Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You're not going to insult the dealer. This kind of thing happens all the time in their industry and they are used to it. Remember a low bid can always be raised but a high bid can't be lowered.

Good luck and Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #16

Never buy during the season and never be afraid to walk away! Stick to your guns and since you did your research don't worry about insulting them, they're used to it. Some of these places think they have a gold mine but after it sits for awhile they're attitude changes. They will try to get the best price they can so they get a bigger bonus. I try not to buy from a dealer unless I absolutely have to.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Barb View Post
Never buy during the season and never be afraid to walk away! Stick to your guns and since you did your research don't worry about insulting them, they're used to it. Some of these places think they have a gold mine but after it sits for awhile they're attitude changes. They will try to get the best price they can so they get a bigger bonus.I try not to buy from a dealer unless I absolutely have to.

Agree, I prefer to buy from a private party. You can get a good idea of previous usage and care. And you don't have to deal with dealer games...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The first MH we made an offer is still sitting on the dealer lot 18 mo later. Cost of money must be low
Old 08-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #19

I wouldn't worry about insulting a salesman the old saying "if their lips are moving they are probably lying to you" is pretty accurate for most of them. Keep looking you will eventually find a dealership you trust. We looked for about two years, one day we decided to take the plunge and worked with a salesman we had spent alot of time with over several visits. The GM insulted us over the interest rate(we were getting a pretty good deal on the MH) This was so stupid because we were still deciding whether we were going to pay cash or finance some. We eventually walked off the lot with them chasing us trying to make the deal, and even lowering the price. They continued calling us that night and the next day, even had someone from "corporate" call us, everyone but the GM who insulted us.

The next day we drove back to a place we had been a few times(different manufacturer), it was about 100 miles from our house, we really liked the owner and trusted him, but they never had what we really wanted. We just decided to check back in as we hadn't been there in a few months. Guess what he had just gotten some new ones in, we fell in love with two of them, he made us a better deal than the "big Box" store did and we bought that day, picked it up the next week, he even got us the interest rate we wanted. And we didn't settle, that's how we ended up with our Newmar, and have been glad we had the patience to find the right fit and MH.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #20

What I would say matters most is that you trust the dealer and that they stand behind what they sell. If they don't make money on the deal they will be out of business. However name your price and don't be afraid to walk out the door. No one wants to sit on product while it ages but we still have to make a profit. If you are trading in be realistic on the value of your trade and anyone who gives you a lot for your trade nailed you on something else.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Don't ever worry about insulting someone with a low bid, all they have to do is say no, or counter offer. You don't need any advice, you already have the right answer: ". . .I have thought about calling and saying you still have it and my offer still stands"
Do just that and see what happens.
Excuse me....I have told folk to go pound sand and don't call back. Make me a reasonable offer and we can talk.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
The first MH we made an offer is still sitting on the dealer lot 18 mo later. Cost of money must be low
Also there is now an extra 18 months of depreciation to deduct from the previous cost PLUS the opportunity cost of the money they could have had in their pockets 18 months ago
Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #23

In many sales companies the most wheeling and dealing happens at month end and quarter end. Bought a mini van last year. I had cash in hand and was set on my price. We had looked at a van at one dealer, went back and forth and they couldn't come anywhere near my price. Same dealer called me at the second to last day of the month and was ready to deal. We game up $1,000 and they came down over $4,000 from the original asking price.
Unknown Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer