Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think they overfilled it. . .

I had my propane tank filled at a Flying J in Arkansas yesterday. I though I was smelling propane so I went to look at the tank and noticed the gauge was a bit high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1873.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	157667  
Matt A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #2

Propane storage tanks of any sort are only supposed to be filled to 80% capacity. It looks like they stuffed yours full. I WOULD NOT run any appliances, as you may get liquid propane trying to go through your regulator and on to the appliance. That would result in an adrelanine charge event.
I would take it to a propane dealer and ask them to drain it down for you. I have no idea how that is done, but they should be able to do something.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #3

I had this done on my Tiffin. I had to replace my regulator,
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #4

There is a small bleader valve on the tank next to the fill port.

Open it a bit and see what comes out.

If its just gas, the gauge could be wrong.

If a cloud like, vapor stream, comes out, your overfilled and need to get it taken care of.

The overfill protection valve will need to be changed.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:11 PM   #5

My bleed valve is next to the fill, If it were me I would turn off everything and bleed some gas out.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
me, i would just use it. The pressure coming out of the regulator is less then 1 psi.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The internal fill shut off will stop the filling at 80%.........I have never heard of one failing.......my guess is a bad gauge........also do what twinboat suggested above, that procedure will tell the story.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The internal fill shut off will stop the filling at 80%.........I have never heard of one failing.......my guess is a bad gauge........also do what twinboat suggested above, that procedure will tell the story.
In theory perhaps, but they do fail open which is why the refiller is supposed to open the bleeder valve as well for a backup indicator.

If the tank is hydraulically full of liquid it is a dangerous situation because a slight increase in temperature will cause very high pressures and assuming there is a safety relief valve, a release of a large quantity of vapour when it blows
Old 04-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #9

Get a magnet and move it around the gauge. They sometimes stick and the magnet frees it up.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #10

Well,
If this happened to me, I'd try a few things.

1. Isn't there some sort of "strip" that can be attached to the outside of a propane tank that indicates a level? I have no idea if they're accurate or what?

2. In the past, I've boiled water and poured it on a propane tank from the top and let it run down the side. When all the boiled water has been poured on it for a minute or so, I then run the back of one of my fingers up against the side where the water ran down. My finger was relatively warm 'till I hit the level the propane was at, then my finger got instantly HOT!

3. Yes, next to the fill port is a bleeder, as has been stated, if you crack it open and, only GAS comes out, NO LIQUID, then you're most likely experiencing a bad gauge.

4. It's pretty rare that a filling person is that ''inattentive" that they create such a potential catastrophe. They are normally schooled and certified in the process of re-filling propane systems. But, that's not to say you found one that's an air head and, just wasn't paying attention to his or her duties. I'd definitely do some investigating though. Good luck and please report back on what you find.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I fill tanks.
the fill port, (the big one with the yellow cap on it) will let you fill them all the way up. tanks that are built in or have the quick fill caps on.
If you think that the tank is filled up all the way, and you dump hot water on your tank. you will be cleaning your shorts out, that pop off valve will for sure pop off and they will scare you.
At the shop we will bleed off propane with the little bleed off valve. Yes liquid will come out in a cloud and when the tank gets to 80% then vapor will come out. That is full on any tank.
We don't change out pop off valves just because they pop off. only if they keep popping off. and we know the tank is not over filled or does not have air in it. only propane vapor and liquid.
PLEASE, if you smell propane, DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING ON. we only do it on windy days at the shop.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Here is what I would do (assuming I couldn't go back to the LP shop and hold them responsible for damages and repair):

Shut off all LP appliances. Chase away neighbors with dangling cigarettes or anything that could cause a spark. Use the little bleed valve as others have described, preferably on a breezy days to help dissipate the LP fumes.

You can probably safely use the LP system once it gets down to 90% as long as it's not broiling hot outside, but 80% is the all-around safe level. Using your water heater on LP for a few days is one good way to get the tank level further down.

If none of the LP appliances will operate after this procedure, you probably got some liquid LP in the regulator. Replacing it is the straight-forward fix for that. Trying to clean them out is rarely worth the effort.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
me, i would just use it. The pressure coming out of the regulator is less then 1 psi.
Following this advice may result in an Earth-shattering ka-boom.

If liquid propane is at or above the regulator fitting on the tank then liquid propane will be in the regulator. These regulators are designed to reduce the pressure of propane gas, not liquid propane.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I opened the bleed and just propane gas, no white clouds/liquid at all. I guess it's just a dead gauge. I don't think my tank has an OPD because it was made in 1995. It has a 5 pronged knob on the tank and doesn't say OPD anywhere.

Some more backstory. The girl filling the tank was a trainee, and told me it was her first time ever filling a MH. She was guided by a more 'experienced' lady. It was night and they didn't have enough area lights to see into the propane compartment, I brought out a flashlight after they had some trouble attaching the fill hose + adapter. The more experienced lady was barking orders. At the end of the fill they closed the bleed valve and then shut off the propane flow (maybe 15-30 seconds in between).

Tags
led