Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HWH front jacks slam down on retract

Hi all. Working on first MH purchase. 98 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35 ft, 5.9, 6spd, one slide, 50k mi, Silver Anniversary. Well maintained. Runs excellent.
Bought from widow and unit not driven for 1.5 yrs. She did not know how to operate leveling jacks nor did I until after purchase.

The problem: front jacks let coach slam to ground upon selecting auto retract or manually. Rear jacks retract in a controlled manner. All jacks extend and level coach without issue. No sticking etc.

I understand front jacks retract at a little faster rate, supposedly, than the rears from what I've been told. Stuarts did not give plausible answer when contacted by email.

HWH 610 Series. Seems the fronts should retract under a more controlled rate. Visited neighbor who has 2000 HR with the HWH system and the fronts retract as they should and not letting coach drop immediately.

HWH is still six weeks out for return call from their Tech Dept.

Anyone else have this issue? Not sure where to start. Solenoid? Pressure switch? Oil level is good etc.

Any help appreciated or link to forum discussion would be great. Thank you in advance for your time!

Keith in NE Ohio

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 08:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like normal operation to me. Mine operates in a similar manner. When you select store or a down arrow, solenoids open and the weight of the coach drops. It is not metered for a soft movement. It just drops. Once the coach is back down the springs pull the jack rams back up (hopefully).
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Both of our DPs are/were the same. If the front is lifted high there is a pretty sudden drop when the jacks are released.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #4

two things spring to mind...no pun intended.

- are the front jack springs intact, missing, worn?
- check hydraulic fluid level when jacks are down and room is out.

and front hacks retracting faster than rears is something i've never heard of.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:52 PM   #5

If you have questions this HWH service center may have a quicker response time:

HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oil levels are good with everything extended. Springs are intact and good shape. Coach has never seen road salt and alas, no resulting corrosion. Read where some models of HWH had some kind of extra valve for the jacks. Sure seems something is amiss here. Need to keep researching. Thx
Old 09-10-2020, 01:57 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
ChopRod, reach out to AZPETE on here. He worked for HWH and has a wealth of knowledge and will help you out.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:25 AM   #9

I think both react similarly in that how much extension and MH weight is being supported will affect the initial drop once solenoids open. When seated up front you will notice it more than rear. Mine have always had an initial sudden drop when retracting and how much is dependant on how much the MH has been lifted to level.
The rears have more tubing distance and likely more resistance to flow some some damping action but I don't think its increased intentionally via orifices, etc.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:39 AM   #10

You could always put an in-line flow restriction on those two cylinders. There are different types, from a simple fitting with a small hole to choke down the flow, to a variable flow control with bypass check to allow no restriction while extending, but adjustable restriction while retracting.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...t%3EHydraulics

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/in-line-...series/9f400ss

Just a couple of random links for illustration purposes. I have no idea what size and type the connections are, though I'm sure they're pretty small.

Personally, I'd go with a cheap, fixed orifice inline fitting. Since the flow resistance varies roughly as the square of the fluid speed, if you use the right size, you'll soften the coach drop a bit without unduly restricting the normally slower flow from spring force alone, which will be much slower anyway. If it's too slow, it can be drilled out a little. And a little larger can make a big difference, so you have to sneak up on it.

Or just leave it alone, if it's normal. A quick perusal of some of HWH's schematics show no restriction of any kind in the cylinder circuits. So I guess it's normal.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:58 AM   #11

Interesting--lets see what AZPete says...funny that only one of the two front jacks seems to be doing this rapid store....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #12

The way your coach is acting is normal. I asked Azpete about it when he helped me with my system and he said you can either get used to it or you can install Velocity valves on each line back to the reservoir.
One source of the valves is HWH but you're experiencing the delays or you can call Chuck at Stuarts services HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services. Chuck is very knowledgeable and can help you with all HWH questions and parts. I didn't install velocity valves. I bought everything I needed from him. Great guy.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #13

Mine drops right smartly but there's no slamming, no bounce on the springs etc.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #14

...so the more you extend your jacks to "level" your rig, the more they will drop/slam the rig when you store them …..best reason I have heard yet to seek level sites or block your tires, rather than raise the tires off ground...sorry, couldn't resist....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks