Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #1

I have a 2002 Atwood hot water heater (HWH) in my Bounder that quit working (G6A-8E Electronic Start) and after searching/reading here on iRV2 I came up with a plan of troubleshooting....the first thing was to remove the thermal fuse link and reinstall the connection directly to the thermostat....and that fixed it!!....it started working....I restarted the HWH several times to be sure it wasn't a fluke, then reinstalled the fuse link and it quit working....so now my question is this: Was my thermostat defective and is that why the fuse link blew?

While I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it last night, should I start the HWH and then watch it closely to insure that it shuts off at some point (I presume that is what the thermostat does) and when it does, what should the water temp be at the faucets?...or a better question might be, what is the maximum SAFE temperature that a water heater should go to insure that the water heater doesn't blow up!?!?!....I know what a maximum safe temp is to insure that you're not scolded at the faucet (120ยบ, right?), but since there are no small children using this MH, then I am sure my wife and I can take care of ourselves when it comes to adjusting the water temp.....I am more concerned with the maximum safe temp of the water heater itself....Thanks in advance for any and all response!!

Kelly
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #2

I have a 2002 Atwood hot water heater (HWH) in my Bounder that quit working (G6A-8E Electronic Start) and after searching/reading here on iRV2 I came up with a plan of troubleshooting....the first thing was to remove the thermal fuse link and reinstall the connection directly to the thermostat....and that fixed it!!....it started working....I restarted the HWH several times to be sure it wasn't a fluke, then reinstalled the fuse link and it quit working....so now my question is this: Was my thermostat defective and is that why the fuse link blew?

While I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it last night, should I start the HWH and then watch it closely to insure that it shuts off at some point (I presume that is what the thermostat does) and when it does, what should the water temp be at the faucets?...or a better question might be, what is the maximum SAFE temperature that a water heater should go to insure that the water heater doesn't blow up!?!?!....I know what a maximum safe temp is to insure that you're not scolded at the faucet (120ยบ, right?), but since there are no small children using this MH, then I am sure my wife and I can take care of ourselves when it comes to adjusting the water temp.....I am more concerned with the maximum safe temp of the water heater itself....Thanks in advance for any and all response!!

Kelly
Old 04-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
The thermal fuses I replace after a time, from all the movement they will be damaged over time, and it is a simple fix. I would doubt your thermostat had anything to do with the fuse to blow.

As far as temp goes on yor HWH, the Attwoods and Surburbans have a high level thermostat which will turn off the W/H if it starts to exceed the set temp. It also has the water heater releive valve. Attwood does offer an adjustable thermostat.

Oh by the way, welcome to IRV2!

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 AM   #4

Hey, thanks Lenny...so if vibration can be a possible cause, then that may explain it....first the unit is 6 years old AND last weekend I used the RV on a turkey hunting trip and traveled down 4 miles of somewhat rough gravel roads...it worked before I left, then when we got there it didn't work...luckily it was just an overnight trip so when I got home that is when I started fiddling with it....and after doing a search on here and coming up with the "check the thermal fuse link" idea, I simply unplugged it and the water heater worked just fine...so maybe and hopefully it was the vibration of the rough road that did it....I think that is an item I will need to have several of, just in case it happens while on the road...

And so I take it that you don't know the actual maximum temperatures of the HWH, but rely on the thermostat to shut the unit down, right?....tonight I will go home and light the HWH and monitor it until it shut off, then take a reading of the water temps out of the faucet and get back with you all with the results...I was thinking anything UNDER boiling temp would be OK....and if it gets hotter than that without shutting off, THAT would be considered a PROBLEM, eh?!?!....LOL

Thanks for the quick response Lenny and if anyone else has something to add, PLEASE DO!!!

Kelly
Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bounder94:
....the first thing was to remove the thermal fuse link and reinstall the connection directly to the thermostat.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Kelly,
My question is...... Have you replaced the fusible link? That is a safety device to open the ignition circuit should the burner flame be outside the burner tube.

I'll leave it to you to imagine what might happen next.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I believe the Atwood water heater thermostat is preset for 140 degrees.

John
Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 AM   #7

Frank,
Yes, I WILL NOT run the HWH without a properly working fuse link...I am picking a couple up on the way home this afternoon...I totally understand why it is there and it'll be there while I am using the HWH under normal conditions

and

John,
Thank you for the information....that is exactly what I needed to know.....so that too will be tested out this afternoon....

Thanks all of you for your rapid responses, you (the members and this website) are a great resource and help to fellow RV'ers

Kelly
Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bounder94:
Frank,
Yes, I WILL NOT run the HWH without a properly working fuse link...I am picking a couple up on the way home this afternoon...I totally understand why it is there and it'll be there while I am using the HWH under normal conditions

and

John,
Thank you for the information....that is exactly what I needed to know.....so that too will be tested out this afternoon....

Thanks all of you for your rapid responses, you (the members and this website) are a great resource and help to fellow RV'ers

Kelly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kelly,

The two limit switches are surface mounted to the tanks and are held in place by a sheet metal bayonet mount that can loosen and prevent the stats from seating properly. They can be loosened by the simple act of replacing the link. Verify after you install the new link that the stats are not loose and bend down the tabs to tighten them up. Watch out that you don't get fooled by the adhesive insulated cover that may make it appear that the stats are tightly in place. The two way tape that holds this down is not sufficient to hold them tightly for a long time. Even if you don't have a fire the steam that escapes the blowout can do great damage to your sidewalls and someone can get a bad scalding if they are nearby or using water in the coach.

I had a new water heater installed in my previous coach and they did not verify the stats which were loose. I was washing down the shower surround when they acted up and the water was so hot and the blast of steam so sudden and intense that it caused the surround to detach from the wall.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #9

Bounder 94 . . .my Bounder 95 had some t-stat issues, but the nice folks at Atwood sold me new t-stats and I carefully re-mounted them and zip!!everything worked! The fusible link can crap out from a number of reasons, including vibration. It may also have jiggled itself too close to the tank or burner, and it gave up its life to protect you. How noble!!
Joe
joe-coachfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Kelly, the fuse link, as Frank F. has stated, is to open the circuit in the event of a fire rolling out backwards of the burner box. If your thermal fuse goes bad, I would recommend you thoroughly clean the burner ventuiri, box and venting to remove any obstacles before replacing the fuse.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:03 AM   #11

Joe, it was noble!!...and I hope it continues to be so noble....I would rather it go out and change out a fuse link than to burn up the motorhome...life's little inconviences are nice...hopefully the T-stats are fine, as the unit worked fine when I by-passed the fuse link while troubleshooting....and troubleshooting ONLY....LOL

Mike, I will thoroughly inspect and clean the unit, just to be sure, thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks again for everyones input, this place is soooo cooool.....safe travels for all !!!!!!

Kelly
Old 04-10-2008, 04:15 AM   #12

PS...I see I acquired/earned a little "campfire" below my name!!...Ten post and BAM.....FIRE!...how long before the next one lights??.....

Kelly
Old 04-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
75 for the next one, then 250, then 500, and I beleive the next is 1000!

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #14

Ok...here is the update....new fuse link installed, new 2-prong starter probe installed...the water heater STILL not working properly.

It will start the first time tried, the burner will burn for approximately 2-3 minutes, then the solenoid clicks the gas off....the automatic lighter tries to start the water heater again and it will not light...it will cycle thru the three attempts, then it's done until I switch the water heater switch off and wait a while....then it will again start on the first try, run a few minutes than the solenoid clicks the gas off again...

What controls the solenoid?...it has a wire coming from the ECO....but the ECO's other wire goes to the control box...

What would you all suggest as my next item to replace...here shortly I will have everything replaced..LOLOL....if that is what it takes, I'll do it....I WANT HOT WATER!!!...

So, should I replace the ECO/T-stat next, or maybe the gas solenoid?...or control board?...which one first, next, last...or do everything BUT the control board....(you know, save the BIG $$ item for last)....

I have removed/replace/cleaned all the connections on the hot water heater itself, so I feel the connections are not to blame...

HELP.....HELP....HELP.....

Thanks guys/gals....for any suggestions