Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2021, 10:06 PM   #1

How do you store your water filters?

Just trying to figure out what to do with our under-sink activated charcoal filter in between trips. We usually take a couple long trips per year (4-5 weeks each) which means the coach sits for a few months at a time. I removed the filter and drained it after the last trip, but I'm wondering what happens to any water that I didn't get out. Is it safe to reuse the filter? These filters are $20-35 each so I hate to buy a new one every trip if I don't have to.

We mostly drink bottled water, but we use the filtered water for coffee, rinsing vegetables, dog water, etc.

When I bought the coach the P.O. had left the filter in place, and the first time I ran water through it the blackest, smelliest water you could imagine came out of the line, so I don't think storing it with the filter full of water is a good option somehow.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2021, 10:35 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My first DP had an under sink filter with it's own spigot at the sink. I just changed it once a year for 10 years and never had an issue. I know some worry about their RV water, we're not one of those and have never had a water issue in 50 years of RVing.

On our current and last Dutch Star, it had a large wet bay filter. I change it about every six to eight months to keep the flow up. In between trips, it stays sealed in it's housing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:55 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I have the same filter set up under the sink with similar experiences from PO. I remove the filter, let drain and dry out in the sink between trips. Reinstalling just prior to taking off again. I've been changing it out once a year.

I store rig with main tank drained and also sanitize the water tank at least once a year for good measure. I wouldn't get to concerned with what remains in the pipes if you sanitize at least once a year. Here's a link to the RV Geeks tank sanitizing instructions https://www.thervgeeks.com/sanitize-...-water-system/. I used 2 gallons of bleach for the 100 gal tank the first time per Country Coach instructions then flushed that all out which took a while but it did clean all the yuck out.

Once I got everything cleaned out from PO it has been working well.
Windward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #4

My RO system filters go into the refrigerator in the house between outings if the interval is more than 30 days.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you plan to remove the filters and reuse them later it would be best to put them in a freezer bag and freeze them. Germs aren't very active at below freezing temps. Personally, I leave mine in and replace them annually.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:24 PM   #6

I put mine in the freezer.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I put mine in the freezer.
I have avoided freezing mine with the concern the freezing would break-down the carbon block element. That's just me!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
Old 08-19-2021, 05:30 AM   #8

I tried to drain them but guessed the inside would never dry out and might be a moist, dark breeding ground for bad stuff.
I just poured in a little vodka to discourage bad stuff.
I've done the same with ice makers to winterize to avoid any pink.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I tried to drain them but guessed the inside would never dry out and might be a moist, dark breeding ground for bad stuff.
I just poured in a little vodka to discourage bad stuff.
I've done the same with ice makers to winterize to avoid any pink.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Good idea. Interesting potential for the first drink of water!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
Old 08-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I replace the whole house filter once a year just for General Principle.

Never had a problem.

The rig now sits unused a lot, just like me.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #11

We read on one of the filter mfg sites recommending RVers pull the elements, drain them and store in the fridge at their sticks and bricks. After draining, we wrap each in a paper towel and put in the fridge between trips. We replace them annually.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210817_214157331.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	340792Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210820-075517.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	340793
Old 08-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #12

I'm "RO dumb" is the 3filter setup prefiltering for the last RO part and your just quality filtering at the unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
We read on one of the filter mfg sites recommending RVers pull the elements, drain them and store in the fridge at their sticks and bricks. After draining, we wrap each in a paper towel and put in the fridge between trips. We replace them annually.

Attachment 340792Attachment 340793
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Thanks for the responses. This solution makes the most sense to me.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I'm "RO dumb" is the 3filter setup prefiltering for the last RO part and your just quality filtering at the unit.
Yes, that is my understanding, but we are not adding the RO step at the end. We just like this filter combination vs the blue inline.

Tags
water