Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2006, 06:59 PM   #1

i am having a problem. Leveled rv for fluid checks. All jacks worked. went to retract jacks and rt front jack wont retract. both rear jacks are up left front works. rv is currently on two front jacks - called for help - instructed to "force" left front up. went out to do this and it started retracting without any help but left front jack would not work while the rt front was working, so I alternated back and forth and the rt front stopped working again. Could this be stuck vavles - as the home was stored for about 1 1/2 years before we bought it about 2 months ago. First problem we have had. If it is stuck valves how do i unstick them???? I appreciate any possible solutions. We rented our first Rv in june and loved it, so we looked and found one to buy right after we returned home. suppossed to go out of town with it fri. but if i cant get the jacks up we will just be spinnin our wheels. lol thanks again
angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2006, 06:59 PM   #2

i am having a problem. Leveled rv for fluid checks. All jacks worked. went to retract jacks and rt front jack wont retract. both rear jacks are up left front works. rv is currently on two front jacks - called for help - instructed to "force" left front up. went out to do this and it started retracting without any help but left front jack would not work while the rt front was working, so I alternated back and forth and the rt front stopped working again. Could this be stuck vavles - as the home was stored for about 1 1/2 years before we bought it about 2 months ago. First problem we have had. If it is stuck valves how do i unstick them???? I appreciate any possible solutions. We rented our first Rv in june and loved it, so we looked and found one to buy right after we returned home. suppossed to go out of town with it fri. but if i cant get the jacks up we will just be spinnin our wheels. lol thanks again
Old 08-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #3

You don't say what type of MH you have, or what make jacks you have so I am only guessing for what I am familiar with - HWH

If there is some debris in the valve body, often it can be dislodged by fully extending the jacks and then lowering. I had this happen when we first got our rig, and I have heard of many others with similar problems.

It seems that often manufacturing debris gets in the reservoir tank and lines during production and finds its way to the valve body.

I'm sure many others more knowledgeable than I will jump in and give you more and possibly better advice.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Angie, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the forum. You will find we are a group of fun loving RVers that like to help each other where we can. Any questions you have, just ask. You may also try cleaning the pistons of the jacks and lubricating them; use a silicone spray. Good luck and stay safe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Angie,
Your profile mentions you have a 1993 Damon 33ft. I am assuming this is a gas powered coach with spring suspension (no air bags).

Not knowing the Brand of jacks you have, the generic way to get a stubborn jack up is to pry it up by wedging something (crow bar/long board) under the pad and manually lifting the jack. Then place more boards under your lever and keep on lifting until the jack is fully raised. Before doing this, I would do what RV Wizard suggested and clean/lubricate the piston. To lubricate, I use Lithuim grease. It comes in a spray can and you can get it at Lowes or Home Depot. What ever lubrication you use, it will take several cycles before it begins to work. Consider lubricating each cycle for the next few cycles. If the jacks are retracted by external springs, consider replacing them.

My words are for hydraulic jacks. If you have electric jacks, I have no experience with them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #6

One of my jacks would not retract.The solenoid coil was bad.Switching with a good coil allowed me to raise the jack.Powerjack wanted to sell me a complete valve for $160. I found a replacement coil for $15.May not be your problem.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Be careful about the lubricating of the piston! HWH does not recomend putting anything on their pistons as it attracts dirt and grime and then grinds it into the seals when one retracts.

The problem if this is HWH jacks will probably be fixed by excersizing the jack several times and possibly replacing the springs if they are tired. Contact HWH for the replacements.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If it is a Power Gear jack, there is a grease fitting on the fixed part of the jack, where the piston slides in. Get a grease gun and inject some grease and chances are the stubborn jack will move nicely after that. These grease fittings need to be lubed periodically, generally whenever you have the rest of the chassis lubricated.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #9

Not all Power Gear systems have piston grease zerks; including my 2001.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #10

What type of grease is proper for the Power Gear jack?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:37 AM   #11

thanks to everyone who responded as it turns out i didn't have enough power in the one battery to work the jacks properly so once i jumped them together - they worked perfectly.

Keepin it rollin (barely) lol
Old 09-28-2006, 06:12 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do have grease zerks on the jack, use lithium grease. The manufacturer suggests this because it is lightweight and won't impede the jack retracting.
psyflyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote