Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
If your buying new there's a serious price difference between a new A vs a new C. Once they put a few years on the separation in selling price is often pretty negligible, at least from my experience looking in Az. Thus for the initial investment your in roughly the same ballpark so get the A. I never met a class A owner who regretted not buying a C instead.

As for there being more to go wrong in a Class A, I don't think that's right. You can find simple A's or fully decked out C's. When choosing a specific vehicles you'll want to avoid accessories in any vehicle that you don't imagine using, if fewer systems to repair is actually such a huge issue for you. I think in practice though you'll likely be more concerned with the overall condition of the vehicle than with which specific accessories it has.

I played endless similar mind games when I was just looking for my first RV, but when I went out with real intent of buying one it was obvious when I found the right one. Buying used means choosing the whole rig, not selecting specific options like buying new.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
In your first post I got the impression it was just you. In this post you used the word WE. If there is two of you definitely consider the A.

You're right. It will be just me (and two cats for a few months) living in the RV. But I AM a family man. My wife and I do not have a TV (our largest vehicle is a 6 cyl Durango w/ no tow package).
NerdyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #17

One aspect that just occurred to me (after thinking about your input); I may net be traveling long distance very often, but I will be changing campgrounds and campsites very often. The leveling jacks alone would probably add immense value in terms of minimizing frustration and exposure to "oh no" 's. (ie. bumping into trees while trying to get onto leveling blocks. )

It would seem to me that camp setup would be Much better (easier) in a class a.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #18

Leveling jacks are available for class C as well. I have a full auto set of Bigfoot jacks on our 2013 class C. You may have trouble finding an older C with jacks.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #19

I am Torn Between Class A Gasser and Class C

Yeah, I'm definitely not in a position to buy anything that new. :shrug:
Old 06-15-2014, 05:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I've owned both and the class C has a hood and cab that is included in the advertized length and that area is not usable except for the bunk over the cab. In a class A the usable area extends clear to the dash as the captains chairs can be turned around and used and the dash can be used as a computer station.

Boy, am I ever glad I didn't read that earlier!

I've been using the front seats (swivelled around) as an easy chair and part of the house space for years in my C.

I would have missed out on a lot. LOL.

BTW, I looked at an A and used my Fathers A a lot before buying my own unit. I couldn't find an A with TWO full-time beds, just those terrible jackknife sofas.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:03 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Most rvers contract the ggb desease over time so I highly recommend going sraight
to the class A. This will reduce your chances of the dreaded ( godda get bigger desease)
You can pay now or pay more later. Good luck with your decision.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #22

I've pretty much decided on an A. (It would have to be an exceptional c for me to go that route at this point).

Do you think I will regret getting a gasser?
Old 06-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #23

I can't add too much to what has already been said. I've owned a 24 foot Class C and currently own a 35 foot Class A. The Class A wins hands down. I'm a DIY type of guy and I didn't find the systems on the Class A to be anymore complicated than the Class C.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #24

Cab area of our first motorhome, a 2002 Coachmen Leprechaun 31' Class C with jack knife sofa, the Captain's chairs had no room to turn them around and even if you could there was no room for legs or feet:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5581.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	65438  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyNomad View Post
I've pretty much decided on an A. (It would have to be an exceptional c for me to go that route at this point).

Do you think I will regret getting a gasser?

I thought I'd regret getting a gasser, since I've driven a diesel powered bus for a living for more than 20 years professionally. Sure there's a difference, and the gas vs DP debate will NEVER be resolved. So let me just give the facts, not opinions, that have colored my opinion on the issue.

Gassers are always cheaper to buy, the spread even in used RV's between a gasser and a similar DP will be appreciable.

The gasser will get the job done. I've taken my 36' class A gasser everywhere I want. Sure I've crawled up an 8 percent grade in the right lane with the engine revving at 4000 rpm, but that Ford V10 is up to the task and has a reliability record second to none.

I can tow only 5 tons, not 10. Well my hybrid Ford toad only weighs 3200 pounds so I personally still have a ton and a half of unused capacity I have no use of, instead of six and a half tons of unused capacity.

The fuel cost vs mileage benefit debate is also never going to be resolved. Let's just say that the overall fuel cost in operating both are pretty darn close.

So why does my "I won the lottery" fantasy still include upgrading to a DP? Because the front engine hump, and the noise level when climbing with high revs aren't as comfortable when compared to the DP.

That's about it. I bought the right rig at the right price, and my budget dictated it had to be a gasser. Even with my expecting that my decades of driving a DP professionally would mean that I wouldn't be satisfied with a gasser, that just isn't the case.

I'm very satisfied with my V10 gasser, except as I said when I trip on the engine cover, or have to listen to the high revs when climbing very steep hills. Only you can decide how many thousands of dollars eliminating those minor inconveniences are worth to your budget.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 06-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Here are a few differences between gas and diesel pushers haven't seen mentioned on this thread yet .....

The gas MH needs a long driveshaft going from the front engine all the way to the rear axle. This takes away space that could be used for storage. The diesel pusher has a very short driveshaft, and so the basement storage can go all the way from side to side - hence "pass thru" storage. DP can carry heavier loads, so in most cases ( check this to determine your individual case) you can load this increased basement storage up with lots of stuff.

If you plan on parking without electrical hookups ( boondocking or Wally docking) the diesel generators on the DP are usually quieter, and run longer by nature of the DP's much larger fuel tank compared with a gas MH. Not only are they quieter (if you have the type with an inverter), but since they are in the front, and the bedroom is in the rear, you will hardly notice it running while sleeping. A gas MH typically has the generator under your bed !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
A gas MH typically has the generator under your bed !

This has been mentioned before. I'm of the mind that some bushings between the genny and the frame that it sits on as well as some acoustic padding in that storage compartment would do quite a bit to fix that issue.

(As a side note, I've slept is some of the most austere conditions. My last "home" was a 12'x10' 2 by4 and plywood shack no less than 8' from a 60KW genny. The genny noise in a MH might turn out to be soothing to me. Lol).
Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyNomad View Post
This has been mentioned before. I'm of the mind that some bushings between the genny and the frame that it sits on as well as some acoustic padding in that storage compartment would do quite a bit to fix that issue.

(As a side note, I've slept is some of the most austere conditions. My last "home" was a 12'x10' 2 by4 and plywood shack no less than 8' from a 60KW genny. The genny noise in a MH might turn out to be soothing to me. Lol).

I boondock quite often. What possible reason could I have for running a generator while I'm asleep? Every gasser I have every seen uses propane heating and 12 volt lighting.

We are boondocking right now in the Cascade Mountains at Beckler River near Skykomish and we haven't used our generator for more than 30 minutes in the three days we've been here (though we will run it today to recharge the batteries for about an hour). I can't even imagine a single scenario we'd ever use it when we are in bed. In fact having it under the back section makes it a bit quieter in the living area when we do use it.

Edit... I just imagined a scenario where I'd use the generator at night, needing the AC. We've never been in that situation, the purpose of our RV is to escape the Az heat, never to travel to more of it. We have always been comfortable at night with the windows open, and I have a 12 volt fan on my nightstand.

Needing the AC at night while boondocking might be a factor for you however, which I didn't initial consider.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)

Tags
class a, class c, gas