Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
why do auto retracts have 3 settings if the highest is safe? DONT TRUST UR WIND SENSOR...
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
why do auto retracts have 3 settings if the highest is safe? DONT TRUST UR WIND SENSOR...
My first power awning had a wind sensor. I soon disabled it as it was worthless.

If we're not there the awning is retracked, that's as automatic as you can get.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before the awning rolls over on the roof.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will give you what I consider the best answer (Somewhere I said the default for A&E auto awnings is something like 12 or 15 MPH but this answer is better)

IF you are saying to yourself "Humm, should I roll up that awning, it's getting bit breezy out here" the answer is YES!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm anal about it, if the sky sounds like thunder or rain, or if the forecast calls for it during the night, the awning goes up. We don't use lights on the awning so it's not that difficult. Our last trip which was 6 days I bet I rolled it in at least 4 times due to weather concerns. Better safe than sorry I say.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) View Post
I'm anal about it, if the sky sounds like thunder or rain, or if the forecast calls for it during the night, the awning goes up. We don't use lights on the awning so it's not that difficult. Our last trip which was 6 days I bet I rolled it in at least 4 times due to weather concerns. Better safe than sorry I say.
Sounds to me that you are just being responsible knowing the limitations of a fabric awning. I don't have much sympathy for people who lose their awning in a high wind. If they don't realize that the awning is a big sail in the wind, they are asking for losing the awning.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I think when you start considering the question... it's time to roll it up.
+ 1
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
My opinion is like others above have mentioned. If you are in a position to wonder if it time then it is. Why take a chance on damaged awning and awning parts? The stronger the wind the harder it is to take in. I lived on a sailboat for 12 years and used to like to say something like it's wind and wind makes a sail boat go. A couple of times trying to reef or remove a sail that is full of wind is not fun and is dangerous. I learned to be cautious with the wind. I put awnings in the same category as sails.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
If there is no hurricane in the area. I put mine out the last of September in Florida and never put it up until the 1st of May.

It is tied down with one of those metal cork screw and heavy spring and heavy strap. Also a flapper on each side of the awning.

I am sure over the last 12 years it has withstood a lot of gust up to at least 45 MPH maybe more.

It is pointed to the east as most of the winds and rain storms come from the west. But not all of them, once in a while they can come in from the NE.

I did lose one over a year ago in May when in Indiana on a lake. I didn't have it tied down and probable wouldn't have helped anyway.
A sheer wind came out of nowhere and put it on top of the roof. I was inside at the time. No kind of warning. Just a big blast of air and it was over with.

I was back to the same spot this year. I never put the new awning out.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #24

If your rig has a Carefree of Colorado "One Touch" awning then stow it immediately and don't trust the auto retract system as it will not retract the awning fast enough. If you don't stow it you will be replacing it.

THe arm design of this awning is very bad as any strong billowing will bend and destroy the extended arms. Parts are no longer available for this awning so the only option is to upgrade the arms to newer models such as the Eclipse arms... which are a much better design. So how do I know this..... call it poor judgment... leading to experience and subsequent expenditure of $$$$.

Tags
awning