Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How do you keep the humidity up in the desert?

Last year I noticed the woodwork in the motorhome showed signs of drying out and even widening cracks in some of it. We are again staying in the deserts of Arizona and wondering how everyone is dealing with this issue? Thanks, Max.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #2

We let it crack, fill the crack with putty when it gets unsightly, and carry on.

Matt B
Old 11-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I have to keep a small humidifier running when I am in the desert or I get a dreadful sinus infection. It does take a small amount of water and some power, but we factor that in our power budget. Luckily an RV is a small space and not too hard to make slightly more humid. Note that it doesn’t do a lot of good to run a humidifier with all the windows open, but it isn’t usually that warm where and when we head.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #4

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #5

The first winter we spent in northern Arizona we went to the local stores to purchase a dehumidifier to deal with the condensation in our coach. Everyone looked at us like we were crazy because they had never heard of a dehumidifier. When you don't have any humidity, the concept of getting rid of it is tough to wrap your head around... [emoji3]
Old 11-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Last year I noticed the woodwork in the motorhome showed signs of drying out and even widening cracks in some of it. We are again staying in the deserts of Arizona and wondering how everyone is dealing with this issue? Thanks, Max.

We too use the humidifier for the sinuses. As far as the wood cracking and drying out, I use a wood oil called Old English. It takes a while to get all the woodwork of the cabinets, walls and doors, so I split it up into 2-3 days work. Another product is Murphys wood soap. Cabinets look great when I'm done, for a few weeks at least. I don't have enough energy (or time) to do them more than once a year. Good luck
kwahl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #7

Pledge Restoring Oil

This product will keep your wood shining and moisturized.

https://www.pledge.com/en-us/product...-restoring-oil

It will also bring damaged wood back with several applications.

I apply it to all woodwork once a quarter...4 times annually.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Showering, breathing and boiling water/making coffee all raise the humidity.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

Interesting thought. It sounds like you open up during the warm day and dry everything out the close up at night to keep warm. Might want to consider showers after dinner when closed up. Otherwise you do need a way to put moisture in the air.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #10

Gallons

I don't know if you are taking about daily use while lived in or when in storage. When mine is in my garage and its over 100 in Phoenix during the summer, I put out 3 water gallons and just leave the tops off. One in front kitchen sink, one in middle shower floor, and one in the back shower floor. I put them in areas with drains just in case something leaks or spills. The heat evaporates the water into the air but because of the gallons small opening it doesn't evaporate as fast as a bucket and lasts a while When Im using it I never seem to have any issues between showers, sinks and just general use. Im sure if you are parked you could put a gallon or two in a corner you won't see or trip over.
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #11

Get a swamp cooler.

Buckets and pans of water won’t raise the RH two points.

A swamp cooler will make your drawers stick.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #12

We have three 5 gallon bucket of water in our toy hauler. No issues here in Tucson so far.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #13

Isn't it funny, one day you need a humidifier and the next you need a dehumidifier .
We too had problems with cracked woodwork and I always get nose bleeding when the air gets to dry. We use this ultrasonic humidifier, it works great but with the salt content in regular tap water it puts a thin layer of salt dust on every surface, filtered water it is.

https://crane-usa.com/product/drop/
Old 11-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #14

Where I live, we get single-digit RH for weeks on end. The interior humidifiers work, but yeah - they make a mess and decrease in effectiveness, ironically and dramatically, as they start to be effective.

The water should be evaporated using outside air; i.e., swamp cooler.

They’re many times more effective.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote