Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2023, 04:43 PM   #43

Starting diesel engines

It is hard to tell after reading a number of the post,if some of these ideas are old wives, tales or are they actual facts that are taken from manufactures written operators manual or written bulletins. I have yet to see any recommendations for diesel engines in the operators manual. The only recommendations I have seen is in the motorhome with the Diesel engine generator ,they recommend running every month under load, i’m not sure if that’s for the diesel engine or the generator.
Anyway, this is what I’ve experienced over the years, running, combines with diesel engines and tractors and trucks on the farm.
We have two John Deere tractors that both have over 20,000 hours on and the one has only had the injectors done once. we have never added diesel additive to the fuel.
Often the diesel engines sit for 4 to 6 months without being started. Sometimes after that when we started them they run a little rough and maybe even stall but we restart and they run great many more hours without a problem.
I had an irrigation run with a diesel engine, and when I quit irrigating, I forgot about the 250 gallons left in the tank out in the field for about five years and so I went to the co-op fuel supply and asked him and he said get a sample and will send it into the refinery to check it, they said it was OK and I put it in the tractors and they ran just fine.
We live in Saskatchewan, which is in Canada for those that don’t know and maybe that has something to do with preserving the fuel, etc. in a relatively cold dry climate.
This last fall I also asked the co-op manager about how cold can a person run summer fuel and he said around 0F. that seems rather cool to me, but over the years we found the different machines would give problems before it got down to 0F.
31dh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2023, 06:49 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveha View Post
AJmike do you disconnect the battery cable by the "gas" pedal? One of the first times I started my rv after sitting, I hooked up the cable and immediately tried to start the rv, it started but ran terrible. I discovered if I connect the cable and wait 5 minutes, and turn the key on until the lights go out, turn key off, then turn back on then start it fires up like it has never been off. It sat for 8 months during the covid lockdown, and when I finally went to start it, followed my routine and it started right up with no issues.
The starter battery for the Sprinter is hidden inside a bolted down compartment under the driver's seat, and is really difficult to get to so, no, I don't disconnect it. With my previous RVs I made a habit of disconnecting the battery so that it was not drawn down by the regular electronics of the cab. And, in fact, that worries me a bit. I do now carry one of those electronic starters with me just because of that.

I can give your process of switching on the power and waiting a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveha View Post
Mercedes in Tucson said not to add any additives, but they said this additive wouldn't hurt, so I add this every Nov. BIOBOR JF Diesel Fuel Additive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you notice any real difference in how the diesel performs with it compared to without it?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:35 AM   #45
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Do you notice any real difference in how the diesel performs with it compared to without it?

The BioBar additive is like giving your RV a vaccine against the dreaded algae disease.

As long as you use it, the fuel won’t grow the little micro-organisms (“algae” they call it) which will clog the fuel filters.

You never know exactly if or when your fuel will become contaminated…… so better to prevent, rather than be stuck on the side of the road with clogged filters.

So, no, you won’t notice any difference in the way the engine runs…..it’s just there as a ounce of prevention.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:23 AM   #46

