Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #29

A secret I use on snap traps that makes them 99% effective is to use some peanut butter and then tie some mono filiment fishing line in a loop around the bait and thru the hole in the tongue of the trap. Pull the knot just tight enough to bury the top of the line in the peanut butter. When they bite at the bait, the line will get tugged by their teeth and waam! It will totally prevent them from taking the bait.

Learned that in the Phillipines where they have tons of rats. That place is one big garbage pile!

Another solution, get a rat terrior. Much better than a cat. They were bred to kill rats!

Phil Swanson
95 Baby Bird
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanso View Post
Another solution, get a rat terrier. Much better than a cat. They were bred to kill rats!
Phil Swanson
95 Baby Bird
Some people would rather have rats than a dog.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #31

A neighbor told me a trick to bait a snap trap.Put some glue on the trigger and sprinkle bird seed or unpopped popcorn.Bait lasts a long time .
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
The rat is dead.

Well, it really was a rat. We didn't know for sure until we found it dead outside, a few feet from our MH. It avoided the 2 snap traps we had for it. But, it had eaten some of the green poison. I guess it went outside looking for water. (not sure) My wife can sleep well now.

We bought a 48' long LED rope light from Walmart now, and we have it under the MH to keep something from sneaking around at night. Thanks to the forum members that offered this suggestion.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #33

rid of rat, get a cat, we have never had mice or rats in our rv. They will never go anywhere near where a cat is.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanso View Post
Another solution, get a rat terrior. Much better than a cat. They were bred to kill rats!

I don't know about 'rat terriers' but my Parson Russell terriers not only seem to have a heck of an instinct for killing rodents, but it seems the rodents have an equally deep seated instinct to avoid any area where the dogs have urinated.

In my case, the 'Mark 1 Jackson' earns his keep and then some. We live in horse country and he and the others are in great demand at horse farms, golf courses and of course all the airports I visit.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1443135042.689984.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  82.0 KB
Old 09-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #35

I like the one that give the rat the electric chair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #36

Why are you guys spending your money on traps and poisons that way too much time to work? Use the cheapest way possible.

Get a small pie tin. Then get the cheapest, fizziest pop (soda) that you can. (It's Faygo around here.)

Fill that pie tin with the pop (soda). Put it where you have seen evidence of them the most, and the next morning, put on gloves to dispose of that rodents' body.

Crazy? Am I daff? Naw. Rodents, just like cows, cannot 'burp.' Their stomach region will explode and they will die. You might even hear them squeal their last!

Read about this method some 40 years ago. And it 'Works!"
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
These have got to be the smartest animal in the wild. We spent a couple nights in a campground and were awakened to one on our roof trying to get in through the roof vent. I fell sorry for those campers whom he succeeded.

You might be better off with one of these traps. Almost any Tractor Supply, or other small hardware store will have them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	racoon.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	107980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Racoon trap.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	107981  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #38

The last thing you want to do is to poison or bust their stomach as they may make it inside to die and you will regret it. Use traps with peanut butter.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
The electronic traps are the only thing I use now. I have tried all the other types of traps with hit and miss results. The electronic trap always gets the rat and no mess.
The best one I have found so far is the Rat Zapper
This is the one I have too. Just have to make sure it stays dry. Its not water proof.
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
We are in southern middle Tennessee at a beautiful campground. But, about 5 days ago, we apparently found that we have a rat or something. The droppings are too big for a mouse. We put out 4 large sticky boards, (for rats), and twice it has got off of it inside our coach. We saw gray fur on it one time, and another time we saw a nice footprint. We put out 2 rat traps on top of the generator, because we saw droppings there. But, it didn't touch them. And, our mouse traps there were snapped, but empty.
We put poison pellets in the cup holder drawer, it ate some, and left some droppings. I ran the generator and the engine to see it it would go away, but it didn't.
We hear it above the ceiling sometimes. It comes down at night. We think it comes from under the dashboard area, but not sure.
Tonight, we plan to have the 2 rat snap traps in the area where we removed a drawer in the middle of the dash area, because it has been there. And, we were loaned a wire trap to catch it. I was very surprised that it got free of the Tom Cat sticky boards twice.
Any suggestions? I will keep you posted.
We kept finding large droppings on the patio and thought is was rats. Turned out is was FROGS!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote