Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Lumber to keep the moisture from the tires, good idea so the tires don't rust, how many of you have ulcers from worrying about stuff...

You win...

Come on over to the towing capacity discussions and hang out there!
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been parking our RV's on gravel since 1986 with no problems. As was said: I also have had to add gravel at times.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #17

[QUOTE=homeless;2759365]My two cents. If I where going to park for a long time I would consider parking on lumber! A 2x8x12 under each tire.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
+1. Gravel is a good and inexpensive alternative to concrete or asphalt. Some lumber would keep the tires from digging in and make a moisture barrier.

Over time you do have to replace some of the gravel but it is cheap. Sometimes I am sorry we didn't go with gravel instead of our badly cracked concrete pad.
This is what I was quoting
Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #18

A great tip we got was to roll the tires up onto white plastic cutting boards. The perfect size is at Walmart for $9.97 each. Easy to store, not very heavy, and really easy to wash off if muddy. Occasionally one will crack apart if we park on big rocks and we just buy a replacement.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Feeling good

OK I am convinced to go the gravel route. Great feedback from you all as always.

I may need to stew a bit over what type. I am thinking rip rap is out

So that narrows it down to crusher run, pea gravel or 57 rock gravel.

I got the repair/work underneath the rig issue squared away. I do have a concrete area that's flat in front of where i am planning the project that I can pull on to.

On this muddy Georgia clay I am thinking 4 inches?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #20

The worse the clay the bigger the rock. I'd be looking at 6-12 inches of crusher 3 topped by 1's. The heavier the MH the deeper it needs to go. I'd also split a sheet of 3/4 pressure treated ply into quarters and put a piece under each tire. YMMV
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
I never thought about lumber to keep the tires from rusting. Now that I finally have that solution, I can get on with wondering how the Cowboys lost, and how much money I have to give China to do away with our debt to them.

There are so many things to contemplate while driving down the road, like should I drive the required 120 miles today or should I take a couple of days or a week and deep think about gravity. Usually deep thinking wins out when the required nap is over.

My son was so upset with us because it took us 6 days to drive from Alb to Hou (883 mi) but I didn't want him to think we were driving at an un-safe high speed. LOTS TO DO AND LOOK AT. Still way to fast!

I like the way you think!
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #22

It has been said that tires can wick moisture in and rust the steel belts, don't know if I'd lose sleep over it.
But I Park on black top grindings that have been compacted, and steel plates were the tires and Jacks are, just to keep it from sinking in
Old 09-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have read in several tire care writings that tires should not be parked long-term on any porous surface, lest the natural oils get leached out of the rubber. I have pieces of 3/4 ply with plastic sheets attached for long term parking.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
I never thought about lumber to keep the tires from rusting. Now that I finally have that solution, I can get on with wondering how the Cowboys lost, and how much money I have to give China to do away with our debt to them.

There are so many things to contemplate while driving down the road, like should I drive the required 120 miles today or should I take a couple of days or a week and deep think about gravity. Usually deep thinking wins out when the required nap is over.

My son was so upset with us because it took us 6 days to drive from Alb to Hou (883 mi) but I didn't want him to think we were driving at an un-safe high speed. LOTS TO DO AND LOOK AT. Still way to fast!

Sheesh, we left Vancouver Island 55 days ago on our way to the east coast and we are still a few days away.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Sheesh, we left Vancouver Island 55 days ago on our way to the east coast and we are still a few days away.
Why are you pushing so hard? You're not doing enough deep thinkin' and napping.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #26

What about shale it is cheaper than gravel and compacts nicely. It also drains well.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #27

Some tips here...

RV Tire Safety: Winterize
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #28

I dug mine out and put down six inches of process with the intention of pouring concrete ontop. It's been two years and still never got around to the concrete. The process packs down like concrete. We picked up three big rubber dump truck mud flaps two for the rear and cut the other in half for the front tires and park on those.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote