Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2015, 01:29 AM   #393

1987 Holiday Rambler Presidential

Good Day Folks,
New to us is a 87 HR Presidential on a Chevrolet P30 454 CI Seems It is very clean, has a little over 30K on the clock. I still need to pick it up. the Gentleman I purchased it from will hold it for me until the springtimes.

I like this one because it is Vintage and is in great shape.
I do have to look over some of the drive train and I want to install disc brakes
Balance the drive shaft, possible rebuild the rear end and add a posi unit.

It has a 3speed trans in it now. I'm thinking of seeing if I can install a 4speed
transmission in it. One of the things I think would troublesome for me is the shift linkage, I would suppose I would have to shorten the drive shaft.
I did see in one of the posts a question about an over and under drive.
Not sure what that means, and how it works.
Will it install behind the 454? Anyone have any answers about this. I was also on ebay and seen a 502 tow truck engine forged internals, roller lifters and rocker arms. Make will over 500 lbs/ft of torque and around 450 HP.
Should be and easy swap. I would also like to run electric fans. Less parasitic drag on the engine. I also want to install Doug Thorley Headers with Dyaflow dual exhaust. These need to be coated.
Another thing I want to do is install Load Leavers, and new tires. Does anyone know the tire size? Brand and Ply rating.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be very welcome. I have lots of experience
building Hot Rods, but no experience with Class A Motorhomes.

The Vehicle seemed to been setting around for a few years. He told me his
Grandparents own it for sometime. They seemed to enjoy it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded post. I do need some
information Please

Blessings
Rusty Youngblood

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Rusty_YB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #394

Rusty,

Nice find. I love the front end on those. I suggest you do two things. First, get any documents and manuals for the coach, along with photos of vehicle placards and data plates, and bring them with you for education and planning. Second, start a new thread in the Vintage RV section to discuss how to get it on the road and future modifications.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 11-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Rusty,

Nice find. I love the front end on those. I suggest you do two things. First, get any documents and manuals for the coach, along with photos of vehicle placards and data plates, and bring them with you for education and planning. Second, start a new thread in the Vintage RV section to discuss how to get it on the road and future modifications.

Mike
Thank you Mike. I think I'll take your advice.
The seller does have quite a lot of information on this vehicle as well as logs of what has been done to her.
Thanks again for your input.
Rusty
Rusty_YB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #396

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have one exactly like yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey1971 View Post
Just purchased a 1996 37' endeavor le.
Want to chat or ask questions?

Dave at droberts97470@gmail.com
Old 11-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #397

From experience, I can suggest two things; check all the rubber hoses of the gasoline line as well as all the filters. One of them is hidden about midway of the coach under the steps. If the hoses haven't been changed in the last few years there is every possibility they are cracked and letting in air. Very common on the 80's models. The other thing is to cherish those tail light lens. If something were to happen to them, you will have to do some serious scrounging to replace them, and it won't be cheap. You won't find new ones. I am surprised it didn't come with disk brakes. Mine did, but I have a tag axle.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #398

I am embarrassed to say what I have after seeing all of these expensive RV's out there but I will anyhow!
1987 Imperial, 33 foot. 454 chev engine about 45000 miles. My third RV but second HR. I bought this one in very good shape for $2900.00 Can't beat that! Looks like new tires, has the 6 wheels in the rear. Just had new carpet and upholstery done. The back now has a double size bed instead of the two singles it came with.
I just replaced the rear ac with heat.
Also replaced the front shocks and air cushion spring shocks, and brakes. Did this myself and saved a lot of money. The front brakes are disk.
I know these newer ones are very nice, but just remember what I paid for mine when you guys see driving down I-20 or I-95!
The front side blinker light lens fell off this summer I can't locate one either!
glennj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #399

83 HR Aluma lite 30th Anniversary model

Hello, my wife and I just got our first rv last week, 83 Hr 30'. 60k and all appliances work (haven't checked hot water heater yet). Drove it 2 hours home from the dealer and it drives great. We plan to take our first overnighter tomorrow to a local state park to see how it goes. One drip from the front ac unit (already have replacement gasket kit to install) and one damp spot in the rear (have eternabond kit to do all roof seams and vents, etc).
Wife is getting ready to recover all upholstery and make new curtains. We love it so far and hope to put many miles on it this year.
Love the forum!
hpbcrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:04 AM   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpbcrillo View Post
Hello, my wife and I just got our first rv last week, 83 Hr 30'. 60k and all appliances work (haven't checked hot water heater yet). Drove it 2 hours home from the dealer and it drives great. We plan to take our first overnighter tomorrow to a local state park to see how it goes. One drip from the front ac unit (already have replacement gasket kit to install) and one damp spot in the rear (have eternabond kit to do all roof seams and vents, etc).
Wife is getting ready to recover all upholstery and make new curtains. We love it so far and hope to put many miles on it this year.
Love the forum!
#1 Tires, Tires, Tires and Tires. CHECK the DOT CODES no matter how good they look. RV tires do not wear out - They TIME out. Tires should be replaced at the 5-6 year mark.
wajell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #401

I'll help revived an old post we bought an 2001hr dp 50000miles had been looking at American eagles just went to look at this one to compare.ended up having everything we wanted and was super clean second owner 330hp Cummins in a Freightliner chassis tear radiator didn't like having motors on side radiators or non graspable ball joint on the older Spartans solid font axle vs independent front suspension less moving parts. We had a 04kountry star the hr has nowhere near the storage but is as comfortable.are very happy with it and no coupon book paid for
Old 12-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajell View Post
#1 Tires, Tires, Tires and Tires. CHECK the DOT CODES no matter how good they look. RV tires do not wear out - They TIME out. Tires should be replaced at the 5-6 year mark.
Yes. The 4 rears are all good to go according to the date code.
Odd, I can't find the code on the 2 fronts. Will check the manufacturers website for more info. Thanks for the reminder. BTW, the tires all have inflation max of 110f / 100 rear, and they all were around 50 psi at the dealers. Now they are all over 90 psi. Rides and steers better now.
hpbcrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #403

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droberts9747 View Post
Want to chat or ask questions?

Dave at droberts97470@gmail.com
sure feel free to call me any time 904 534 6589 dave or fxdave@gmail.com
Old 12-30-2015, 11:45 PM   #404

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hello I just recently got my 4th RV and it is my second motorhome... I bought a 1988 Holiday Rambler Imperial... Me and my wife love it... its not perfect but I can work with it...It has no heater.... Refridge needs replaced... putting in a residential...

Has 10 new tires..... I wish I could find more parts or info on it

GlockGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:41 AM   #405

Winnebago Owners Club
Any body know how to turn the water on for the icemaker?
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:41 AM   #406

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Any body know how to turn the water on for the icemaker?

My icemaker water valve was below the refrigerator, in the furnace compartment. Behind the fridge is also possible, accessible from the outside

Mike

Tags
cat diesel, freightliner, holiday rambler, monaco