Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #15

Once I clean the fridge and let it dry thoroughly, it doesn't matter if the door is closed or not. Never had a problem this way and my fridge doors are closed after cleaning and drying.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy27 View Post
Once I clean the fridge and let it dry thoroughly, it doesn't matter if the door is closed or not. Never had a problem this way and my fridge doors are closed after cleaning and drying.
Is the fridge shot off? How long have you been able to leave it closed up with out an odor forming? What do you clean with?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #17

I have to ask a dumb question.. Why do you need to prop the door open?, just leave it open. It would take an awful lot of park tilt to have the doors slam shut.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you just "leave it open" and someone happens to go into the RV for whatever.. they may close it, either by accident or by well meaning but mis-guided purpose.

A prop open system, Helps to insure this does NOT happen.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #19

Yeah, but...
My NORCOLD has built-in gappers on the latch and I can't tell you how many times someone -including me- has either tried to open or close it in this locked gap mode because it's so close to looki g closed anyway. One day it'll probably break. If stored level the door just sits there obviously open. Either way, once dry it's no longer a concern open or closed

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just pull out a shelf a little bit and it's done.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #21

My fridge will sit idle for 4 or 5 months, off and doors closed. Never had an odor or mold growth yet. The key is that it is dry when you close it. When you go to buy a new fridge for the house, are those doors open or closed? All of them have been run before shipping to test their functioning and they don;t have any odors in them.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
My fridge will sit idle for 4 or 5 months, off and doors closed. Never had an odor or mold growth yet. The key is that it is dry when you close it. When you go to buy a new fridge for the house, are those doors open or closed? All of them have been run before shipping to test their functioning and they don;t have any odors in them.
Good point. I am going to try your method if I winterize this year.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
The key is that it is dry when you close it.
Give that man the prize! If the inside is totally dry, there won't be any odors even after being shut for extended periods. Once, I did wad up newspapers inside to help absorb any moisture I thought might be in there. The next year I forgot & come spring, I didn't notice any difference between having the newspapers & not having them. Haven't had a problem in over 10 years, so long as I make sure the compartments are completely dry before the doors go shut for the winter.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We never shut ours off unless it's going to the dealer and I haven't done that since 2005.
Ours does have latches that can either hold the doors closed when traveling or open for storage. Never use them except to lock the doors closed when traveling though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #25

Nor'easters Club
I took a couple plastic clamp style hangers, applied some heat and bent it as shown. I used a heat gun, a hair dryer might work too. When used in the refrig it clamps between the wire shelf and the door bin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	15851   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	15852  

Old 11-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dish towel works for us.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I just don't close the doors all the way. I have a Dometic side-by-side in my coach. It has little thumb latches you have to press to open the doors. They close with a *CLICK* as the latches engage. I just don't click 'em shut. The latches hold the doors open about 1/4" or so, which seems to be plenty.

Unless I wanted to drive the coach without having to close the doors, no way would I pay for a gadget to hold them open. And even then, I'd likely make some magical bungee cord powered device.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Good Morning All,

I am looking for suggestions on how to prop open the fridge doors for the winter. I have a Fleetwood Revolution with a four door fridge/freezer and would like to hear your suggestions and ideas as to how to keep the fridge doors open a bit to allow for air circulation while it is sitting in winter storage. I would like to avoid that horrible musty smell when I open it back up for use. (We are planning a month long trip down South in January but it will be unplugged from now until then and then from February untill the flowers start blooming again up here in the frigid North.)

Thanks for your ideas.

Faith
I use this, www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/no-mold-refrigerator-door-holder/28735

Tags
fridge