Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2022, 12:03 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
In a class C, once parked, you have no view out the front as the windshield is about shin level. In a class A, you have the windshield as a huge picture window at eye level whether standing or sitting.
One of the first things I do when parked is close the curtains so it doesn't make a difference to me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #44

Even though we had one for 10 years, and she sometime drove it, the optics from the large front windshield of our Class A DP made my wife uncomfortable when it was moving at highway speeds. It eventually became too much discomfort and not enough fun for her. So I bought a 36" Super C on a Ford F-550 Super Duty chassis. Now she is comfortable and we are both having RV fun. Its all a matter of what type RV best fits you needs. PS: Because the steer wheels are in front of the driver, it is easier to maneuver.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
A super C has either a class 5 or 8 semi truck as a front end. Ran a class 6 as a tv for years. Very comfi and easy to live with. Usef it as our daily when traveling..

These trucks are meant to be hammered 365 days a year..there is absolutely no comparison to a reg c or a mh unless you are talking a rig like a Prevost.

Would love a class 8 super c but my budget doesn't Worth ever nickle.

BTW, there is zero comparison between a class 5 truck and a 550 or 5500. The latter 2 are still pick ups and cannot handle the abuse an industrial truck can take.

Cheers..
Truck classifications are by GVWR not the mfgrs. assigned size numbers.
This will help you understand truck classification categories https://www.fullbay.com/wp-content/u...s_v3_Print.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:36 PM   #46

There are a lot of long answers on here, but the easiest one is the reason they where made in the first place and that would be to tow a crap load. Normal diesel pushers can tow 5-10K but a Super C can usually tow 10k at a minimum up through 20k. Plain and simple. If you need tow capacity then get a super c if not get an A since it has more room.

Super C’s are cool as Sh!t also though!!! [emoji3]
JayFlightMik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:55 PM   #47

SAFETY -- I would buy a Super C to have a truck chassis. I bought my 1st DP in '98 and drove from shore to shore, 20k+ miles per year and saw my share of totaled RV's. After 2 1/2 yrs I bought a used bus conversion and drove it 200k miles in 10 yrs, saw a Prevost that survived a 70 mph head-on collision with a pu that was totaled. Moved on to another bus conversion that I kept for 170k miles. A 45' bus was NOT well received in CA or AK and we decided a 40' MH would be a better, which is where we are now. Looking for a Super C or a 40' bus conversion.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:01 PM   #48

Super C safety features

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddmac View Post
I'm very curious that lots of people promote the Class C as much safer due to the large engine up front.

Just a question, where does that large (and non-deformable) engine go in the event of a front end collision?

I would assume that it gets pushed backwards and into the cab - where the passengers are sitting.
Then engines on the Super C’s are designed to be forced down and out below the cab in the event of a head on collision. They also have collapsible steering columns. That combined with front and side airbags earn my vote as the safer one for us, in my opinion.

That huge panoramic windshield in a class A, without airbags, becomes a huge shower of glass in the same head on collision without any airbags to provide some protection.

To each their own, and I hope none of us have to experience that type of major accident.

Travel safely, whatever you choose!
PJDour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJDour View Post
Then engines on the Super C’s are designed to be forced down and out below the cab in the event of a head on collision. They also have collapsible steering columns. That combined with front and side airbags earn my vote as the safer one for us, in my opinion.

That huge panoramic windshield in a class A, without airbags, becomes a huge shower of glass in the same head on collision without any airbags to provide some protection.

To each their own, and I hope none of us have to experience that type of major accident.

Travel safely, whatever you choose!

The driveshaft does a pretty good job of keeping the engine from moving rearward in a collision.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
Some items we’ve thought about as we consider our next coach which will be a diesel and possibly a Super C.

1. Ease of service. Pop the hood and there’s the engine as opposed to accessing it via a rear hatch or via a access panel in the bathroom.

2. Safety. Big engine and frame sitting out in front of you.

3. Windshields are cheaper. Probably not a big one for the list, but they are easier to get and less expensive.

4. Towing capacity. Some of the Super C’s have big time towing limits.

5. Service. Access to more service centers as some prefer not to work on motorhomes, but have less issues working on the Freightliner “box” truck.

6. Sleeping capacity.

Every rig has some type of compromise and I’m still leaning heavily towards an A myself, but the wife likes the Super C’s and used to drive our old Class C, but won’t drive our current Class A so they are on our list.
This pretty well covers all the bases. I would also add, much easier to get into and out of for driver and passenger and in many cases, with just a couple of steps, ample grab handles on door (extra large door) and cab make falling less of an issue. And a much more comfortable driving position, more like a large pickup truck, than a bus.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:24 PM   #51

Amazing view

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
In a class C, once parked, you have no view out the front as the windshield is about shin level. In a class A, you have the windshield as a huge picture window at eye level whether standing or sitting.
We have an amazing view out front of our super c. The entire over cab bunk area is a tinted window.
Tuscany3680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:46 AM   #52

Quote:
I'm very curious that lots of people promote the Class C as much safer due to the large engine up front.

Just a question, where does that large (and non-deformable) engine go in the event of a front end collision?

I would assume that it gets pushed backwards and into the cab - where the passengers are sitting.
The Freightliner M2 chassis is designed for the engine to submarine and go under the drivers compartment in a front end collision.
Bill Davis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:49 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany3680 View Post
We have an amazing view out front of our super c. The entire over cab bunk area is a tinted window.
The Dynamax with the M2 Freightliner chassis the cab is level with the living area so the visibility is very good.
Bill Davis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 04:01 AM   #54

We are going Super C this week, with a 34' Dynamax Force.

Much of this is all based on personal experience and preferences.

Issues :

1) My wife could never get used to driving our, now sold, 31' 2017 Tiffin Breeze. And I must admit that driving it was not exactly a comfortable experience, even after multiple alignments and upgrades. Driving it was tiring for longer hauls. My wife could never get the coach up over the low 60's. 1st time she test drove a Dynamax Super C she had it up to highway speed, in traffic.
- The power of Cummins ISV5.0 was inadequate, especially from a standing start. Yes, we knew it took forever to spool up in order to start moving. Newer models now have the B6.7L Cummins, since Cummins decided to stop production of the ISV5.0.
- Also, the Breeze had front Drum Brakes. Required recalling driving techniques from the 1970's.

2) The huge "greenhouse" in a Class A makes it difficult to heat and cool. And the "windows" are not exactly air tight. So the great advantage of DP Class A's with respect to road noise, was not validated in our opinion. Heating and Cooling often meant running the generator in order to run the Coach A/C's or furnace.

Advantages, as I can see them :

1) Mean Time Between Failure - Major advantage of Super C's built on the Freightliner M2 chassis, again IMO, is that they are not Custom Chassis products. DP Class A's are Custom Chassis, frequently Freightliner but sometimes the Coach Manufacturers own design.
- Manufacturers own design chassis can be problematic. The Breeze is the lowest height DP Class A, it fits in a 12' high garage door. A major feature when we bought the coach. However, it also was very low to the ground. If not careful, after leveling the coach, you might just find out that there was an interference fit between the steps and the ground. This clearance can come into play when encountering varying road levels.

2) Reliability - There are many M2 chassis out on the roads used in varying applications and being driven for miles that most RV's will never see. Not that I anticipate that everything will be problem free, but I am anticipating fewer problems then with the Tiffin Breeze. (Unlubricated Ball joint from factory, leaking transmission cooler & radiator) All found with under 15kmi on the clock. The Breeze is built on a Chassis built on a Tiffin Powerglide chassis.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:19 AM   #55

Quote:

Modern car & trucks are designed and crash tested to have the engine drop into the chassis and not go directly back into the firewall/passenger compartment.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:34 PM   #56

We have a Entegra Accolade Super C and LOVE it! For us, it was all about driving. It drives like a big ole truck. The Class A is weird driving as you are out in front of your tires. Very awkward, I know you get used to it, but we didn't want to get use to it. My parents had a Class A and it was brutal to drive. Making adjustments in your turning radius etc. Our rig is relatively quiet, we haven't had an issue at all. We carry on great conversations. I think it does boil down to driving preferences. Both Super C and the Class A are similar in a lot of ways. And there are pros and cons to EVERY RV. Everyone just has find the one that is right for you and your family.
TXNP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome