Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #1

HWH Slides Not Working

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum and have owned my 2008 Coach House 272 for 6 days. The 2 slides worked fine until today and now when I activate the switch on either slide I hear a buzzing noise, but neither one extends. I'm suspicious of the house bank of 3 batteries since their "resting voltage" this morning was only 12.0V. I plugged the RV into shore power for several hours and got voltage up to 14.0 V. Other DC equipment seemed to operate just fine, but "the boss" noted that a DC vent fan slowed down. I crawled under the coach when boss activated slide switch and found what looked like a control panel. The led lights in the control panel flashed on and off in addition to the buzzing noise.

I would appreciate a trouble shooting sequence of things to check to solve problem. I also have 4 hydraulic leveling jacks and I'm wondering whether or not to try them since they might use same motor and hydraulic system? I haven't located the electric motor or hydraulic reservoir, but I hope to find that tomorrow.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Greg
svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #2

Most slides are run off the starter/chassis battery. ..try extending with the engine running
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It is possible that your shore power only charges the house batteries. If that is the case your starter battery can still be depleted. If your slides run off the chassis battery then you need to start the engine to get voltage up. Jacks could be the same set up too.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

First follow the suggestion to start the engine and see if the slides work. My owners manual says to operate the slides with the engine running. Not all do but it is worth a try.

If the slides operate with the engine running then you can be pretty certain that low voltage is the cause of the previous non-operation.

The potential problem of operating the slide on low voltage is that the hydraulic pump motor will draw too much current and blow the fuse on the motor wiring.

If you still have problems, go to the HWH website and search for trouble shooting manuals. You will need to know which system you have but they also have a page with info on recognizing your system.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
It is possible that your shore power only charges the house batteries. If that is the case your starter battery can still be depleted. If your slides run off the chassis battery then you need to start the engine to get voltage up. Jacks could be the same set up too.
Thanks I'll try with engine running and check chassis battery before start up. I did run engine today and battery cranked the starter OK.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #6

What does your OWNERS MANUAL say? Thats the ONLY place where you can be sure to get the right answer.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I hope u have a multimeter to check battery voltages, can also determine what batteries are charging on shore power and by engine alternator. Look at a battery state of charge chart, your 12 volt reading is only 25% charged, not enough to run the slides. You may want to charge up the batteries with a charger to 100% before proceeding. Be sure to check water levels if wet cell batteries, remember distilled water only, also check date codes, old batteries maybe? Good luck
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:28 AM   #8

Search for Paul Maddox on the site. His username I've Az Pete. He works for HWH and is a wealth of information. His phone number is in many of the posts and if you text him, he will get back to you.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Go on the HWH website and download the trouble shooting guide for your system. You will need to know the specific model HWH system installed on your MH.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like your slides ooerate from the house battery bank. And the house batteries are very low on charge. Then when activating the large current draw of slide operation the battery voltage sags even further down.

12.0 vdc is minimum charge. 14.0 is charging voltage. To get a true idea of batter SoC need to check the batteries with out load and at rest (not charging) for several minutes.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag73e View Post
I hope u have a multimeter to check battery voltages, can also determine what batteries are charging on shore power and by engine alternator. Look at a battery state of charge chart, your 12 volt reading is only 25% charged, not enough to run the slides. You may want to charge up the batteries with a charger to 100% before proceeding. Be sure to check water levels if wet cell batteries, remember distilled water only, also check date codes, old batteries maybe? Good luck
Thanks for all the great inputs. I checked resting voltage on chassis battery (12.4) and house bank after good charge yesterday (12.6). I hooked up ammeter to house bank and had the boss activate extend switch. Ammeter showed significant current flow and low and behold the slide extended! So house bank definitely powers the slides and full charge seems to make a big difference. I'm not sure the situation is really solved, but at least I know the hydraulics are working. I'm going to clean up all the connections on house bank and wiring to the hydraulic motor. First I need some ramps to give me some working room under the coach so I made some ramps out of 2X12s (a great idea from another thread on this forum). Appreciate all the help... this seems to be a great resource for good ideas!!
Old 06-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #12

HWH Slides Intermittent Function

This is a progress report on my HWH slides. It is one of my least favorite situations since it is an intermittent condition where sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I'm hoping that if I describe the symptoms someone may have solved a similar issue.

The last test I did on the slides 2 days ago they worked fine, but I still cleaned all the battery connections and slides still worked fine. Yesterday, I tried the slides again and neither one worked after multiple tests (fully charged house bank & plugged into shore power). I traced the path of heavy + cables from batteries to the hydraulic pump solenoid. I removed all the connections, cleaned them and put them back together to no avail. When the boss pressed the extend button, I put my hand on the hydraulic pump solenoid and felt it vibrate and made a buzzing sound. I ran the engine also and slides still didn't work.

Later, after dark, I turned on the coach lights and activated the extend switch... the solenoid buzzed, the lights went really dim, and slides didn't work (batteries fully charged on shore power showing 13.0 V in float mode). When the lights dimmed significantly I assumed the system was drawing lots of current, but motor wasn't running. Just for the heck of it I disconnected shore power and tried slides again and both worked!! I tried each slide 3 times and both just worked just fine. I assumed this might be related to shore power so I plugged the shore power back in and voltage went up to 14.0 since charge cycle started in the bulk phase. The slides still worked and seemed a little faster with increased voltage to the hydraulic motor. When slides activated there was very little dimming of cabin lights. I cycled each slide 4 times and they both worked perfectly with no hesitation.

I have the HWH repair manual and have studied the wiring diagram and the hydraulic diagram, but don't see anything that helps me figure this out. When the slides are working they seem to work smoothly without hesitation, so I think the hydraulic side is probably OK. Any ideas an what's going on with the electric side?? solenoid ? electric motor dead spot ? Thanks for any ideas you can provide. Greg
Old 06-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #13
Commercial Member

since the hwh slides worked when the batteries were being charged. this isnt a problem with the slides. intermittent electrical problems are always either bad connections or bad batteries. hwh control boxes dont have intermittent issues. either it works or it doesnt. there have been instances of loose connectors in the box with a broken solder joint, but that again, is a bad connection. very rare.

its a 12 volt supply issue. if you have cleaned all the connections, disconnect the batteries and hook up a battery charger. maybe the house charger isnt sufficient to do a good job, or the batteries havent been charged up fully. most batteries need 24 hours to accept a full charge. note, this isnt a scientific procedure, just my observation. do a load test with the batteries being fully charged.

you may find the batteries need to be replaced.
please feel free to contact me at 1-602-549-3638. if i dont answer, leave me a message. i dont call back to hangups. too many solicitors.
i will return your call.
paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
since the hwh slides worked when the batteries were being charged. this isnt a problem with the slides. intermittent electrical problems are always either bad connections or bad batteries. hwh control boxes dont have intermittent issues. either it works or it doesnt. there have been instances of loose connectors in the box with a broken solder joint, but that again, is a bad connection. very rare.

its a 12 volt supply issue. if you have cleaned all the connections, disconnect the batteries and hook up a battery charger. maybe the house charger isnt sufficient to do a good job, or the batteries havent been charged up fully. most batteries need 24 hours to accept a full charge. note, this isnt a scientific procedure, just my observation. do a load test with the batteries being fully charged.

you may find the batteries need to be replaced.
please feel free to contact me at 1-602-549-3638. if i dont answer, leave me a message. i dont call back to hangups. too many solicitors.
i will return your call.
paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
Paul, thanks for the help and your guidance sounds right to me. When the solenoid buzzed instead of engaging, it seemed like a car with a dead battery where the solenoid clicks but car doesn't start. I'm much better equipped to deal with 12 volt supply than complex circuit boards so your analysis makes me feel a lot better. I'm going to look at the ground side of connections and clean them too. We're leaving tomorrow on a 4 day shakedown cruise for our "new" RV so I'll bring my tools and multimeter and hopefully find the cause. It could very well be the batteries themselves so I can check what happens to voltage them when I put them under load. Thanks you so much for including your phone number.. that was very nice of you. I'll try to figure this out without a call to you, but if I reach the end of my rope I'll yell for help. Greg

Tags
hwh, slide