Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

I took a chance and painted RV myself with a roller

So after months of research about this "rolling and tipping" method of painting my Class A motorhome, I finally decided to tackle it.

It is a Phoenix Arizona RV, so over the years the sun has just absolutely killed it. It got yellowed, the decals all cracked, and not even a heatgun or 3M decal eraser wheel would remove it...only varnish stripper and razor blades not held like you're cutting under the decal, but the blade perpendicular to the surface and dragged back and forth to shave it off.. Varnish stripper can't sit too long or it'll eat into the fiberglass so it was an art. In other states I can see people peeling off their decals in one huge sheet....ya I wish.

There were a couple of products, Awlgrip, Interlux Perfection, and a couple others you can use for this method. They are 2 part polyurethanes so I chose that for durability and the "do it yourself" ease of use that they claim. They use it to paint boats and yachts so figure it durable.
I was worried that it would looked rolled on and just ...well..... "ghetto" lol

But as a total amateur, I figured screw it, it can't look any worse than it is. Also, I had 5 body shops quote me for about $10k to $12k. I asked "what if I do the sanding and masking?" They still said $7,000. The way Interlux works is that it is 425 square feet coverage per gallon for their primer and their paint. So figure 35 foot RV, 10 foot tall, plus front and back, blah blah...let's just say 900 square feet. Well, it has to be done in 2 coats of primer, and 2 coats of paint. So at 1,800 square feet worth of paint, You're painting the vehicle four times.....and sanding in between each coat. Ya, massive undertaking I know. I used 2 gallons of primer to do the 2 primer coats, and 2 gallons of color coat to do 2 coats. (Interlux color coat comes in quarts so gotta buy four quarts for every gallon so I bought 12 quarts at $75 each).

Here's how it played out with 2 of us doing it:

- 2 full weekends of 5 hours a day to remove decals = 20 hours
- 1 full weekend of 4 hours a day sanding to prep for primer = 8 hours
- 1 full weekend of 10 or 11 hours a day to add primer coat 1, sand, then cure overnight, then primer coat 2, sand for final coat = 22 hours
- 1 full weekend of 10 or 11 hours a day to paint color coat 1, sand, then color coat 2, = 22 hours

Doing this above alone? Double those hours to 160 for sure.

Half the time was cutting around the windows (which leaves brush marks if you just leave it like that, but after you brush your cut-in edge, immediately follow up as close as you can with a roller to remove those brush marks). The other half is rolling the paint out vertically, and the 2nd person following up with a brush to "tip" the vertical roller marks and bubbles out horizontally, and that triggers the paint to flatten and level out like magic.

So a good 80 hours in....or 2 weeks worth of my wife and I showing up at our respective jobs to work the same amount. Well, we don't make $10k to $12k worth in 80 hours at work so you get the budget idea here.

As long as you only paint from 60 to 80 degrees out, use a paint measuring cup to mix the 2:1 ratio exactly, and start early in the morning the rest is just up to whatever stamina you may have.

First pic: How it came from factory before stupid Arizona killed it
Second pic: I don't have a shot of it being yellow and cracked, so the pic jumps right to the point after we had sanded it all down
Third pic: 2 primer coats applied
Fourth pic: halfway down with the first coat of color applied
Fifth pic and rest of pics: After 2 coats of final color coat. At 2 or 3 feet looking down the side, some of those slight vertical marks if you look really closely are just the panels themselves being 20 years old, others are slight roller marks.

I must say it was well worth it.. Time will tell to see how it holds up. I'm moving to the Pacific Northwest so it won't have a Phoenix rate of degrading of the finish to report back on, but years out maybe I'll post one. I'm 44 and I can barely move after this project, but it looks like it has been sprayed on.

I can answer any questions anyone may have...for examples yes there were drips (sanded out after first coat, and learning from those mistakes for the second coat), there were parts that had orange peel, (but that all came down to me mixing the paint at 9am, it having a 2 hour pot life, and at 10:45am the paint getting thicker/tackier. But on the second coat of paint, learning from that first coat's mistakes and adding thinner as needed to maintain consistency) but overall just taking your time.

We can add decals or whatever later, but as for now I wanted it to be presentable, and I wanted to paint it in a state that doesn't really have humidity. Because of this your thinning and approach may be different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	643
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	191486   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	649
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	191487  

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	781
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	191488   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	950
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	191489  

nehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good job! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #3

Rest of pics as well as the before and after of our interior redone as well. Never was a fan of the light oak even though it can make a coach appear larger. Also, the before is sunny with all windows open and my after is with all windows closed, but you get the basic idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	783
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	191490   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	565
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	191491  

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	191492   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	191493  

Old 02-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Good job. I would have thrown in the towel at hour 5.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #5

Great job. I helped a friend roll a MCI bus with Awlgrip. We rolled it on and tipped it off with good quality brush. You had to get real close to tell it wasn't sprayed.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Nice job. Well worth all the time and energy that was put into it. How much was the total bill for everything?
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you plan on moving to the PNW I hope you added moss killer to your paint.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bro, you are a Boss!
Thanks for the details and pics. I've known for several years that the roll & tip is how I want to paint my old ghetto coach. Maybe this is the year I'll "get er done".
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Very, Very nice.... I painted mine last fall. I kind of wish I would have investigated your procedure... It may have cut down on a lot of expense and time.

These are nice options that don't break the bank.. Its hard to justify a 5-10k paint job on a MH that cost 5-10k.

I sprayed mine last fall with Urythane. total cost was just at $1k and about 100 hours labor over a couple months.

New paint for the ole Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #10

Nice job! I'll be looking for moral support if I decide to bite the bullet next summer to repaint my '92 Pace Arrow. Thanks for the inspiration!
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDK View Post
Nice job. Well worth all the time and energy that was put into it. How much was the total bill for everything?
Total all in, $16 4 inch brushes to top it off, several of them, maybe 8....mixing cups, tarps, thinner, paint, sandpaper, etc.

$1500
Old 02-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Very, Very nice.... I painted mine last fall. I kind of wish I would have investigated your procedure... It may have cut down on a lot of expense and time.

These are nice options that don't break the bank.. Its hard to justify a 5-10k paint job on a MH that cost 5-10k.

I sprayed mine last fall with Urythane. total cost was just at $1k and about 100 hours labor over a couple months.

New paint for the ole Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

I like your article! Very thorough and detailed. So that way I can just refer to you and say "what he said". Looks good!

I could have sprayed this, but:

1) don't have the equipment
2) don't know someone with the equipment
3) it requires not just the 3M mask with organic filter and particle filter (the pink one that is dual purpose filtration), but it required a full body suit, face mask and a fresh oxygen system due to the isocyanates in it.

Roll and tip it was lol
Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindan n Jim View Post
Nice job! I'll be looking for moral support if I decide to bite the bullet next summer to repaint my '92 Pace Arrow. Thanks for the inspiration!
No problem, I'll be around.

If you can recruit more people it'll go faster. Nothing like getting up at 5am, wiping it down, and by the time the whole coach has one coat, it's 6pm and you can hardly walk lol
Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Good job. I would have thrown in the towel at hour 5.
Haha! I almost did, as we did this outside believe it or not, in the dusty desert, and not many dust nibs showed up on the paint surprisingly. It's never breezy here, but of course that day we have 10 mph winds.

Tags
paint