Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I Need Battery Advice

Hello friends. I'm using a 2, 6 volt, deep cycle batteries set up. I over filled one of my batteries with too much water and it bubbled out and burned the positive terminal completely through and I need to get a new battery. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer.

(1) Do I need to replace both batteries now? A friend told me that you should replace them both at the same time or the new one will do all the work or something and burn out if I don't. Is this true? The other battery is working fine with plenty of power, is it worthless now? If not should I get a battery identical to my current one (Interstate 6 volt deep cycle extreme)?

(2) What are the best batteries to get? There seems to be a pretty big range of different prices and ah/hrs? Can someone with technical knowledge explain what is best?

(3) Is it worth it to get the type of batteries that don't require you to refill them with water so this doesn't happen again or are those type not as good?

Thank you for all replies!
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have two 12v coach batteries. I had one battery go bad. I replaced both based on forum recommendations.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All I can add is to reflect on my personal experience. Call Interstate Batteries and talk to the technical folks. Explain the situation that you are having and listen to their advice. I have done that on several occasions and their advice was spot on.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

How old are the batteries?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

You didnt mention how ild they are... if fairly new You might have the good one load tested if close to new condition you might take a chance w one.
Otherwise 2 new 6V GCs are the lowest cost / AH / cycle.
Sams Club & Costco about $ 85 each so $170 gets you about 200 AH @12V
AGM GCs are available & convenient but run 2x-2.5x the price of FLA
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Just get one of the cheaper ones, and by the time it dies, the other will be ready to replace. So then get 2 good ones. JMHO.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
How old are the batteries?
The batteries are just over 2 yrs old. The RV is usually plugged into my home when not in use. I usually clean the terminals of carbon build up every 2 weeks and check water levels. The burned one actually still has a good charge on it, just no terminal to hook it to anymore, haha. Can I upgrade to 12 volt batteries or will that overload the system? My RV is old, 30 amp system, 1990 Fleetwood Bounder 34s Chevy, I have a 5500 watt gas generator hooked up.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #8

6 months old in a series set of 6 volt batteries should be ok. Any older and its probable not recommended.

2 ,12 volt batteries wired in parallel will be more forgiving. Even up to a year or two, if well cared for.

From " Yandina.com "

Can I parallel old and new batteries within one bank?
Q **Can I parallel different size batteries within one bank?

A**Although the conventional recommendations are not to mix old and new, good and bad, big and small, etc. in parallel, those misconceptions actually only relate to batteries in SERIES. You should understand the reasons and make up your own mind. The truth is that you can parallel just about anything. The downside is, if they are not matched, one battery (the newer) will tend to carry more of the load and the total capacity will be slightly less than the sum of the individual capacities. If your new battery has a capacity of 100AH and the old one still had 45AH left, then in parallel you will get something around 145AH, where had they both been new 200AH would fit in the space, but it will help and it will work.

When the old one eventually dies, it will drag the new one down but this happens whenever two batteries are in parallel and one dies, the only difference here is it is going to happen sooner than it would had they both been brand new. So big deal, you gained some residual use out of the old one and the new one will not be permanently damaged - just charge it up again.

The bottom line is the batteries in parallel provide more power - never less - than either one on its own - it just may not be the "ideal" way to do it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:41 PM   #9

See the link in post #8 in this batty discussion.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372135

Best comparison of battys I've seen.
This guy is a ABYC certified marine electrician... knows his stuff and does some very comprehensive testing.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Twinboat I didn't know you are a ABYC certified electrician, no wonder your so damn smart.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Twinboat I didn't know you are a ABYC certified electrician, no wonder your so damn smart.
I'm not and never claimed to be.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:24 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
(1) Do I need to replace both batteries now? A friend told me that you should replace them both at the same time or the new one will do all the work or something and burn out if I don't. Is this true? The other battery is working fine with plenty of power, is it worthless now? If not should I get a battery identical to my current one (Interstate 6 volt deep cycle extreme)?
Would you replace just half of a 12 volt battery but not the other half?
There are no six volt batteries in RV's only 12 volt that have been broken into two parts for easier handlihng... Yes replae them both

Quote:
(2) What are the best batteries to get? There seems to be a pretty big range of different prices and ah/hrs? Can someone with technical knowledge explain what is best?
Flooded wet cells (What you have now) Trojan
AGM Lifeline..
However I do not recommend either of those The added quality is not worth the added cost in my opinion.

Quote:
(3) Is it worth it to get the type of batteries that don't require you to refill them with water so this doesn't happen again or are those type not as good?

NO Again the added cost exceeds the added value.
Thank you for all replies!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I'm not and never claimed to be.
You're just damned smart.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
See the link in post #8 in this batty discussion.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372135

Best comparison of battys I've seen.
This guy is a ABYC certified marine electrician... knows his stuff and does some very comprehensive testing.
Thank you, reading that thread was very useful.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I think I better just get 2 new 6 volt batteries and keep the good one as a spare. Maybe in the future I will add another 2, 6 volt batteries if I decide I need the extra power. My boondocking is kinda minimal right now, I usually have a hookup. My fridge is an absorption and runs on propane.

Okay, I've got another question. I have disconnected all my batteries right now while I'm looking for replacements which are hard to find in my town. While they are disconnected is it okay to plug in the RV into my 20 amp house power outlet without damaging any equipment? I like to run my fridge on electric and have power in there even without the batteries hooked up. Is it okay to have the converter running without batteries hooked up to it?

Also, is there any way to minimize the amount of carbon build up on my battery terminals? Any products you can spray on or otherwise apply to keep the carbon from building up so fast? I usually use baking soda and vinegar every 2 weeks to clean them off. I'm in a warm climate in Southern CA and after 10 days it's caked on.

Thanks again!

Tags
advice, battery