Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How to keep fridge open for winter???

Good Morning All,

I am looking for suggestions on how to prop open the fridge doors for the winter. I have a Fleetwood Revolution with a four door fridge/freezer and would like to hear your suggestions and ideas as to how to keep the fridge doors open a bit to allow for air circulation while it is sitting in winter storage. I would like to avoid that horrible musty smell when I open it back up for use. (We are planning a month long trip down South in January but it will be unplugged from now until then and then from February untill the flowers start blooming again up here in the frigid North.)

Thanks for your ideas.

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would just get some pieces of wood just long enough soothe doors couldn't close. Measure what you need, and get some scraps from home depot
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
Community Administrator

We put dish towels over the top of the doors to prevent them from closing.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #4

You can borrow a couple of my kids for the winter, they never shut the fridge door or turn off lights either.
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #5

I use a piece of wood and a soft ended bunge cord.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use short lengths of a foam swimming noodle slit lengthwise placed on the corners of the slide outs to keep people from banging their head when we are camped. When the coach is put away we use one of those pieces to hold the fridge doors ajar. A short bungee through the handles keeps the doors from swinging if we reposition the coach.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
no handles, what about this new item ?

How I wish our ref had handles for bungee cords.

We're only in the coach about 40 days a year - the rest of the time the ref doors are propped open.

This year, it seemed we drove to the repair shop after most outings - which meant that the ref doors were open when we parked it there. Always leave a note on the drivers seat for the tech to close the doors before moving the coach. Two of the wood paneled doors hit the wood trim on the slide if they are not secured while in motion. Would like a better solution.

Tried the only product I could find on the market Adjust-a-brush - No Mold Refrigerator Door Holder - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World Not only was I stumped about keeping them in place, they didn't keep the doors from swinging open when the coach moves.

I see there is another product now - Camco Mfg Inc - Fridge Door Stay - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World. Has anyone tried that one ?
KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fridge door hold open latch

My Norcold has a latch to hold the door open. I was not told of this latch when I bought the RV. I did a very unusual thing shortly after getting it home. I read the manuals in the GIANT folder. I learned many things and I also found out about these latched. These latches will not hold the doors in place while moving but once parked these latches work great.
Attached Images

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch View Post
My Norcold has a latch to hold the door open. I was not told of this latch when I bought the RV. I did a very unusual thing shortly after getting it home. I read the manuals in the GIANT folder. I learned many things and I also found out about these latched. These latches will not hold the doors in place while moving but once parked these latches work great.

I was going to say same thing
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the dish towel method. But since I have a Norcold, I will have to look for the latch!
BransGram08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on your latch system. Camping World sells some plastic things designed for the job but frankly I don't think much of them.

You can get a set of spring loaded clamps at any hardware store They can be clamped either on the door or on the "Body" of the fridge.. they will keep the door from closing,

Then you can use a bunjee to hold it from flapping around if you move.

One such clamp is shown below.. I like this all plastic (Save for the spring and pin) design but some of them can require a very strong hand to open the clamp.

Vise Grip (VGP58100) 1 in. Spring Clamp
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #12

Buy some foam pipe insulation and cut two pieces about a foot long and just wedge them between door and jamb. Works great and is cheap. Have been doing it for years. Lowes or Home Depot for a couple of dollars or less.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have a norcold too, with only one of the two latches. it barely holds the door open. since i park the rv on a slope, when i open the doors they stay wide open. perfect for storage.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My class C has a Norcold with the hold open latches, my class A has Dometic without the hold open latches. I tie the door open with a small piece of string. The string allows me to move the MH with out the doors moving. Sometimes I just like to move it to work on it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge