Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Bought it and had to get it home... Only 60 miles from Pahrump to Las Vegas. That 7% down hill going into Vegas was an eye opener
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
School bus driver for 5 years. Getting a school bus endorcement on the CDL makes you a better driver. The good thing about the motorhome is there is only 1 person telling you what to do instead of 50 to 60 students doing the same.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
When I was a kid, I was working in the family business. We had just gotten a semi. My dad pulled up in it, opened the window and asked me if I wanted to learn how to drive. I had been driving fork trucks and small tractors, so the concept of driving and shifting was not foreign to me.

I asked if we could start with something smaller with like, oh I don't know, a car? He laughed and said if I could figure this out, a car would be easy! He was right. I have been driving semis for years. I got my class A license when Connecticut passed the law that a special license was needed. Since I was already driving semis, I got on the list of existing drivers and was issued a license. I have had one ever since. Haven't driven one in quite a few years, though. The only difference with motor homes is they don't bend in the middle.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Cool

I drove 4 & 5 ton straight trucks for a couple of years, went in the Navy and on shore duty in Great Lakes, IL I took a part time job driving school bus and an old Greyhound MC-5 that we had for tour bus use. I also hauled big boat trailers with my truck. When I bought the RV, it was no problem, but I had to take my wife to a big parking lot so she could learn too.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #47

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
good thing about the motorhome is there is only 1 person telling you what to do
Not when you have a GPS turned on ...and sometimes BOTH voices are insistently providing wrong directions!!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #48

Took a 2 mile trip through a residential neighbourhood with the elderly-former owner of a used 30 foot Pace Arrow,giving me a quickie driving lesson after the sale.In retrospect,that was just plain stupid,and I would have been a lot smarter with some lessons.I think the Guy looking for lessons should be congratulated for having the foresight to make that move to take a few lessons.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #49

Drove a farm truck when I was 14. Progressed through TT's and 5th wheels. Bought this coach sight unseen via eBay and flew to Dallas to get it. Having never even been in a class A before, I let the sales guy take it to a RV site and set it up. Finally got the courage to drive it around the residential areas to get the feel of it and discovered how many low hanging branches there are in the Dallas suburbs. No problems after that.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #50

Interesting thread!
I like most others here and being a farm kid, I have driven all kinds of equipment over the years including grain trucks (both tandem and semi), a race car hauler, aircraft, heavy equipment, etc.

My first introduction to a large class A was after taking delivery of ours from the previous owner and hopping on I-10 and driving from southeast LA to Phoenix. At night.
We then drove the 1000+ miles home a week later after several U-turns (nav wasn't working yet) and a few choice words, all is well.
pro517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
I used the brail method.
Hope I got it now, it's getting expensive!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 AM   #52

When I retired from the New York City Police Department I applied for a job as a Charter bus driver out on the east end of Long Island, New York......I got hired and they sent me to their training sessions for a few weeks before I actually got to work on the road.........The company instructors taught me everything I needed to get my NY Commercial Driver's License (This was before the "CDL" came out in NY State).....
I worked for them for about 2 years before I bought my first 40 foot motor home and moved to Florida......
When I worked for the company, called "Hampton Jitney" I drove Prevost, MCI, Van Hool, and Sentra buses in Manhattan and down to Atlantic City, New Jersey....
They were all wide-body 45 foot buses and I drove the Prevost 88 foot articulated bus a few times into Manhattan........It held 79 passengers and we had two stewartesses serving drinks and snacks.......
The job really got me ready to drive my own coach and I get a discount on my insurance because I have commercial bus experience.......
John
johnboy545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought our first RV in 97, a 30' Class A. My DH is a disabled vet and felt he would be more comfortable driving something this large with hand controls. Our dealer drove it to the site for those to be installed while we waited for it. After several hours it was ready to go! Okay, here's where it gets good! He had never driven anything this big before...and never drove with handcontrols. They handed him the keys and said enjoy your new RV! Off we went, headed for home, about 3 hrs. away. I was following behind in our car and calling our son every 10 minutes who was with dad in the coach. Well, long story short and 4 RV's later we now have a 40' DP and tow car and he is still behind the wheel! Says it's just like driving a Corvette...only longer.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maneuvering issues?

FWIW: For Class -A driving, gas or diesel....every new driver should see the Michelin site for the handling when a tire blows out. Very good video even for seasoned drivers. Lazy -Days also has videos on backing into a tight 90 degree campsite.

..just info for those who happened upon this thread seeking roadworthy advice in-lieu-of personal accounts.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #55

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Performance Driving School at Seattle International Raceway...
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #56

Earn while you learn. Lots of truck driving over the years. Construction, oilfields and heavy equipment hauling. I lost the sight in my left eye so don't drive trucks anylonger. Took awhile to get the depth perception down with just the one eye. No sweat now.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote