RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #1

Hydroboost/steering gear HELP!

My motorhome has a Bendix Hydro boost and Saginaw steering gear. I just replaced the steering gear. Everything was working fine, it was just a little sloppy. So I bought a steering gear and bolted it in. I've done this a few times before in this motorhome, and have never really had any issues. HOWEVER this time, I put the box in, cranked it back and forth a few times, topped off the fluid. Drove downt he road, and the steering was a little stiff until I got to the end of the road. By then is was working normal. I drove a few miles to the gas station. Had to work around a little bit to get close to the pump. Everything still was working normal. Drove home and parked it. Two days later, I went to drive it, and I had no power steering and no brakes. Reving the engine, at about 4 grand, I had a little bit of steering. It was all I could do to get it back into the drive. Disconnected the pitman arm, and worked the wheel back and forth for about a 1/2 hour. Connected it back up, and I could get a little power steering at about 2500 RPM. I messed around with this thing all day, but still no power assist. I pulled the return line from the hydroboost. Anytime I release the pedal, I get a shot of fluid. Had a clear hose attached straight up in the air, so I could see. 1 or two tiny bubbles but otherwise just fluid. The Hydroboost has 3 lines. 1 inlet. 1 return to the resiviour, and 1 line that feeds the power steering gear. I pulled the one off that feeds the steering gear, Started the engine and did not see any fluid come out. I then removed the pressure line from the pump to the Hydroboost. I cranked the engine a little bit, and got no fluid. I didn't crank it long, but I would have expected to see a stream of fluid.
Does the engine have to be running to see fluid? How much fluid should one see? Should it be a stream our or spray like crazy? (it does neither)

I should also mention the pump is quiet. When I first filled it, there was a slight whine till I got to the end of the street. Its been quiet ever since. I should also mention the belts are good and tight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
From what you've said, it sounds like the pump is bad, or something got flushed into the system when you installed the new part, blocking fluid flow. Is there a filter in the system?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #3

No filter. The fact that the pump is dead quiet, even after removing the hydroboost line and reinstalling it. Normally until the lines fill back up, the pump should whine. This pump has no whine at all. Working on it again today. Ever since I decided to put this coach up for sale, it has been 2 steps forward and about 10 steps back. While testing the power steering, the module died in the distributor.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #4

Just thought I should give an update. It turned out to be the pump. The pump would flow fluid, but would not build any pressure. When i pulled the pump, the check valve was collapsed. I ended up replacing the pump. I think it has been failing for a while, as the brakes and steering are both improved.

Tags
steering