Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2022, 10:38 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
How they build them in Europe

Interesting video, I don't know if any of our North American manufacturers have ever or will ever work to these standards.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2022, 06:51 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, what a great video. If the coaches in the states were built half as carefully, it would be a huge improvement. I wish the biggest issue one would find with a new coach is a basement door needs to be aligned better.

On a side note, love watching videos of how things are made. Find it fascinating, noting is ever as simple as I think it may be.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:52 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Germans built the motorhome pictured below. It is a 'Man'. I think the prices start at ≈900,000. Now that the dollar and the Euro are about equal the prices start at ≈$933,000. This is a 4x4 making sure that you don't get stuck! This was near Rocky Mountain National Park last October. Man also makes a 6x6 version.

I talked to the couple who own it. They are touring the world. They have the MH shipped to the continent they are going to visit and tour from there. So far they have toured Africa, Australia, North America and soon are going to South America.

They haven't been home to Zurich (I think they said Zurich) in several years!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221006_104210.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	381515  
Old 11-25-2022, 08:28 AM   #4

Check this video on how Jayco build their product.

The European units had a one piece floor that would make access to the drain tanks difficult. I did not see them pressurizing the drain system for leaks. But very interesting.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:17 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Their technique seems to not lend itself toward slide outs.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Their technique seems to not lend itself toward slide outs.
My opinion, fit and finish look great. However, I'm not seeing much robustness as far as materials go. No frame so I bet it would be tough to install a reliable slide. These RVs are made to be light weight for sure. Good for efficiency but I doubt much good at all in surviving an accident or even a fender bender.

I guess there is a bit of a chassis so they might do better than the euro trailer in this video did. Occurs at about the 2:25 minute mark.

I know none of us want to experience an accident in a typical RV since most aren't built to keep us safe like a regular automobile can. The first time I saw that trailer in the video disintegrate was an eye opener for me.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:34 PM   #7

Have you ever seen what happens to a travel trailer in a rollover or collision. It turns into a mound of toothpicks and plastic. Many MH's are not much different. I remember when some MH's had steel roll bars. Vogue was one. Bluebirds survived the school bus" drop from a crane" test. I doubt many of today's units are that strong.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 11-25-2022, 08:00 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
My opinion, fit and finish look great. However, I'm not seeing much robustness as far as materials go. No frame so I bet it would be tough to install a reliable slide. These RVs are made to be light weight for sure. Good for efficiency but I doubt much good at all in surviving an accident or even a fender bender.

I guess there is a bit of a chassis so they might do better than the euro trailer in this video did. Occurs at about the 2:25 minute mark.

I know none of us want to experience an accident in a typical RV since most aren't built to keep us safe like a regular automobile can. The first time I saw that trailer in the video disintegrate was an eye opener for me.
Ha!

I'm impressed that dude at the 2:15 mark got his 4-way flashers on before he finished skidding to a stop !
Old 11-26-2022, 05:03 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post

Yep, they are tiny with not much amenities. Efficiency is key as their fuel prices & taxes have been much higher than ours for decades.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:29 AM   #10

Don’t they also have tank drains that empty over grates in the ground, with no hoses? I remember reading about that somewhere.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:38 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Yes, they have tank drains over grates with cameras to confirm alignment. On the hole one has to remember, they are made for Europe where they have occupied territory for thousands of years. As a consequence their roads and access for the most part, are smaller and narrower than North America. And they do not do slide outs as that is so much excess weight, lowering efficiency and fuel mileage. Heavier fuel taxes and annual vehicle tax make it a bit onerous. But still interesting as opposed to much of our emptying a box of toothpicks and letting street walk-ins assemble same.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:09 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Have you ever seen what happens to a travel trailer in a rollover or collision. It turns into a mound of toothpicks and plastic. Many MH's are not much different. I remember when some MH's had steel roll bars. Vogue was one. Bluebirds survived the school bus" drop from a crane" test. I doubt many of today's units are that strong.
Not that I ever want to experience a roll-over, but our Winnebago has a steel cage around the driver/passenger area, and aluminum framing for the rest of the house. I suspect many other makes are built similar.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
Yep, they are tiny with not much amenities. Efficiency is key as their fuel prices & taxes have been much higher than ours for decades.
Not very much about taxes. Lower here then there. At least in germany. Most important are limitations in driving licenses. Without an extra permit, you are limited to 3,5 tons. That one then to be driven with a normal car driver licence. Also about dimensions in general. In spain with my 11 meter class a, i needed to develop a sixth sense. About streets not properly drivable. Especially in smaller villages. Or overland on local and regional streets. And yes, fuel is is much more expensive. Around 8 dollar per gallon these days. But to be kept in mind, the smaller ones up to 3,5 tons are around 25 mpg.

Sent from my BBB100-5 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 11-30-2022, 01:33 PM   #14

Unplanned tourist. I would suggest you look at some pictures of MH's that have been in a severe crash. Very crazy.
2009 Silverado Toad