Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2022, 08:55 AM   #1

I don't understand the advantages of a "Super C" motorhome

So before I begin - let me emphasize I am just trying to learn. I'm not trying to insult anyone's choice of a Super C. Bottom line is, when it comes to the Super C motorhomes, I genuinely don't understand the purpose. I'm sure I'm missing something in my knowledge base, and someone will chime in and let me know what it is.
The last trip we took, we were parked across from a Super C. It was beautiful of course, but I was confused by what advantages it offered. Your typical gas powered Class C, when compared to a typical Class A diesel, is somewhat smaller for those who don't need or want a 40'+ rig, and is typically less expensive. I get all that and understand completely.

I look at a Super C from a size, cost and comfort perspective. They cost as much if not more than a Class A diesel. They are as large or larger than a Class A diesel. Yet, you still have the disadvantage of riding in a truck style more confined cockpit rather than the spacious cockpit of a Class A, and you have the loud engine right up there with you when you drive.

I'm obviously missing something here - what is it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2022, 09:02 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Super Class C advantages may be found in:

https://justdownsize.com/should-i-bu...20or%20a%20car
https://rvinspectionandcare.com/super-c-vs-class-a/
Old 08-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't think any type of RV has an advantage over any other. It's mostly a matter of preference. Some like the ride with a Super C, or the cab with doors, or something. Others will say something to counter that with some feature of their type of unit that the Super C doesn't have. There are differences that make them unique, and if that's your thing, that's what you buy. We've had a wide variety of rigs over the years and they were all great and I wouldn't go back and replace any of them. Each had its advantages and it's peculiarities, but we loved them all.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:20 AM   #4

A Super C or a regular C for that matter keeps the OEM truck manufacturer's cab and builds the coach in back of it. Having seen how Class A builders can botch the front end, I would much prefer Ford or International doing it rather than the coach builder.

Yes for the overall length the Super C has less usable space than a Class A because the hood sticks out and takes up space on a Super C. That is actually an advantage to me because I can maintain a truck engine and peripherals but every time I look in the front of my Class A gasser (Thor Axis) access is horrible, particularly oil changing and chassis battery access.

Finally noise. Yes a pusher diesel will be quieter, but it takes up several feet of space in the back same as the cab and engine in the front of a Super C. And some have reported a Super C diesel being decently quiet. And I don't believe maintaining a pusher diesel is all that easy due to access limitations.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:34 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we bought our super "C", a 2007 Jayco Seneca 33ss, it was because the DW wanted an engine out front "for safety". Four trips to Florida and back and I hated it. Long useless overhang over the windshield, and an 8" step up from the cab to the house, and a very confining seating system.

After her stroke, I traded it for a 2004 Pace Arrow 37c class "A" gasser.
Now she sits on the same level as the house, has a panoramic view, can swivel her seat, and has a desk for her laptop. Two trips to Florida and she is a happy camper........
Happy wife = happy life.

JMHO
Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:26 AM   #6

Some items we’ve thought about as we consider our next coach which will be a diesel and possibly a Super C.

1. Ease of service. Pop the hood and there’s the engine as opposed to accessing it via a rear hatch or via a access panel in the bathroom.

2. Safety. Big engine and frame sitting out in front of you.

3. Windshields are cheaper. Probably not a big one for the list, but they are easier to get and less expensive.

4. Towing capacity. Some of the Super C’s have big time towing limits.

5. Service. Access to more service centers as some prefer not to work on motorhomes, but have less issues working on the Freightliner “box” truck.

6. Sleeping capacity.

Every rig has some type of compromise and I’m still leaning heavily towards an A myself, but the wife likes the Super C’s and used to drive our old Class C, but won’t drive our current Class A so they are on our list.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:56 AM   #7

Many will say that our Thor Omni isn't even a "real" Super C, since the floor of the coach is much higher than the floor of the cab (it is built on a Ford, F-550 chassis). The somewhat awkward transition from cab to coach didn't really matter to us, as I do all the driving, so when we want lunch or a potty break, we have to stop anyway. And yes, a lot of the 33 foot length is the "truck" sitting out in front of the coach.

We were downsizing from a 42 foot fifth wheel, wanting to get into places that the toy hauler wouldn't go. A regular C would have worked, but I wanted the power and fuel economy of the diesel, and didn't want the heat and noise of a gas engine sitting right between my wife and I. Our Viszla loves her place right where the doghouse would be in a "regular" C.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:46 AM   #8

I don't understand the advantages of a "Super C" motorhome

The first super c motorhomes I remember seeing many years ago were Freightliners and all toy haulers and/or pulling stacker trailers to automotive venues. So in my mind towing capacity and ability to be a toy hauler would be primary advantages.

Toy haulers have the ability to have a back porch area that some find attractive.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:04 PM   #9

My opinion it’s all about the power, most have 2-3 times the tow capacity than a typical gas class C.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:24 PM   #10

I'll try to answer the question based on my experience. I'm not here to change anyone's mind and believe we all have our preferences. There are many levels of what defines a Super C and it can be debated endlessly. I believe I've got one of the kings of the Super Cs in a Renegade Classic, 45', on a Cascadia 126 chassis and big block Cummins ISX15. The quality, fit and finish can be compared to any rig on the road. Below are the reasons why I like my rig:
1) King of the road power (550) and torque (1850)
2) Towing capacity north of 25,000 lbs
3) Impossible to overload the chassis. I can carry 1,000lb each of water and
diesel with no effect on handling or mileage plus all my supplies etc.
4) Engine is far from loud. Higher end rigs have tons of noise deadening and
the big diesel idles down the road at 70 mph at 1,500 rpms
5) Service at thousands of truck stops anywhere, without any reservation or
hesitation just because its an RV
6) Just replaced one of my windshield panels, in stock, same day $300.
7) Laser straight handling, no getting pushed around by wind or passing rigs
8) Twin screw, eight wheel drive with air lockers. Almost never get stuck. I
like to boondock in the woods
9) Cab doors, no trouncing through the coach after fuel stops.
10) Easy to close off the cab area after long drives, no heat seeping into the
bedroom from the engine bay
11) True three stage engine brake. No white knuckle descends
12) Really a blast to drive, firm but not harsh. The leather Flexsteel air seats
are the most comfortable chairs I own.

Anyway, I could go on and on. We all have our favorites. Bottom line, get out there and drive.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #11

I really think it boils down to if you like class C motorhomes or class A motorhomes. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

As stated above, many Super C's have huge towing capability, and serviceability is a plus. Class A's on the other hand can be had with comparable towing capability, although you're probably going to spend north of a comparable super C I think. Class A's are also going to have more living space for the same length.

Bottom line is all motorhomes have compromises. Go with what suits you and is within your budget requirements.
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
So before I begin - let me emphasize I am just trying to learn. I'm not trying to insult anyone's choice of a Super C. Bottom line is, when it comes to the Super C motorhomes, I genuinely don't understand the purpose. I'm sure I'm missing something in my knowledge base, and someone will chime in and let me know what it is.
The last trip we took, we were parked across from a Super C. It was beautiful of course, but I was confused by what advantages it offered. Your typical gas powered Class C, when compared to a typical Class A diesel, is somewhat smaller for those who don't need or want a 40'+ rig, and is typically less expensive. I get all that and understand completely.

I look at a Super C from a size, cost and comfort perspective. They cost as much if not more than a Class A diesel. They are as large or larger than a Class A diesel. Yet, you still have the disadvantage of riding in a truck style more confined cockpit rather than the spacious cockpit of a Class A, and you have the loud engine right up there with you when you drive.

I'm obviously missing something here - what is it?
Well, yo are right. There are different sides to every MH type.
Pros & Cons to each.
Quickie rundown:
Super C:
Pros, normally higher towing capacity; advantage of having engine out in front for more protection in case of accident. Also some people like driving something that is more like a truck/car than the Flat front of a Class A: Engine is more accessible, make maintenance much much easier: Heavy duty chassis: Lower driving position height: Easy access for driver and passenger:
Cons: Less storage, sometimes due to shaft; sometimes no Pass-thru storage: Some say noisier due to engine placement (not really- newer diesels are very quiet); Some RV parks will not let you in (due to not being a Class A): less space due to cab: Not family viewing friendly due to cab and not massive windshield:

Class A:
Pro's Great viewing for family out of front wind shield: Engine in the rear, less noise: Pass-thru storage:
Con's Only one entry/Exit, and it's small and cumbersome: Maintenance on engine is terrible: Cooling system has issues due to radiator location:

Others will chime in because I know I haven't listed everything, but you should get the drift.
Personally to me, a FRED or Super C is the only way to go, they get a bit better MPG's and have greater tow ratings.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:29 PM   #13

IMO KFed 90 10 is the only true Super C owner who has posted. A 450 chassis or less is a regular class C.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:46 PM   #14

Thanks all - that certainly shines a light on some differences that I wasn't aware of. The safety thing hadn't popped into my head, but I have to admit that I have tought about how vulnerable we are riding down the road behind a fiberglass front cap that has the structural crash resistance of a potato chip.
Safety, engine access - that all makes sense to me. Thanks again.

Tags
motor, motorhome