Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2020, 03:04 AM   #1

HWH leveling jack only retracts after 24 hours

Hello all,

I have a problem that strikes me as a bit odd. One of my front jacks has problems retracting if it's been extended for 2 hours or less.

If the jack has been extended for 24 hours it retracts just fine at a normal speed (less than a minute or two...just as fast as all the others). However, if it's been extended for 2 hours or less it doesn't retract more than a few inches above the ground before it completely stops, necessitating me pushing it all the way back in with a board. (I haven't tested it for extension times more than 2 hours and less than 24 hours, so I don't know exactly how long it has to be extended for it to work normally.)

Opening the valve manually doesn't make a difference, it behaves exactly the same way.

The model of the jack is HWH AP45657.

Any ideas what might be wrong and/or how to fix it?

Thanks!
GrRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2020, 05:58 AM   #2

HWH has a pretty good troubleshooting guide online... I'd look it up and go through the steps.
I forget the exact combinations but when I had a retract issue one of their techs walked me through some steps and concluded the shuttle valve was bad.
Ordered & replaced the valve and all was well. It's an EZ replacement if thats what the problem is.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I had a similar issue with mine, but mine was temperature related . I replaced the springs and for years now no issues retracting.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #4

Here's what I see as a clue. The jack can be raised, with a board, and opening the manual valve makes no difference in self-retraction. That leads me to believe the issue is with the springs/ram rather than the hydraulic lines or valves. If there was a failure in the hydraulic lines to open, you wouldn't be able to raise the jack with a board.

Have you tried the HWH recommended service of the jack rams? Spray the shafts, especially around the seal, with WD-40. Wipe clean with a rag, do not leave residue. The purpose is to clean the shaft and help the seal become more pliable. A further service might be to replace the springs if the cleaning does not improve things.

One other test, though this is theoretical. If you crack open the line to the jack, either at the jack itself or at the solenoid, fluid should be able to escape and the jack should retract. There will be a slight mess of fluid, but if the jack retracts, then you will know the ram and springs are good and you do have an issue with the valves or solenoid. I've never done this, but I have read threads where others have, in order to raise a stubborn jack.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #5

Thank you all for the tips. I forgot to mention that I replaced the springs within the last year, before this problem showed up.

I like the idea of opening the line near the jack to see if there's a problem with the jack or somewhere else. Thanks! I might also contact HWH.

I'll report back if/when I find something.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
Commercial Member

the seal inside the cylinder is failing. its a flat seal, and the edges are hanging on the dry cylinder rod. i would use trans fluid to clean the rod, and see if that doesnt soften the seal. maybe recondition it. if not, get it rebuilt or replaced.
send me the AP model number off the cylinder, and i can provide a replacement number.
if you have time, get it rebuilt.
send an email to service@hwh.com
include name, address, phone, year, brand, and model of your coach. also the chassis vin number. this for the warranty on the repaired part.
the only price hwh will quote for the repair is for a reman cylinder, since they dont know whats wrong with yours.. it takes around three or four weeks to get it back.
they will contact you with a RGA number, which is for tracking. send it in with that number, not before.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #8

Thank you azpete! I will use trans fluid and if that doesn't work, I'll contact HWH as you describe.

The number of the jack is HWH AP45657.

It'll be a week or two until I can get it out of storage to try the fluid. I'll post back to the forum so folks know how it goes.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #9

I used transmission fluid on the shaft, as well as clean the bottom of the seal with q-tips dipped in transmission fluid (something I saw in another thread...a lot of gunk came off!) and so far it seems to be working great.

I have a trip next week, so we'll see how it does for a longer period of time.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #10

Well, the jack still has the same problem. So, I've sent an email to HWH to see if I can order a replacement. (I've called them a few times, but their technician hasn't called me back yet.)

I posted the wrong model # earlier, the actual number off the side of the jack is AP44445.

azpete, is this jack replacement something I can just order from somewhere or do I need to wait for HWH to get back to me?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:17 PM   #11
Commercial Member

try stuarts in elkhart in
1 800 862 6267
they may have it, or can get it.
this virus has everyone behind.
let me know what happens.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, leveling