Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Florida now has E-pass extra. Good all over Florida and 18 other states. It is just plain stupid to pay pay by plate with admin fees attached.
NC quick pass/EZ pass does the same thing and the transponder cost 1/3 what Fl cost.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ive always used cash, but it can be a hassle. Im planning on opting for the “universal toll module” (Newmar) on the new coach mainly so I can have a choice of any lane I want through the toll booths.

Anyone have any issues with those?

As an aside I prefer smaller highways and back roads so I don't encounter toll roads very often, but they are handy when you need them and I like to keep my options open.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Just called and got the Florida Ultra E-Zpass over the phone

Although just getting it for the car now for the upcoming trip to Mom it is easy to add the RV but you have to call them to do so When it gets to $10 they will automatically add whatever amount you tell them to when you sign up. For me I made it automatically add $50.00 after reading one of the above posts where there was an issue at the toll both because there was not enough on the pass.

Btw I will be going to the Tampa RV show while I am down there

Thanks for all your help and input!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all
It's not just how much your refresh is for, you should also calculate the bottom limit to make sure you can get through the day until the new balance hits all through the system. In my experience this is important for the privately run toll roads / bridges like the Chicago Skyway since their system won't see your new balance till the overnight refresh.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #46

“I’m planning on opting for the “universal toll module”...oh great I am ordering their 2021 Bay Star 3401 model in April 2020 and never heard of that option or even special? Wonder what that will cost...lol

“NC quick pass/EZ pass does the same thing and the transponder cost 1/3 what Fl cost.”...looked at NC and the transponder is $7.40 plus tax and Florida was $18.50 plus tax. It seems you need a transponder for “each” vehicle in NC so if towing you need get 2 transponders where in Florida you can add the toad to the one transponder account. (Transponder is also removable and can work in any vehicle that is on account). Also if you want a quarterly mailed copy of your charges in NC it costs $5.

“In my experience this is important for the privately run toll roads / bridges like the Chicago Skyway since their system won't see your new balance till the overnight refresh.”...didn’t realize there were “privately owned public roadways/bridges” ...how did that happen? Bad enough the States managed to create a way to charge you a toll for traveling on what is otherwise a Federal free interstate highway under the guise of purportedly “maintaining the roadway”...would even be so bad if they at least actually maintained the roadway

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:07 PM   #47

Quote:
...didn’t realize there were “privately owned public roadways/bridges” ...how did that happen?...
There are a couple of notable examples of states either issuing long-term leases or selling outright parts of their infrastructure to privately owned for-profit companies. The Chicago Skyway Bridge and the Indiana Tollway are two prominent examples, neither of which seem to have benefitted drivers on those roads. There are others, and with rare exceptions the driving public is not seeing the promised benefit.

We have to tread lightly on this part of the conversation, as if the thread drifts into a political conversation about these things they'll shut it down.

Why it's relevant to the conversation is to point out that there are many different computer systems involved in running toll roads across the country - some are government agencies and some are privately run businesses. They don't all get information about balance updates on your transponder accounts in real time, and you've got to keep a high enough minimum balance to carry you through the time until your replenishment shows up everywhere.

In other words, if you set your replenishment to happen when your balance hits $10, and you drive through another $10 worth of toll booths before your new balance shows up, your transponder will leave you high and dry. In my opinion, $10 is way too low for the replenish point. Mine is set up to replenish when it hits $80, and then it adds $100. On the run between Chicago and the east coast, you can easily blow through $80 in a day, even more if you are pulling a toad.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #48

"notable examples of states either issuing long-term leases or selling outright parts of their infrastructure to privately owned for-profit companies."...Yikes

I had set my automatic update to replace at $50 and update with $75...not bad for a newbee

Daniel
Old 11-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
How about using those clear license plate covers you see all the time...lol.

Seriously though..."EZPass (or SunPass in FL)" ...are they one the same? Since I will be in Florida will a New York EZpass work as a SunPass in Florida? Who sends (debits) you for the bill New York or Florida?
https://www.e-zpassiag.com/about-e-zpass
Old 11-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #50

EZ Passs in NY

I live in Niagara Falls,NY. I got my EZPass many years ago. Can't remember if their was a charge. I save a nickle on each trip over the Grand Island Bridge. The Grand Island bridge has gone to reading your license plate. No toll boths and no workers. Each trip is $1.00 and you are billed a service fee of $3.00. A rip off and a $ maker for NYS. We get a statement and replenish on our credit card. We don't travel much out of state.I got the pass years ago when DH was commuting to work via this bridge. Even though we pay tolls to use the NYS Thruway. It is well maintained/smooth.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
“I’m planning on opting for the “universal toll module”...oh great I am ordering their 2021 Bay Star 3401 model in April 2020 and never heard of that option or even special? Wonder what that will cost...lol
$273 and frankly its probably just another frustrating gadget thats more trouble than its worth. Looks good on paper though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CBAB31B-A439-434B-AC06-E9C3A67D2BCB.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	268110  
Old 11-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
I live in Niagara Falls,NY. I got my EZPass many years ago. Can't remember if their was a charge. I save a nickle on each trip over the Grand Island Bridge. The Grand Island bridge has gone to reading your license plate. No toll boths and no workers. Each trip is $1.00 and you are billed a service fee of $3.00. A rip off and a $ maker for NYS. We get a statement and replenish on our credit card. We don't travel much out of state.I got the pass years ago when DH was commuting to work via this bridge. Even though we pay tolls to use the NYS Thruway. It is well maintained/smooth.

Remind me not to cross that bridge. Tapan Zee bridge 50 cent difference for car. I will take it. They mail the bill and get paid two months later. [emoji41]
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #53

Very interesting article about this "new universal toll both module" being installed on new vehicles...https://itmsignup.com/about

New York...well it speaks for itself Have no idea how to get off Long Island (3 different toll ways I know of) and get on 95 south to Florida. Will figure it out. There is probably one way best for cars and another if you are in your coach towing a toad

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL

Daniel
Old 11-28-2019, 11:35 AM   #54

sounds interesting. but does anyone have one that can report if it lives up to the hype??
Old 11-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Very interesting article about this "new universal toll both module" being installed on new vehicles...https://itmsignup.com/about

New York...well it speaks for itself Have no idea how to get off Long Island (3 different toll ways I know of) and get on 95 south to Florida. Will figure it out. There is probably one way best for cars and another if you are in your coach towing a toad

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL
I like the concept, and write-up looks promising, but your previous reaction gave me pause and reminded me that many of these gadgets are a hassle to activate and cause more problems than they solve. Id be willing to pay the $273 if it was proven to be trouble free, but chances are there is an identical aftermarket device for less than half the price too.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I just posted this:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/univ...ml#post5055842

So after the “ridicule crowd” gets done telling me its a stupid question, already asked and answered, “I dont drive on toll roads”, “thats what your drivers window is for” , “its a govt conspiracy”, etc, (), we’ll see if we get some useful information.