Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
UAV

How Do You Keep Your Exterior Clean Whilst on the Road?

Hello Everybody...

Going to be driving from Denver to Vega$ on the maiden long voyage/convention and was wondering: After driving over dirty, wet mountain passes and through the dusty desert, how do you clean your coach on the road?

Being the neat freak I am, it sure would be nice to be able to give her a quick exterior wash as I head in to town to stay a few days.

Is there an App for this? A list of possible places to stop and wash up before parking for a few days?

Thanks!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just go into Google maps, set it so it's showing the Vegas area, and do a search for "truck wash". It will show you several, notably a Blue Beacon and an SNS both near exit 46 on I-15 heading into Vegas from the north. Many here have used Blue Beacon (although I have not) and were satisfied. Typically Blue Beacon charges about $40.

Personally, I don't bother washing the exterior until the trip-- or major portion thereof-- is over. We are fulltimers, and when we're on the road the coach gets dirty. It's that simple. A glossy exterior on the road requires the expenditure of large quantities of either elbow grease or dollars. Your choice. ;-)
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #3

Here is an alternative but it does not come with remote control.
I use this or an equivalent as most CGs are picky about washing your rig.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products
Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Truck washes, nationwide is Blue Beacon, some truck stops will have washes, and then there are standalone washes. Also often you will find advertised in a CG brochure or office mobile washers that will come to your camp site.

Also the other week I was in a CG and it was raining pretty hard. A fella was taking advantage and was out doing a wash job of his RV. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #5

Blue Beacon MH wash of Las Vegas. I think their standard 40' MH charge is $35-$38.50. Be sure to tell them "DO NOT spray the refrigerator grill openings", some people have said the spray has wetted the cooling system.
OH, thinking the cost was outdated, I emailed them. The reply stated the website is correct.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #6

Blue Beacon is your friend...
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Generally, I wash my own coach when on the road. I FIND that about 50% of the campgrounds we stay at throughout the southwest allow washing either for free or charge a $10.00 upcharge for water.

Occasionally, you can find a mobile service at many campgrounds that will wash your coach. We were in an AZ campground and there was a mobile unit there. They charged me $40.00 to wash the entire coach, rims, and apply tire black.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #8

Many RV parks have lists of people that wash and wax RVs. About $8 a foot for a wash and hand paste wax without a buffer seems about average.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
One other alternative to the Blue Beacon in Las Vegas is at the same exit! you get off at the same exit, top of the ramp turn right, about 100', 1st light, turn right instead of left for the BB. Go to the first traffic light, turn left. S&S detail is on your right, talk to Mike, he is the owner! Way better than BB and cost less too! They also do alum. polishing with high speed buffers. They will hand wash your MH, and rinse with a hose if that is what your want! They are a complete detail shop, and can do just about anything you want! I always used them, when I was trucking in and out of Vegas every other week! Rail!
P.S. Tell Mike you got your info from the Landstar driver named Stan with the Red Freightliner and the liftgate trailer that hauled slots!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
California Duster. I found a larger than normal one at a car parts store. Walmart often has them too. It smells like that dust mop a lot of our mothers used on the wooden floor when we were kids.it does a great job cleaning off the road film and making it shine. With my large duster, I can reach everything I really need to from the ground. Of course, it will not clean off caked on mud. I use it on the motorhome and I also use it on my cars. When I need a real wash, I have always found a park that will allow me to use a wash 'n wax product. My coach has never been to a wash facility.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote