Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #1

I was locked out DW was locked in!

Went out to reconnect water lines in the morning after freezing weather and found out I could not get back in the MH and the DW could not get out . I had to climb through the window to get inside which made the DW laugh I don't understand that part. I spent the next 30 minutes trying to open the door from the inside. First I removed the inside plate from the old TriMark handle by removing 3 screws, but the screen door had it blocked from being removed. I ended up just ripping the plate off and scratched the finish on the screen. I thought I could push the latch open but that didn't work, I found the striker bolt had broke, it had a thin strip on it that snapped off the bolt and there was no way to pry it open. Next step I removed the screed door trim and got access to see the bolt I figured I could slip my pocket knife in and push the bolt back (the old credit card trick), that didn't work it had a double striker plate on the door jam. I had to get a metal rod and bend the end so I could push the bolt back past both striker plates and presto the door opened. Went and picked up a new TriMark door handle lock set $ 125 got back and installed the handle in the door. I could not get the old striker plate out of door jam to install the new one, there was not enough clearance to pull it out and I didn't want to make the opening in the jam bigger. Went to close the door and found the new lock set has 2 alignment bolts on the outside of door edge that were a bigger diameter than the old ones and they would not let the door close. Got out the Dremel and installed a small grinding wheel and ground open up both notches in the old striker plate. Finally got the door to close .
The MH is a 2008 and the door latch was the square style TriMark the new latch is also a TriMark and has rounded profile on the inside and outside and it looks to be much more robust. If this would have happened on the road while we were inside we would have been trapped and could not have gotten out. I tell you this so if you want you could change before it may happen to you It would be much easier to change at your convenience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got locked out once. Crawled through the windows. Once inside the door unlocked just fine. Found out I was using the wrong key
Old 11-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
I got locked out once. Crawled through the windows. Once inside the door unlocked just fine. Found out I was using the wrong key

We sometimes do some dumb things, don't we! At least you admitted it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #4

I was locked out DW was locked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post

That makes two of us. I almost decided to take a pry bar to open it instead of climbing through the window. Glad I didn't. That was just two weeks ago.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We sometimes do some dumb things, don't we! At least you admitted it!
I once told my wife one of your "Then the Fight Began" jokes, and I got locked out of the coach, and she was locked in! Hmmmmm, maybe the lock was working just as it was supposed to. . . . .

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have not already replaced the latch, take the bolt to a metal smith and have him carve you one out of STEEL, works much better than that (Term Censored by poster) Tri-mark used.

Oh, I picked mine open with a seal pick when that happened, Much easier than breaking it.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #7

This is also being discussed here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mona...ut-226310.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:32 AM   #8

Sounds like an "I Love Lucy" episode.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
It happened to me also.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/locked-inside-80777.html
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote