Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #1

How warm are you?

Here is a question for you, how well insulated is your coach, and at what outdoor temperature do you normally need to run your heat when dry camping?

I ask this as I am laying here in bed in my 2002 Safari Trek, I am dry camping tonight, it is 68 degrees inside my coach and it is 49 degrees outside at just before midnight, the outdoor temperature here has been very steady this evening, fluctuating between 48-49 degrees since about 7 pm. The furnace has not came on once since I had the generator running to cook some dinner in the convection oven and air fryer at about 8 pm (15 minute cook time with both running at the same time). (interior reached a high of 71 degrees when I finished cooking, though it started out much cooler as the door had been open) I have been parked with the engine off since about 7pm. Sure there was probably some residual heat from the oven, the engine and the generator entering the coach the last few hours, but still after three and a half hours one would have think that would be a minor factor.

Ike

p.s. there goes I just heard the thermostat click the furnace should be lighting momentarily 8:18pm -11:51 pm with no additional heat in the coach.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 06:25 AM   #2
Commercial Member

i have been out in minus 20 degree weather in wyoming. there is no way to keep warm like you are in a stick built home. planning before you go is the key.
what you can do first, is find a good park with 50 amp service or run your generator and add some electric heaters.

i have small 350 watt heaters in all my basement compartments that have plumbing thru them, i do put as protective screen around them and fasten them down so they dont fall over.
ive been doing this for 15 years without incident. common sense goes a long way. (dont mention not camping im freezing weather as a lack of common sense)
we have an electric blanket, and dress warmly.

most rvs are not designed for cold weather. so you have to do some independent thinking to survive.
i will add, if i didnt have to do this for my job, i would be safely home in arizona.
azpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #3

My Roadtrek and Sunstar were both better designs overall for dry camping. Both had basement or inside storage and tank locations to better protect them all from extreme cold/freezing. The Navion's water and holding tanks are exposed to the elements, but they have tank heaters which may help, but only when we're plugged in or able to run the generator. They're 12VDC vampires.
As for inside the coaches, we usually set the furnace thermostat to 50F before bedding down, and add blankets and extra clothing, as necessary. Usually works out OK, with the furnace running when it hits that number.
Try to avoid dry camping in the cold whenever possible. Sorry, but it's the best answer if you're not set up for it.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:21 AM   #4

At 50f outside my coach will stay at 65-70f if the door is not opened with no heat.

During the day all bets are off as the door is constantly in use.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #5

Last January, DH was using our camper (Four Winds C24) for a hunt shack, boondocking on a friend's farm. Temps got down to 6F at night IIRC and stayed below freezing during the day. He and his brother kept the camper at 70 inside with the furnace kicking on about every 15 minutes. They used surprisingly little propane. The guys had so much fun (!) they are planning on doing this again this winter.
lfcjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #6

just got back from a week long hunting trip. the coldest night was 20 degrees, mid 40's during the day, thermostat set at 68 kept it pretty warm, heater would kick on about every 20-30 minutes at night. first time boondocking long period of time with this MH. was better on propane than I would of thought too.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:33 AM   #7

One nice thing about a Class B is the smaller air space to heat. When I dry camp below 20 degrees, I can stay nice and warm with a small portable propane heater. (Just need to keep an opening to the outside for condensation and fresh air!)
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #8

If you seem to be loosing the heat battle, and that can happen if it is windy, you could close one or more slides. That would reduce the heated space as well as most slides are not well insulated. Usually colder at night, so slides could be extended during the day, especially if the sun is out.
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #9

I used to have a 2004 30 ft Terry Quantum with a 16 ft slide that was hard to keep warm. Bought a 1995 Beaver Marquis with 50,000 on it and no slides and it is much better. Right now it is 18 degrees outside with 10 mph wind and the coach is 63 degrees inside with just a 1200 watt electric heater in it. If I turn on the Aquahot it will cook you out. I think the Beaver stays warmer because it has better insulation and dbl pane windows and no slides. This is my first class A and when I bought it I was a little concerned about the aquahot and thought I'd be better with a propane furnace but after using the aquahot and understanding how it works, I am really glad to have it.
Dbl-l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Here is a question for you, how well insulated is your coach, and at what outdoor temperature do you normally need to run your heat when dry camping?

I ask this as I am laying here in bed in my 2002 Safari Trek, I am dry camping tonight, it is 68 degrees inside my coach and it is 49 degrees outside at just before midnight, the outdoor temperature here has been very steady this evening, fluctuating between 48-49 degrees since about 7 pm. The furnace has not came on once since I had the generator running to cook some dinner in the convection oven and air fryer at about 8 pm (15 minute cook time with both running at the same time). (interior reached a high of 71 degrees when I finished cooking, though it started out much cooler as the door had been open) I have been parked with the engine off since about 7pm. Sure there was probably some residual heat from the oven, the engine and the generator entering the coach the last few hours, but still after three and a half hours one would have think that would be a minor factor.
Ike
p.s. there goes I just heard the thermostat click the furnace should be lighting momentarily 8:18pm -11:51 pm with no additional heat in the coach.
Total insulation is one factor of your scenario, actual size is the other major factor. I can close my bedroom door and sleep comfortably in 35° weather, under my comforter. It I do begin to be uncomfortable a simple click of the switch controlling my 12V mattress pad corrects the situation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote