Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #1

HWH X Slide in 2006 Allegro Bus

I am seeking advice about an HWH slide.

I have tried calling HWH service techs but call backs are a month or so out.

A problem with our 2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus with the HWH X Slide system. Slide is on passenger side. Front or left side (as seen from interior) won’t go out. Rear or right side goes out until it binds and gets stuck (I got it bound because I did not realize the front/left side was not moving). Once out the rear/right side of slide will not come back in. I used a car scissor type jack to crank that side of the slide back in. Loosened solenoid release nuts first. I jacked the slide almost all the way in but pushing the IN button still would not bring the slide in. I jacked it all the way in and have left the jack in place as we travel.

Called Tiffin (we have a 2006 Allegro Bus) and they first suggested the Sync Cylinder. Got authorization to send Sync back to HWH and did – they received it last Monday and called to say nothing wrong with it – so sent it back – got it last Wed. and installed and tried again. Front/left of slide still does not move. Chain does not move. Cylinder does not move. Rear/right will still go out but not come back in without jacking.

Oil tank is full. Solenoids check out OK as far as I know – from what I understand the rear would not being going out if the solenoid was not opening the valve for that slide. The one solenoid opens the valve for both cylinders as I understand it.

I see no oil leaks anywhere.

My thinking is if cylinder does not move and the chain does not move then the problem is probably the cylinder. Got the cylinder out and sent it back to HWH – authorized. They got it a couple of days ago and finally called today to say that cylinder seems OK. Kelly in parts told me they just told her they replaced a couple of clips or something but she didn’t know what that meant. They said the cylinder was OK. I wedge a 2X4 at that end of the slide to keep it from moving as we travel.

We are traveling in the Dakotas and Montana heading west but almost want to go back to IA to see if we can get in to HWH for repairs. But I am usually pretty good at fixing things and figuring things out. This thing has me mystified as I cannot figure what could possibly be wrong if the two cylinders both check out at HWH. I have had the chain out once before to replace a plastic roller so have some idea how that is supposed to work and to my thinking if something is jamming the slide to keep it from moving the tension in the chain would still go from pushing the slide in to trying to pull the slide out – but the chain does not move and the cylinder does not move.

HWH will ship the cylinder back tomorrow and with luck I will get it on Friday and try to put it all back together on Saturday. I will be going through all I can think of to track down the problem in the meantime.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! We're sorry that it took a problem to get you to join, but we hope that you will stay engaged after you have a resolution.

Paul Maddox is a member here and works for HWH and is a tremendous resource. His member name is Az Pete. His number is 602 549 3638. Leave him a message and he will call you back as soon as he can.
ThePowells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced the cylinder and both chains on my X-Slide (I have a thread with photos somewhere on this forum).

You need to have the slide arms disconnected from slide room and run them out and in a couple of times to synchronize. Also check the mounting brackets at the top and bottom on each side for looseness (mine had some broken and loose screws).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #4

HWH X Slide in 2006 Allegro Bus

Thanks CountryB for the sync procedure document. That is going to be a big help. I think I can figure it out.

Note - ThePowells - I have actually been a member here since 2008 but I am not a regular visitor to forums (any forums). I think I have posted a few times here over the years. Maybe I will spend more time here now that I know there is help to be found - and maybe I can be of help to others at times.

Here is what I know so far based on the sync procedure CountryB sent. It seems I need to do something so both sides of the slides and both cylinder assemblies are disconnected from the slide so I can then operate the cylinders without having them move the slide. The front end of the slide is not a big problem as I can access most of the parts. But the rear of the slide is another story since all the kitchen cabinets and one piece counter top are all built in around the whole X-Slide mechanism. There is no way to get to either cylinder or chain if the slide is out. I think I can get in there enough to pull the bolt that attaches the chain to the X-slide braces. I can't get to where the chain attaches to that cylinder but my thinking is if I detach the chain by pulling that one bolt then the chain and cylinder will be completely free of the X-slide braces etc. With any luck I can then go through the sync procedure being careful that that chain does not get hung up on anything. Once I get the cylinders in sync I can then reattach everything and hopefully operate the slide.

I have previously (years ago) had to pull the front chain to replace a roller. A machine shop in Boise was able to fabricate a new Teflon roller that is still working. Why these rollers sometime break i do not know. Anyway, I have some experience with working on the chains so have some idea what to do. It was years ago so I am not exactly sure how I did it but since I was able to figure it out once I think I can do it again.

I now have to hope the cylinder comes back from HWH tomorrow and that it will work. It was not working before but HWH said all they did was replace a couple of clips - I have no idea what that means or why a couple of clips would stop the cylinder from working. Fingers crossed that the cylinder works and I can get the air bled out of it and then get everything put back together. Another learning experience in the RV learning curve.

Thanks again for the help. I will post the results as soon as I know.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #5

I don't really have much of a clue about the HWH jack system other than they seem to have lots of problems (actually just the same problem over and over), and a few slide problems, but I do know that Paul is a limitless resource for the forum and a tremendous asset for HWH.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I found it much easier to remove the pins where they attach to the mounting bracket at the top and bottom, and remove the brackets.

My setup sounds a little like yours. I had to remove the counter/cabinet that sticks out from the main counter top section. It was not too hard.

In the photo, this is the right side X-Frame. The section of counter removed protrudes toward camera (if that make sense) and covers the opening shown where the plumbing and electrical lines come form slide room to stationary part of coach. The X-Frame mechanism is behind the white metal cover piece.

The other photo show the mounting bracket on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Plumbing at Slide extension.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	253003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Slideout Roller and Hydraulics.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	253004  

Old 08-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

Sorry to take so long to post a follow up - probably too late now but here goes. The cylinder was fine. Eventually found that a hose leaked but it leaked in a trough so no oil was visible. Finally tracked it down. But in the meantime I found that more rollers on both front and rear chains were broken. HWH will no longer sell the repair parts to replace the rollers so I bought new chains at about $128 each. The new chains are very stiff and have a curve. The curve makes installation almost impossible. To do the front one I had to pull the cylinder to attach the chain and then put the cylinder back. This would not be possible to do the rear without pulling the whole kitchen cabinet system out - which is a really big project on this particular vehicle. The old chains have been worked in and a looser and less curved than the new chains. So I took the new and old chains to a nearby machine shop and has them rebuild and old chain with the rollers from the new chain - had to be riveted in so I could not do this myself. The old roller could then be reinstalled in the rear location - a project but got it done. I also go several new hoses from HWH as well as the one that leaked so replaced a few hoses while the whole thing was pulled apart. Another learning experience. An expert would probably figure it out a lot faster than I did but now I know a lot more than I did before. If hose run through enclosed spaces find a way to check in those areas for oil leaks - there could be leaks that cannot be seen. The rollers on these chains seem to me to be a bad idea - many of them break and are extremely difficult to replace.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #8

Country,
I have the same setup as you. Noticed the end of the support roller sticking out. I do not have that in mine. I have 1 roller on the outside forward and 1 in the middle forward facing down but nothing in the back. The room is suspended on the X arms only right. Question is did you or someone else add that roller or did Monaco leave it out of my coach. I swear at times mine was the last one to come down the line after everyone was told they were unemployed as soon as it cleared the production floor
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I did not add the floor mounted rollers - there are four on my setup along the outer edge of the wall opening. I suppose it depends on how long the room is (or maybe a Monaco versus Beaver design).

I know what you mean about the new chain being curved. Did you see my thread on this? What a pain to install. I decided I might as well replace both chains so I ordered the chain for the other side. it was not as curved and went on okay.

On the floor roller in the photo, I noticed the hard rubber outer covering was peeling off. So I replaced that too, while everything was apart.

Lastly, where the X-Frame arms bolt to the wall, I had a couple of loose bolts and two broken off. So I'm glad I checked. Would have hated for that mounting bracket to have pulled off the wall when trying to retract the slide somewhere away form home base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Roller.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	258579  

Tags
allegro, allegro bus, hwh, slide