Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #1

How Do You Reduce Wind Resistance???

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414292480.829607.jpg
Views: 3011
Size:  56.6 KB

So many of us who are RViers go south this time of year. Problem is, there is so much wind resistance in the average Motorhome, and it can severely effect gas milage. So my question is. What do you do to reduce Wind Resistance? I usually have never worried much about wind resistance, but with 2 larger motorhomes what can I do to reduce wind drag???

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When ever I see those signs, I always think "Well maybe they don't exist!".

To answer your question, I park the RV or go as slow as possible.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Buy a Prius 53mpg my motorhome 7mpg this averages out to30mpg so I can live with it. Hope this helps. haha good luck
Old 10-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Wind resistance and drag are different terms. Resistance is caused by the profile of the vehicle, the mirrors, windows, doors, etc. that cause the wind to have to move around the vehicle. The way the wind comes back into the void left the moving RV is drag. You'll see truck trailers with wings on the edges, top and bottom of the rear doors to reduce drag.

High winds pushing against the front of your RV will cause a dramatic reduction in MPG. The wind pushing from the rear will increase your MPG. From the side is the real danger. It can cause you to switch lanes or go off the road with no warning. A steady crosswind can cause you to turn the wheel to compensate for the side pressure until suddenly you pass something that blocks the wind, causing your RV to swerve before you can correct for the changing force.

I think the best idea is during high winds, park the RV. Change travel plans to travel early mornings when the wind isn't blowing yet. Reduce speed. There are devices sold to reduce some of the bad handling characteristics of RVs, some better than others. There's no place I've got to be in such a hurry that I can't wait out the wind.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:28 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to reduce wind resistance..

Well there are practical and non-practical means for doing this.

First: Wash and Wax.. this is #1 in my book, but do yourself a favor, Make a round trip and record fuel usage so you know you MPG, then Wash and Wax and make the same round trip again keeping Fuel records so you know your MPG... Post results please.

Next: The proper choice of a towed (If you are driving a motor home) I used to tow a 4,000 pound Chevy Lumina APV,, towed "Lighter" than my 2500 pound Dodge Neon believe it or not. My best guess is the effect it had on air flow at the rear of the motor home.

A "Spoiler" to break up the natural vacuum at the rear of the rig (The Lumina had one).

Drive slower (55-60 on most RVs)

Non-practrical: Streamline the MH (Remove things that stick out like awnings)
Old 10-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Wind resistance and drag are different terms. Resistance is caused by the profile of the vehicle, the mirrors, windows, doors, etc. that cause the wind to have to move around the vehicle. The way the wind comes back into the void left the moving RV is drag. You'll see truck trailers with wings on the edges, top and bottom of the rear doors to reduce drag.

High winds pushing against the front of your RV will cause a dramatic reduction in MPG. The wind pushing from the rear will increase your MPG. From the side is the real danger. It can cause you to switch lanes or go off the road with no warning. A steady crosswind can cause you to turn the wheel to compensate for the side pressure until suddenly you pass something that blocks the wind, causing your RV to swerve before you can correct for the changing force.

I think the best idea is during high winds, park the RV. Change travel plans to travel early mornings when the wind isn't blowing yet. Reduce speed. There are devices sold to reduce some of the bad handling characteristics of RVs, some better than others. There's no place I've got to be in such a hurry that I can't wait out the wind.
RV wings? Now that's an idea. I'm guessing you could get them at trucks stops or RV parts stores right??

cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofish View Post
Buy a Prius 53mpg my motorhome 7mpg this averages out to30mpg so I can live with it. Hope this helps. haha good luck
autofish
53 MPG??....when being towed my Saturn ION gets thousands of MPG!

cimplexsound
The only proven way that I know of to reduce wind resistance on a Motorhome... is to slow down!

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Drive only with a tailwind while going down hill.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #9

In my 5 million miles as a truck driver in 48 states and Canada, the wind almost always stops at night or is severely less. This is not the case on the coast. I owned my own truck and trailer so the fuel $ was out of my pocket and I became very good with saving fuel. Night driving is not for everyone but when in a high wind area it is a safe alternitive and a great way to save money.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
In my 5 million miles as a truck driver in 48 states and Canada, the wind almost always stops at night or is severely less. This is not the case on the coast. I owned my own truck and trailer so the fuel $ was out of my pocket and I became very good with saving fuel. Night driving is not for everyone but when in a high wind area it is a safe alternitive and a great way to save money.
Good one...never thought of that. Now all we need is good enough headlights to drive at night.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
RV wings? Now that's an idea. I'm guessing you could get them at trucks stops or RV parts stores right??

You could try these:

Airtab: Aerodynamic fuel savers for truck, tractor, trailer, bus, RV
How to: Streamline your RV and Save Fuel

Of course these do little for the side forces of a strong cross wind that can push you out of a lane.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Attachment 77440

So many of us who are RViers go south this time of year. Problem is, there is so much wind resistance in the average Motorhome, and it can severely effect gas milage. So my question is. What do you do to reduce Wind Resistance? I usually have never worried much about wind resistance, but with 2 larger motorhomes what can I do to reduce wind drag???

There are things you can do, most of which are likely to yield very small increments in MPG. Two that you can accomplish without any expenditures are:
1. Slow down. The lowest speed you can drive and stay in high gear is the best speed.
2. Tire pressure. Set all tire pressures to at least support the load. Adding about 10% can help rolling resistance.

When replacing tires, look for low rolling resistance designs.
Keep your drive train maintained & don't let your air filter get too dirty & restrictive.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do your best Robby Gordon, Jimmy Johnson or Tony Stewart impersonation and draft those (Mod Edit) tractor trailers real close-like. Following about 1 to 2 inches from the back bumper should be sufficient.

I would, however, maintain radio (CB) contact with the truck driver, because at that distance, you're not going to be able to see (Mod Edit) but the back door of his trailer, and stop in time should he jam on his brakes.

Ymmv....

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #14

On our previous coach, I was planning on making a front air dam out of conveyer belt
material. The underside had lots of "stuff" that would cause wind resistance. The dam would block it and the conveyor belt material was ridged enough to maintain shape at speed, but would flex if it hit an obstruction. I sold the coach before I put the air dam on .
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote