Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #15

I use a truck tire air chuck that has a five foot hose. You connect it then stand up and away from the tire to inflate. They are not cheap but do not require much space to carry on the motorhome
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought some 5-gallon bucket lid seats from amazon and put them on Home Depot buckets. Keep one in the back of the toad, one in a storage bay and one inside the coach. I use them for tire check/inflation, wet bay work, hooking/unhooking toad, anything that I would otherwise have to bend over or kneel down.

I keep cleaning supplies in one, microfiber cloths and wax stuff in one, drop cord with light in one, so they aren't just taking up space.

Keeps my knees and back in better shape.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 06-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #17

I use a folding stool to sit on when I fill my tires. The problem with anything on wheels is they don't work well in dirt, gravel, mud, or grass.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #18

Commercial Member

Adjusting air pressure should not be anything you need more than once every 2 to 4 months.
Your primary concern is not getting low on air. With that in mind that is why I recommend a +10% margin above your minimum required cold inflation. With pressure changing a bit less than 2% for each change in morning temperature of 10F you really should be able to go weeks without needing to add air. While a + 50F temperature change is possible it would normally be infrequent and I see no reason to be worried to seeing your cold pressure +12% as that would also limit your hot pressure increase.

Now a drop of 50F is more concerning as they would use up your 10% margin but again this should be unusual.

The big advantage is that with a good TPMS you no longer have to go out and check air each morning of a travel day.

I have posted in my blog on how I turn on my TPMS monitor when I get up and by the time I have my coffee the sensors have all checked in and I can see the latest pressure readings.

A couple years ago I did a 7 week 7,000 trip Ohio > Oregon > Calgary > Ohio and only adjusted pressure once.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It's great that you guys are keeping an eye on your tire pressure.

But what kind of tires are you running that you have to check them so often?

I just got our rig out of the shed today and found the pressure in all six 22.5 tires to be right where I want them.

It's been nearly 2 years since I have changed the pressure, and then it was to drop the fronts 10 psi.

I realize the importance of a TPMS, and that works for me.

Happy Glamping.

PS. I use a door mat to kneel on when I need to get down low. Works for me.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:32 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Supervise the wife, or get a young, nimble girlfriend? :-) Take a grandchild and teach them?
Old 06-22-2020, 12:43 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have #1,2, and 4. I never use #1 - too cumbersome but it was a gift from the well meaning DW. I don’t use it in creeper mode either because it’s too high. Need a lowboy creeper to be useful.

I use #2 if I’m going to have more than a few parts or tools involved because the under-seat tray holds more, but #4 is my favorite because of the height adjustment and swivel seat. Both of them have casters that swivel for good maneuverability.

#3 looks interesting and I suspect my grandsons would love it, but probably less useful because of the wheel arrangement. I think I’d classify that as a gardening seat.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
My kneeling pad is more like this. Easy to use and store. https://www.duluthtrading.com/duluth...hoCEk0QAvD_BwE I also carry a small folding camp stool for when I need to sit to do something. For tires, either pass through Alligator caps or tpms. I love my Tire Traker system.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
My neighbor, also an RVer uses one of these, it is comfortable to kneel on and the handle help you to get up.
https://www.agrisupply.com/garden-kn...3|pkw||pmt|be|
I'm getting one of these.

I also use a hunting stool which helps when I come off the driveon beach and need to air up. (in my SUV) but I also carry it in the rv. Folds up so doesn't take up much room.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/HERT...2.uts?slotId=2
Old 06-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
i have the three legged version for camping which is handy when you are trying to work on something close and need your legs out of the way and folds up quickly and easily into a small package. And it doubles as a grand kid camp chair.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...ref=prd2882142
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F39C230-2E84-41D9-BA30-FE6B70EB1C3F.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	290476  
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #25

The only way to eliminate getting down/up is to install a TPMS; even then, once every 2-3 years the batteries should be changed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
My neighbor, also an RVer uses one of these, it is comfortable to kneel on and the handle help you to get up.

https://www.agrisupply.com/garden-kn...3|pkw||pmt|be|

Great idea Tony! Thanks
Old 06-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
It's great that you guys are keeping an eye on your tire pressure.

But what kind of tires are you running that you have to check them so often?

I just got our rig out of the shed today and found the pressure in all six 22.5 tires to be right where I want them.

It's been nearly 2 years since I have changed the pressure, and then it was to drop the fronts 10 psi.

I realize the importance of a TPMS, and that works for me.

Happy Glamping.

PS. I use a door mat to kneel on when I need to get down low. Works for me.

After weighing I found I was 3-5 lbs low in the back 4.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:21 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have the round mechanics chair that is height adjustable and rolls. I use it to wax the side of the motor home, or do any job that I would have previously gotten on my knees to do, like work in a bay. I use it for everything. I even use it to roll the 9' Xmas tree into the house, so I don't have to carry it. A lot of uses when you have a bad back and knees.

I bought a cheap square Harbor Freight model that I cut up, so it came apart and is easier to store. I keep it in a bay and can use it while camping.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote