Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2005, 04:41 PM   #1

Just curious as to how many of you use a surge protector to protect the circuitry & appliances in your motor home? If you do use one, is it hardwired or portable?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2005, 06:12 PM   #2

I bought the hard wired 50 amp unit from Progressive at the Newmar Int'l rally last June. It monitors both hot legs, and checks for 60 cycles, open neutral and proper ground BEFORE it will allow the power to enter your coach from the pedestal. It also offers high and low voltage protection as well as surge once you are connected. I think it is tops. You can learn more and purchase one from the "rv upgrades" section of irv2.com. It is expensive, but with the cost to repair all these systems in a modern MH, it is cheap insurance and great peace of mind.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:35 PM   #3

Barry,

This is one subject that doesn't deserve to be questioned. "Just Do IT."

About the first time you connect to a faulty wired pedestal or a surge hits your coach you'll understand why my response is so direct.

"NEVER CONNECT TO * ANY * SHORE LINE POWER WITHOUT A SURGE PROTECTION DEVICE IN LINE."

Tomcat F15
Old 01-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Edgray,
If it is hard wired, do you use the original coach plug in, or do you plug into the surge protector?
Old 01-27-2005, 07:30 PM   #5

I had the unit installed "professionally" by the seller. As I remember it, he took my original power cord which went to my converter and cut it off about 12" from the entrance to the converter. He then mounted the new unit next to the converter, and connected the 12" stub from the converter to the output terminals of the new unit. Then the remaining portion of the original power cord was connected to the input terminals of the new unit. Therefore all I do is plug my slightly shorter power cord, with it's original plug still intact, into my site's power supply. It does not matter to the protector whether the supply is 50amp or less, as I plug in to a 20amp service at the storage shed. The unit will first check for proper polarity, ground, etc. then it displays the available voltage and cycles. Only if all is ok does the unit then "switch" the power on to the converter. It actually makes a loud solid sound when the switch "makes", and then the digital display scrolls thru the items being monitored and shows the voltage on each leg with the actual amps being drawn on that leg, as well as the cycles (usually displays 60). I have seen significant differences in voltage from one leg to the other (when connected to 50amp service) and the amp draw is different on each leg depending on which appliances are running. Only once has the unit shut off the incoming power, and that was due to a low voltage situation. When the voltage returned to normal, the unit automatically turns the power back on, and displays a code to explain why service was interrupted. This type of unit can save your unit from "brown out" damage, but it will not serve as a power booster-those are called "autoformers"- and they typically do not offer the level of protection I have been describing. If you want to see Manuf. specs, go to RV Upgrades section here at irv2.com and look under "Surge Protectors" then scroll down to the 50 HW "EMS". I guess you can tell I'm "sold" on mine!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:02 AM   #6

Mine is portable... a Surgeguard 30!

Regards
CalgaryCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We have the hardwired Surgeguard in our unity. Having experienced a burned out transfer switch, we will not ever plug in without protection.

We've had both the portable model and the hardwired and prefer the hardwired for convenience as well as security for the surgeguard.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:00 AM   #8

We had the 50 amp EMS by Progessive Industries that Edgray has referred to hard wired into our coach shortly after taking delivery----that was almost 4 years ago. We had it installed by Progessive at a FMCA rally----it is a great product, and has "saved" us several time.

Mary

2001 38' Newmar Dutch Star DP
dapmfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:36 PM   #9

My neighbor who has a Bluebird asked where I got mine (Camping World). He has recently incurred $3,000 and still paying due to lack of protection. I have the portable so I can keep it when I change coaches. For security just wrap a chain around Surgeguard and post and lock it. It's very cheap insurance.
Al
P.S. I wonder when I graduated from a "Junior Member"
Old 01-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #10

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
I installed a 50 amp SurgeGuard hardwired that I bought from CW. I went to an electrical supply store and bought about 18" of flexable 6/3 wire. I disconnected the shoreline cord from the ATS and attached it to the input end of the SurgeGuard. I then connected the 18" section of wire to the output end of the SurgeGuard and ran the other end into the ATS.

I've been thinking of moving the SurgeGuard from in front of the ATS to the other side so that the generator power is tested prior to transfer.

http://www.bobhatch.com/electricStuf...eSupressor.htm
Old 02-10-2005, 07:30 AM   #11

I learned the hard way .... then purchased a portable 50 amp surge guard..
Old 02-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #12

bbarry, I have the 50 amp surge protector from EMS, and it's hard wired into my electrical bay. Ed
Old 02-11-2005, 03:48 AM   #13

I have the 50 amp portable one from Camping World.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:59 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I haven't used the big one yet, been using a single one for each appliance like I have in all MH's. After reading all these excellent posts, think its time to get the big one, this spring, will put in the order ASAP.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote