Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an occassional problem with my right rear jack extending, on it's own, driving down the road. Is there an adjustment on the jack to move the contact point slightly to avoid it triggering an alarm in the rig? It usually happens when your real busy and it gets our attention quickly-- I must say I'm getting use to it, but it needs fixin'.

Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an occassional problem with my right rear jack extending, on it's own, driving down the road. Is there an adjustment on the jack to move the contact point slightly to avoid it triggering an alarm in the rig? It usually happens when your real busy and it gets our attention quickly-- I must say I'm getting use to it, but it needs fixin'.

Any ideas?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #3

It's possible that your spring that pull the ram up is getting weak. You may need to replace them. The only other thing that I can think of that would allow you ram to go down would be if it being powered down and your system would have to be on for that to happen. Good luck with it.

Glen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #4

Do you drive with your jacks in the Store position? If not you should.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
paz

Warm weather especially can expand the hydraulic fluid and cause the jacks to move. I think the switch that triggers the alarm is internal to the jack and can't be adjusted.

It might help if, after you store the jacks, you allow the controller to time out and shut itself off rather than shutting it off yourself manually.

Our alarm went off once when we were on the road and all I did was press the store button. In about 5 seconds, the alarm went off and all was well. Never happened again.

If you're having the problem on an ongoing basis, I would give HWH a call. Their tech support is very helpful. There may be a check valve leaking somewhere or they may suggest replacing your return springs with stronger ones.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:01 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replys.

Paz- "Our alarm went off once when we were on the road and all I did was press the store button. In about 5 seconds, the alarm went off and all was well. Never happened again."

That is exactly what happens to my system. When I retract the jacks I don't touch anything , then I shut the ignition switch off and do other chores in prepration for departure. When the last "extension light" (always the right rear) goes off and the system shuts down, I then shut the key off.

When this problem happens, I have to look down, turn the system on, and then hit the stow button-- then all is well in a few seconds. It's just annoying because the alarm is so loud.

Thanks,
Old 04-11-2008, 04:21 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max, in the instructions for my jacks, it states to keep the store button on while traveling. Little red light stays on all the time. Every time you shut off the ignition for any reason, you have to push the store button again. I am always forget to do this after stopping for fuel, rest areas etc. It will get your attention when the alarm goes off, but according to HWH is nothing to worry about.

Dieselclacker
Old 04-11-2008, 04:30 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Max;

My jacks do the same thing. It is usually a result of rough road or bad RR crossings. I just hit the on button and then the store button. Every thing OK then.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:07 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine use to do the same thing on RR, had the springs replaced by the upgraded kit from HWH and also a new solenoid and it hasn't happened again. I have never heard of having to travel down the road with your "store" button on. I don't think that is possible anyway because you have to have the park brake set to engage the HWH system on mine.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know I can hit the "on", and then the "retract" button while traveling down the road because that is how I get the alarm to stop.

I just crawled under the coach, for a different reason- installing a 2000 watt inverter, and I noticed that my springs for the right rear jack are rusted. It is in very close proximity to the chassis battery case. My springs might be weaker on the right rear due to corrosion from the batteries. The other three sets of springs have no rust on them. I think I will order new springs and try that.

I think I have the battery corrision problem solved. I put in two new batteries and I added about 1-2 ounces of mineral oil to each cell. I did this about last June and I'm looking good now.

Thanks to all for your inputs,
Old 04-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update--

I got the new updated springs and put them on today. Not an easy job. Once I got enough pieces of 2X4's, and using an old drum brake spring pliers, and a neighbors boy, we got the job done. The tech at HWH said pull like h--- on the springs with gloves on, and you can do it-- Ha! I had to use a piece of pipe on the spring pliers for leverage.

I extended the jacks and then retracted them-- for the first time the right rear came all the way up before the left rear !!

I guess we'll see in a few weeks as we travel to Maine. Now I wish I had gotten new springs for all 4 jacks.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Too late to help but to replace HWH jack springs bend the new spring and place spacers between the coils until the spring is long enough to slip over both spring hooks. Then extend the jack and the spacer will fall out. You won't even break a sweat and it'll take less than an hour for all jacks.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #13

Hi Max,

Glad you solved the problem. Would you mind telling me what a pair of those springs cost? My two rear jacks are slooooooow to retract when the temperature dips below 40 degrees.

Thanks,
Sparetire
sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Tom-- I'll remember that

Cost was $21.95 + shipping. Tel# HWH 800-321-3494