Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #1

How much Rust is TOO Much?

I Sure could use some advice from anyone whose ever purchased a new motor home. I took delivery of mine this past October. Purchased from the dealer new, it's on a 2018 F 350 Chassis. After recently needing to look underneath I was kind of shocked by all the deep rust that's everywhere underneath. Now, I expected some surface rust because I understand that these chassis can sit outside for some time from production to assembly, but its so bad I've got some bolts actually disintegrating from rusting! I recently saw a TV news segment warning consumers about used flood cars, I feel that I purchased a NEW flood vehicle! Is this what I should be expecting on a new RV or do I have reason to be concerned? Hoping these pictures are attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	rvrust.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	229306

Click image for larger version

Name:	rvrust4.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	229307
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOIB View Post
I Sure could use some advice from anyone whose ever purchased a new motor home. I took delivery of mine this past October. Purchased from the dealer new, it's on a 2018 F 350 Chassis. After recently needing to look underneath I was kind of shocked by all the deep rust that's everywhere underneath. Now, I expected some surface rust because I understand that these chassis can sit outside for some time from production to assembly, but its so bad I've got some bolts actually disintegrating from rusting! I recently saw a TV news segment warning consumers about used flood cars, I feel that I purchased a NEW flood vehicle! Is this what I should be expecting on a new RV or do I have reason to be concerned? Hoping these pictures are attached.Attachment 229306

Attachment 229307

If this is NEW and Unused, nope. Do not take delivery. Sounds like you already did. I would get back with the seller or Manufacturer and be looking for any kind of recourse possible. Politely, but firmly.

If no recourse possible, then I would get that addressed asap, looking for other areas that might not be as bad (yet) and stopping it from growing any more.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #3

That would not be OK for me.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #4

Up front, by your feet pull a kick panel off....look for a water line....caused by a flood if water got that high
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOIB View Post
I Sure could use some advice from anyone whose ever purchased a new motor home. I took delivery of mine this past October. Purchased from the dealer new, it's on a 2018 F 350 Chassis. After recently needing to look underneath I was kind of shocked by all the deep rust that's everywhere underneath. Now, I expected some surface rust because I understand that these chassis can sit outside for some time from production to assembly, but its so bad I've got some bolts actually disintegrating from rusting! I recently saw a TV news segment warning consumers about used flood cars, I feel that I purchased a NEW flood vehicle! Is this what I should be expecting on a new RV or do I have reason to be concerned? Hoping these pictures are attached.Attachment 229306

Attachment 229307

We'd all be very interested in hearing the outcome of your investigation(s) and what the final resolve is.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scary at least and fraud at worse. Following for follow-up. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #7

Those spots are from where cuts or welding was done and not repainted. There are solutions and if you will search using the box at the top, you should get some great responses from previous postings.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #8

If it’s truely a flood victim there should be as Bob pointed out other evidence.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #9

Depending on the chassis there might be a separate rust warranty on it. Ford I think was 5 years. That is more than a normal amount of rust one should expect on a new chassis. It was probably in an area next to the ocean from the looks of it.
I worked on heavy trucks for years in Michigan and would expect to see that amount of rust after 5 to 10 years.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
Depending on the chassis there might be a separate rust warranty on it. Ford I think was 5 years. That is more than a normal amount of rust one should expect on a new chassis. It was probably in an area next to the ocean from the looks of it.
I worked on heavy trucks for years in Michigan and would expect to see that amount of rust after 5 to 10 years.
Agree fully. I've worked a lot with flood-damaged vehicles. "Rescued" more than a hundred flooded Ford cars, vans and trucks following a deadly flood in Tulsa several years ago. Even with the expected telltale signs of mud and water lines, it took a while for rust to begin to appear. I can't imagine a "new" vehicle showing that kind of rust just from passive exposure to the elements.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #11

Thanks for everyone's input. I've got an email, along with photos in to Winnebago as of this morning. I haven't heard back from dealer's service dept. who was supposed to call Winnebago themselves yesterday and call me back (no surprise there!) ...So, I'll wait a day or two before re contacting Winnebago. I'll keep you all posted as I progress on this journey. If anyone else out there has a similar situation, that would be interesting to know as well. Happy Holidays to ALL!
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #12

The factory weight sticker on the door frame will have the date of chassis manufacture. If it was last winter perhaps it was driven in salt then parked at the Winnebago factory.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #13

Ford isn't gonna touch it!! That piece is the frame extension that was added by Winabagel to start. The piece in the second has been cut with a torch and I don't think Ford would be doing that and that hose clamp isn't OEM, so that was probably another one of those fine Winabagel quality builds I keep hearing about.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 PM   #14

As ThePowells noted, the pics show a welded on frame extension. WBO does not take any pains at all to clean and protect areas they grind, sand, drill or weld on.

The second pic is a manufactured angle that retains the Onan 4000w generator in its bay (thats the bottom of the generator in the lower part of the pic.) This is a WBO manufactured part and they generally do a very poor job (actually none at all) of prepping the metal for paint. The same bracket on my '07 View was also rusted like that, as were many other WBO manufactured steel parts under the coach. Once in a while you find a part that is perfect, probably manufactured by a vendor to WBO.

Its an ongoing problem that WBO will not admit to and could care less about. You hae to take each bracket and glass bead blast it and repaint it, then it will be fine.

An RV is an ongoing hobby of restoration and repair. Hate to say it, but if you don't like it, WBO isn't about to do anything about it and its so normal, your options are to 1) ignore it, 2) repair it, or 3) sell it.

Charles

Tags
rust