I don't notice any difference in performance. Your 2020 should have a battery disconnect under a cover by the "gas" pedal. Here are some docs explaining how to disconnect the battery. If you have an auxiliary battery you have to pull a fuse also. The owners manual shows where it is. I pull mine if it it going to sit for over 2 weeks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2019sprinter-emergency-battery.pdf (313.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf switch.pdf (185.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-24-2023, 09:33 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchmaniii View Post
I have a DP and usually start it to drop the jacks or run the slides out to work on it. I was told that the engine should be run when doing this. As a rule, I don't drive it the 25 miles or so that is recommended here. I have not had much issue with how the coach runs when doing this but wondering if I need to change things up.
Also, as I do my own oil changes and generator service, is it advisable to run the engine/generator to warm the oil up before changing it or not?
For the short amount of time you are running the engine for slide and jack operation it will be ok. While plugged in, (charger on) we can move our slides and jacks without starting the engine. Our short run time is for airing up to get to ride height before moving the slides in.
Regarding oil changes, it is always best to run the engine for 4-5 minutes to get the oil warm and circulated before draining.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizbad View Post
For the short amount of time you are running the engine for slide and jack operation it will be ok. While plugged in, (charger on) we can move our slides and jacks without starting the engine. Our short run time is for airing up to get to ride height before moving the slides in.
Regarding oil changes, it is always best to run the engine for 4-5 minutes to get the oil warm and circulated before draining.
Tizbad, I usually start the M/H before doing the oil changes as you suggested. As far as moving the slides and jacks, do you have to have the key on to do so? I have mine plugged in but can't activate anything unless the key is on. I have moved slides and raised jacks both with the key on and key off in the past. The only noticeable difference is in the speed in which the slides move in or out.
henchmaniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:56 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
The starter battery for the Sprinter is hidden inside a bolted down compartment under the driver's seat, and is really difficult to get to so, no, I don't disconnect it. With my previous RVs I made a habit of disconnecting the battery so that it was not drawn down by the regular electronics of the cab. And, in fact, that worries me a bit. I do now carry one of those electronic starters with me just because of that.

I can give your process of switching on the power and waiting a try.

Mike, the battery under the seat is your auxiliary battery and it's purpose is to keep certain things from drawing down your starting battery when parked. Your starting battery is under the driver's side floorboard and can be disconnected by lifting the heavy cable right next to the accelerator pedal off of it's stud.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:51 PM   #50

It would be hard to drive The Coach without starting the engine first ha ha ha ha
Old 01-25-2023, 06:50 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Mike, the battery under the seat is your auxiliary battery and it's purpose is to keep certain things from drawing down your starting battery when parked. Your starting battery is under the driver's side floorboard and can be disconnected by lifting the heavy cable right next to the accelerator pedal off of it's stud.
Thank you. I guess I learned something new today.

I looked in the manual and it says that I should also disconnect the auxiliary battery if I am going to disconnect the starter battery. It also says to wait 15 minutes after switching off the electrical system.

With my older RVs I used to just have a battery disconnect installed in the engine compartment next to the battery and would switch off the entire electric system when I parked the RV. I guess those days are gone.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:42 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchmaniii View Post
Tizbad, I usually start the M/H before doing the oil changes as you suggested. As far as moving the slides and jacks, do you have to have the key on to do so? I have mine plugged in but can't activate anything unless the key is on. I have moved slides and raised jacks both with the key on and key off in the past. The only noticeable difference is in the speed in which the slides move in or out.
Good for you on warm oil for changing. Your generator needs the same treatment.
For the jacks, I turn the key to accessory mode to operate them. This keeps the jacks down alarm from sounding. All slides operate with the key in the off position. Either the large slide or the bedroom and kitchen slides don’t operate when the engine is running. I can’t remember today. The Newmar tech. told me to always be plugged in, or have the generator running to operate the slides and always verify that the batteries are “bridged”. (Lightening bolt on SilverLeaf) If the batteries are not bridged, a few seconds with the headlights on causes them to bridge. Then it is ok to move the large slide. I’m sure this keeps the amps down due to not letting the voltage sink too much.
Ours is a 2016, and I suspect some of this may have changed with newer Newmar coaches. Especially with push button starting.

Thanks,
Stu
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:26 AM   #53

This is a topic that is raised on a regular basis on this and other forums.

I thought it might be helpful to see what Cummins recommends for their engines used in Motorhome applications.

So, here is the publication that advises best practices for those of us with Cummins powered rigs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins RV Engine Operation.pdf (197.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-27-2023, 07:52 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
This is a topic that is raised on a regular basis on this and other forums.

I thought it might be helpful to see what Cummins recommends for their engines used in Motorhome applications.

So, here is the publication that advises best practices for those of us with Cummins powered rigs.
Thank you for that information.

Apparently they suggest 3-5 minutes for both warmup after starting before driving and cooldown after stopping before shutting off the engine. That is good to know.

Tags
diesel, engine