Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #15

Look-E-Loo’s

When we were shopping last year we asked Heidi’s Warehouse here in Southern Ontario why they don’t go to the shows anymore. They are really the only dealership anywhere around here that sells a large selection of BIG Diesel Pushers....

They told me their price to attend the Toronto Show was $80,000. They would bring one or two of their high end rigs $1,000,000 to $1,500,000 (Canadian Pricing). Several thousand people would walk through and add general wear and tear to the units. They found that most folks at the show were not there to buy the high end units and were not even close to being in the market for these big rigs... but naturally wanted to check them out. So a lot of coin up front, damage to their units and no sales to speak of.

Reality is the shows around here tend to cater to your entry level models of TT’s, some 5th wheels and very few MH’s. I also find the lack of vendors annoying as that would be my main reason to attend now. I know there is one coming up in the next week or two and I have no intention of attending... It is to bad, when my bride and I were new to the RV world we enjoyed joining the rest of the Look-E-Loo’s at the shows.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 03:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post

Was thinking more of this one:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/they-...ow-474415.html

But thanks for the link!
Old 01-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #17

We just returned from the Tampa show. Only thing we were really interested in was Super C's and parts. Saw some C's and found nothing that fit our needs and little in after market parts. Lots of camp grounds, pots and pans, gutter covers for home and other non RV related stuff. $14 to park and $12 ea. for tickets. Wife thinks we'll skip next year.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #18
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
We just returned from the Tampa show. Only thing we were really interested in was Super C's and parts. Saw some C's and found nothing that fit our needs and little in after market parts. Lots of camp grounds, pots and pans, gutter covers for home and other non RV related stuff. $14 to park and $12 ea. for tickets. Wife thinks we'll skip next year.

$14 to park an RV and $8 for a car. Free ticket for going a second day included for all attendees so we’re going back Saturday because we didn’t get through even half of the motor homes.

My wife got a 30% off card from Sun RV Resorts in FL so we’ll use it later this year and I got a free night. It seemed that anybody who played won something.

Saw several 45’ Class C’s. Not sure what the point is, though.

Ray
Old 01-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
So, perhaps the people here - experienced owners - aren't really the prime target market for shows?
We don't own - yet. However, the shows in Colorado have been disappointing for the most part. We plan to get a motorhome and have gone to shows to look at specific models. We don't bother to look at the 5ers or TTs because we have no interest. We would also like to see vendors of things like tow bars and brake systems. There have been almost no Class A and the few there have been were the high end luxury models which we also have no interest in.

We've had much better experiences just visiting a few dealers. One local dealer had an open house and they actually have a couple MHs that fit what we want. They also provided food and had a tow/braking vendor as well. All that with no cost.

The really big shows some of you attend are too far away, but they sound like they may be more worthwhile than the small shows in Colorado, which IMO have been a ripoff.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Shows are typically put on by a "producer", not an individual dealer or manufacturer (although there are those, too), and that producer has expenses: advertising, renting the venue and all the charges that come with it like electricity, water, sewer, compressed air, natural gas, layout and setup labor, box office charges, parking, storage and drayage, clean up and restoration of the venue to move-in condition, insurance, bonding, etc.

Once the producer knows what it will cost to put on the show they will set ticket prices and determine what to charge dealers and other exhibitors for their space.

You seem to feel that a dealer just shows up and someone rolls up the door to let them drive in. There's are more to it than that, and all of those things cost *someone*a bunch of money. You can pay for admission or the dealer can shoulder 100% of the expense and pass it along in EVERY purchase from their shop.

There is a current thread about this elsewhere on iRV2...
I'm not a business man. I'm aware there are expenses. I see the shows as an extension of the advertising budget for dealerships. Coca-cola hides those expenses in the product, and I prefer that business model.

Honestly, I wish restaurants payed their wait staff instead of the tipping model. Or, at least return tipping to what it should be instead of something they depend on. But, I understand I sound weird suggesting that.

If I were to go to a really large show that had an "entertainment" value to me, I could see buying a ticket under that premise. The shows I've been to didn't offer that value.

A ton of people see it differently...I'm not buying tickets to my local shows again.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:40 AM   #21

I'm sure they're great,...for someone else. I outgrew the need when I realized I was not going to hit the jackpot.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #22

We went to the Pleasonton show two years ago. Was a great opportunity for us to see all the options at once and figure out exactly what we wanted (and didn't want). We figured out exactly the model we wanted. Of course, we then bought it used (2 years old). It was definitely worth the money for us.

I think the entry fee is to keep the riff-raff out. If we bought from a dealer at the show, I might make them refund our entry fee (in the negotiations).
CyrusL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said, the smaller shows are a waste of time! The larger ones are a lot of fun!

One caution though! Back in 2002 we went to the Atlanta RV Show, just to look, having no thought of buying anything. Well, God promises us that He won't allow us to be tempted beyond what we are able to withstand. Guess what, He forgot about RV shows! Before we left we had placed a factory order for a new 36' 5th wheel which we picked up 6 weeks later!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:35 AM   #24

My opinion about shows, you have shoppers and dreamers. Dreamers let their kids climb on everything jump on beds push every button and don’t care cause they are not going to buy.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:39 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
as an example, the tampa show is a true rv show.............the rest, the regional shows like we have in columbus ohio (which we just attended), had one REAL class a (a newmar)............the rest were nexis, thor, and a bunch of trailers..........we only go as it gives us a chance to get out of the house mid winter, and it makes us thankful that we have a "paid for" 07 monaco knight..........
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:01 AM   #26

Evergreen Owners Club
Just attended the Tampa show. It’s awesome! If you can’t find what you are looking for there it probably doesn’t exist.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:04 AM   #27

On our third RV. Never been to a show, no plans to attend one.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:12 AM   #28

we went to a few shows before we had purchased our unit. We were undecided which direction to go ( TT, 5th Wheel, or motorhome) so it was helpful in that respect. So for first time buyers it can be helpful.
98winnie is offline   Reply With Quote