of you sparkies out there?

I would say if you put a gallon of water in 1 battery it’s been boiling a lot and pretty sure it’s bad.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:24 PM   #17

How are you hooking the charger up to the battery? If you are hooking up both charger cables to the same battery that is likely the cause of the battery going bad. The charger should be hooked up to the positive post of one battery and the negative post of the battery furthest from the first battery. That way the electrons must flow all the way through the battery bank thereby charging all of the battery pretty much equally. If both charging cables are hooked up to the same battery that battery will tend to get most of the charge as electricity takes the path of least resistance. Goo luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
How are you hooking the charger up to the battery? If you are hooking up both charger cables to the same battery that is likely the cause of the battery going bad. The charger should be hooked up to the positive post of one battery and the negative post of the battery furthest from the first battery. That way the electrons must flow all the way through the battery bank thereby charging all of the battery pretty much equally. If both charging cables are hooked up to the same battery that battery will tend to get most of the charge as electricity takes the path of least resistance. Goo luck.
That would only be true if the cables between the batteries were grossly undersized.

6 feet of 2 gauge jumpers between 5 batteries will have a voltage drop of less then 1%, at 60 amps of current.

As batteries charge, the amperage they accept drops off. Once the first battery reaches full, each one in progression will also.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Check and see if the batteries that took lots of water are getting hotter than the others when you have them charging. If you have to replace some of the batteries, I would recommend replacing all of them. When the batteries are hooked up together, your best battery will be no better than the worse battery that is in the group. The worse batteries will pull down the good batteries.
L-M-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That would only be true if the cables between the batteries were grossly undersized.

6 feet of 2 gauge jumpers between 5 batteries will have a voltage drop of less then 1%, at 60 amps of current.

As batteries charge, the amperage they accept drops off. Once the first battery reaches full, each one in progression will also.

Of course it's also possible that corrosion is adding to the voltage drop to the other batteries, depending on the condition of things. Hard to know for sure without more information and perhaps a few photos.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Of course it's also possible that corrosion is adding to the voltage drop to the other batteries, depending on the condition of things. Hard to know for sure without more information and perhaps a few photos.
If there was voltage drop, the charging battery still will not overcharge with a proper operating charger.

The rest will only be undercharged.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If there was voltage drop, the charging battery still will not overcharge with a proper operating charger.

The rest will only be undercharged.

Kind of where I was going. If the charger isn't going to a proper float voltage it would overcharge, and my thought was that with poor wiring it could affect only one battery. Outside chance, I know, but something to consider if all the other more logical answer fail.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am pretty sure that it was a bad cell in the one battery that caused it to boil out. The other batteries all seem to hold charges but they are all over six years old. I pulled them out and replaced them with four Trojan T-105 6v batteries with a self watering system. Though a bit more than I budgeted, I think that is the safest approach.

Thanks for all of the constructive discussion and comments!
Old 02-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #24

I think that was a good decision that you won’t regret. Trojan batteries are highly rated. Good luck and safe travels!
Old 02-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
Yes, "shower power" is indeed the auto-correct version of "shore power." The charger involved is the coach's 3-stage built-in charger. It has settings depending upon how many batteries are installed - 200AH, 400AH and 800AH. It is supposed to be set to the closest value below the total amp hours of the installed batteries. These original six batteries are all 105 Amp Hour and the charger was set to 400AH.

I did take the battery in question out and ran it on a separate charger tester overnight. It will not hold a charge and only got to 17%. It is definitely bad.

So now I am faced with replace now or wait for the next battery to fail. But of course like everything else, battery availability is affected by Covid. "Good" AGMs are hard to locate. I am considering four 6v Trojan T-105s at 225AH each as replacements (if I can find them). They are a bit taller, but if I can install the Flow-rite autofill, they should be easier to maintain, weigh less than the original six and have more amp hours.

Thoughts?
I think that's a good plan. Our Trojan 105's are going on 5 years old, with an auto fill system and they're still going strong. Very good bats. However we upgraded to a 4 stage smart charger from Progressive Dynamics PD9200 Series. This thing is sweet compared to what our OEM charger was.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:37 PM   #26

Why not just run a 5 battery system for now and call it a day. How much dry camping do you do? High probability even 5 is too many for your boondocking needs??
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, water