Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2021, 06:49 PM   #1

How important is engine access when picking a DP

Trying to find a DP tag axle, 42-45', 2002-2009 vintage and have noticed that there are different access doors on the rear of motor homes. I read that the side radiator is important/mandatory but haven't read anything about engine access and what it might mean for regular self maintenance and cost of shop labor, etc. Any experiences/ideas are appreciated. Tks John M
Mongo159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Side radiator does a couple things.

The side radiator stack is easier to keep clean versus a rear radiator.

It is easier to access the engine for maintenance purposes for some of the components. Belts, idler pulley, water pump, AC compressor are all easier to get to.

Time is money so if you can get to it easier it will save if you take a rig to a shop.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:06 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I've seen some that require removing the floor in the rear to gain access to the engine components on top of the engine. Looks like it could take an hour or so to do.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I've seen some that require removing the floor in the rear to gain access to the engine components on top of the engine. Looks like it could take an hour or so to do.
Getting the access hatch up is fairly easy. However, the thing that would take, "an hour or so", is the cleaning of the carpet from all the oil and grease you just smeared!

Been there, done that!

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:51 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo159 View Post
Trying to find a DP tag axle, 42-45', 2002-2009 vintage and have noticed that there are different access doors on the rear of motor homes. I read that the side radiator is important/mandatory but haven't read anything about engine access and what it might mean for regular self maintenance and cost of shop labor, etc. Any experiences/ideas are appreciated. Tks John M
Mongo....if you're looking for a coach as you describe above, that large of a coach with a tag axle, will only come with a side radiator and full rear of the engine access. Some areas of the engine may require opening an interior hatch, but most of the important stuff will be accessible via the rear door(s).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #6

Just had a full service, oil change, checked everything. They did all from below. They rarely have to go in through the floor hatch.
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Mongo....if you're looking for a coach as you describe above, that large of a coach with a tag axle, will only come with a side radiator and full rear of the engine access. Some areas of the engine may require opening an interior hatch, but most of the important stuff will be accessible via the rear door(s).
Not sure about those older coaches, but my 43' (technically closer to 44' if I remember correctly), tag axle Ventana doesn't have a side radiator.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
Just had a full service, oil change, checked everything. They did all from below. They rarely have to go in through the floor hatch.

Only thing I can think of needing to use floor hatch is valve adjusting with a side radiator.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Only thing I can think of needing to use floor hatch is valve adjusting with a side radiator.

I can tell you that R&R of an ISL exhaust manifold was a LOT easier with access from the top. Been there, done that.

Same for many on-engine fuel filters.

Same for thermostat(s).

And, absolutely for valve adjustments.

Even the difference between a fore and aft bed vs transverse bed can make a huge difference in labor for even minor engine work.

But, as we already know, the interior designers, NOT the chassis engineers have sway on interior layouts/engine access. And, we, not them are to blame. Don't ask the right question, don't expect them to design to YOUR criteria.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:45 PM   #10

When I was researching my last DP I wanted a side radiator for access to things I could possibly fix in a pinch (like the serpentine belt). Although not a tag, my discovery 40G had a rear radiator and very good engine access thru the side panels. Fortunately, I’m never had to do any roadside repairs.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you perform your own repairs and maintenance, good access is VERY important. I have owned both a rear radiator coach with good access in the rear bath floor and a side radiator with great access through the rear bath floor. I access the coalescent filter and universals on the fan shaft from inside so I don't open it often but if I needed to get to the turbo or valves that is where I would work from.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
If you perform your own repairs and maintenance, good access is VERY important.

Actually, if you DON'T do your own work it, if anything even more important, as you are now paying $100+++/hour for them to access what you want them to work on!
Old 08-16-2021, 07:34 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
top of the engine stuff is nice through the hatch. I put down drop cloth's when work in from the top.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #14

Tks everyone, for the info

I am just trying to avoid some of the really bad ones that others have experience with and would red line them because the door is so small that it is impossible to do anything from the outside. I think it was a beaver coach that I saw that had something like a 3' x 2' door in the back. I would think that would be a disaster if you had to do much work on the engine? Don't know myself but just doing my homework and trying to be proactive. Tks John
Mongo159 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine