Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2023, 10:09 PM   #29

Had an acquaintance with a 18 year old class-c. They were looking for a long term stay at a local park, here in Santa Clara.

They had to have their 120V AC inspected, and have their furnace removed before the RV park would allow them to stay the year. Fire reasons. Nothing about a 10-year rule.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2023, 04:36 AM   #30

I was at a park in St Augustine that has a 10 year rule. Down the row was an old school bus conversion. It was in very poor condition and the owner was painting the roof at his spot. I am not sure how much they truly enforce these rules. I would not worry if your coach was in good condition
Winger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:47 AM   #31
tcg

If any park asks the age of my RV or asks for a photo I move on.

I really have no interest in staying in a park around people that judge others by the year and look of their RV.

Of course state parks welcome everyone so that's where we do most of our RVing.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 02:38 PM   #32

From my experience it is more an issue of how the RV looks rather than a specific 10 year period. We no longer have our old RV but it was more than 10 years old and every time an RV park would ask about the age and I told them 11 years they would go outside and look at it, and then say it was OK. We were never actually denied a spot because of the age.

I am in sympathy with those that say that they would boycott anyplace that would deny entry to an old RV, but sometimes that is hard to do. We travel to a lot of places where there are few RV parks and many of those that are there are noisy and unpleasant. Faced with not having a decent place to stop we will stay at one of those parks.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 02:45 PM   #33

I've seen 10 years or send pictures. However, I've seldom been asked the question for reservations.
2024 Brinkley G 3500 #39
2017 F450
Always in the Dawg Haus
MKwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
From what I understand Rv's at a certain age will no longer be admitted to a campground as it is deemed too old. How old is too old?. Thanks
Usually 10 year and older but all that I have seen is that if your coach is say 11 years old it will be inspected at arrival. If determined to be a POS you are denied entry and forfeit the deposit. Have seen plenty of old coaches but well care for at those same locations.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 02:59 PM   #35

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
We've encountered this rule occasionally. Primarily when traveling to areas overflowing with RVs (think AZ), areas with a high percentage of snowbirds (AZ again), and many upscale "resort" RV parks. John Wayne's daughter owns a resort down the road from us and they have a 10-year rule, though some of the RV's in there are pretty bad.

Having said that, our experience is that it the RV park will generally ask me to send them photos of our rig for management to review and approve. We've never been turned down for the age of our RV.

Interestingly, we were never turned down when we had our Rottweiler. In fact, the RV park operators usually commented on how nice she was. OTOH, we were turned away from a park in Phoenix shortly after the Rottie passed, with a 4-month old Rough Collie puppy because she was too big.

Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #36

I've been asked how old the rig is, but only out of curiosity. Never ever came up that I may have been turned away
Old 04-06-2023, 03:25 PM   #37

The deal is, keep them up in good shape. After selling my 29 year old Prevost XL a couple years back that look like a new one, bought this 19 year old Revolution 40 C (2004). Looks like it just came off the showroom , inside and out. Don't let them get run down if you can help it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40 C.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	389703  
glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM   #38

I saw a Class A that I believe was less than 10 and the owner had allowed or done it himself, to be completely graffitied front to back. Saw it at a state campground near Pismo Beach Ca. Will try to find my pic from a year ago.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:04 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Our coach always identifies as a 9 year old coach!
Best comment of the day Don! Thanks for the laugh. My coach will now begin identifying as a 9-year old.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Our 1999 Bounder has never been denied at any park and we have been all over the U.S. and some of Canada. Chuck

Mine too and it's a '92. So clearly the parks are protecting themselves from Cousin Eddy and him saying, "Don't go gettin' too attached Clark, That baby is leaving here with us when we go home next month."

Your's is gorgeous and it's maintained. It's getting in. No one running a business turns away money for no good reason. I've had them ask me to have a look at mine first, but when they did, it was no issue.
EP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:28 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The primary purpose of the 10 year rule is to allow campgrounds the ability to keep out certain folks that may cause them trouble. It is NOT about appearances or wanting to look good.

If a camper rolls in and then later refuses to check-out, this can cause great issues to the Campground. So, the Campground wants to make sure that you can afford the site, and that you will continue to pay for the site (if you stay) and that you will leave in a timely basis. The vast majority of the issues with folks that check into a campground and then refuse to leave are in older and not well maintained campers. So, if your RV looks like you are taking care of it, and you appear to be a reasonable and dependable camper, then they want your business.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:53 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I first ran into this rule in 1997 at a park on the west side of Eagle Mountain Lake in Texas. Can't remember which park but I was shocked enough to still remember it 26 years later. Fortunately, my coach was a 1992 Georgia Boy Persuit.

Most recently we ran into it in Las Vegas about 3 weeks ago at Las Vegas Motorcoach Resort. Not only do they have the 10 year rule but they only allow Class A coaches. We stayed there for a week, and it was an amazing place. However, there were a few coaches there that were definitely over 10 years old although in amazing condition.

It really doesn't matter why they have the rule...it is their park their rules. The last thing we need is more laws telling small businesses what they can and cannot do.

I once tried to reserve at a park that didn't allow kids. I don't agree with that one for sure but support their right to hate kids. I tell myself they raised a batch of bad kids and so never want to deal with them again.