Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2021, 10:45 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Still working. Stored in winter thanks to salt on the roads. 5 separate 10 day long and 4 weekend trips last year. 58 days in 2020. Plans for the same this year.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2021, 11:33 AM   #30

To the OP. You are far from alone in feeling the way you do. Over the years, we have met countless others during the working years and even an odd retired few, that hearing of our travels, enjoyment of the RV life wanted one of their own. Alas, they maybe used it two or three times the first year, once the second and then let it sit either in storage or their back yards for many years. They cited not selling it saying they'd lost so much and they "might" get back into it one day.

When we ask "why" they don't use it, the majority say it's too much effort to get ready after working all week. Right from the getgo we set ours up with dollar store and walmart items to ensure it functioned as best as possible. Made a list of every item we used in the house on a daily basis (think things like corkscrew and peeler occasionally!), when we first started out camping made a note of what we were missing and got that returning back to town. We also left a good mixture of clothes for all weathers in it, so a full tank of water, check fluids and overall rig condition, tires, food and having quick laundry of what was inside prior, we could head off. We also and still do use some of those collapsible flat pack baskets, that a few days/week prior to a planned trip, we place in the front hallway and add items to as and when. Some use a check list as we did in the early years.

We caution everyone that mentions owning an RV, especially the bigger more expensive rigs, to really digest how you'll use it at the current stage in your life, and only "invest" the monies you really need to at the front end until you get a feel. For sure OP, you are absolutely far from alone in not utilising your rig as much as you'd hope - standby for a large percentage of the COVID purchases to come to market in the next 3 years!

In the early years we did a lot of local camping (State/Provinical Parks were a lot more affordable back then), even in the Rockies in winter for odd skiing, just sitting in the snow with a hot tub type weekends and always a 10 day trip to Vegas every Easter picking the kids up in the RV straight from school and driving as road warriors for too many miles in one scoop. We'd also typically do another 2 or 3 week trip in the summer.

As the kids got older and we managed to grab more away time from our businesses and with the advent of better technology to be able to work a bit on the road, we started extended trips, upgraded from our 5er to a MH (too early in reality of use at the beginning!). Since we started in the late 90's, YES we have gone a couple of years without using it admittedly (built a house in Fla), but in recent years (semi-retired to almost totally), we have done more and more extended trips of 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and almost 5 months at a time. Some times 3 or 4 times a year. FWIW for the past 15 years we typically exclusively boondock/dry/disperse camp which has become our preferred choice.

For sure you haven't mentioned "why" you aren't using your rig. If it's just a question of "not enough time" or "can't be bothered" after working, make a concerted effort. If it's cost/availability of CGs then look for free camping. After a few times, it'll become second nature and you'll find easier and easier ways to get prepped and on the road quicker. We all know it's beautiful when we get out there on the open road, but just like a diet or exercise routine it takes some form of plan and commitment

Happy and safe travels to all.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:14 PM   #31

We use our rv more than ever since the china virus hysteria began. Generally no problems rving.
We used to do 2-4 trips by air all over the world every year. No more.
Unfortunately political hysteria will make things so unpleasant to do those type of vacations for at least all of 2021. Probably longer.
So see the usa in that rv! We do. And love it. 6-8 trips of varying lengths a year now.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVstorm View Post
My dream was to take it camping at least one weekend a month, mostly to the rivers and lakes around Middle Tennessee. I am so disappointed and feel like I just wasted a lot of money on a RV I'll barely use.
When I finally agreed to buy one I told my wife I didn't want to buy, licenses, and pay insurance on it if it just sat in the yard. We've had ours 4 years and I think we're averaging about 100 nights a year. That's mainly in parks within 100 miles from home, though we have made a couple of 6000-mile trips.

You don't have to go far to enjoy it. We're going tomorrow to spend four nights in a park about 20 miles from home here.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:20 PM   #33

We have barely used ours since this China Virus hit. I am retired, but the wife is not. She is a Professional, and if she is not there the business might as well shut down, because everything is running on her license or one of the other Professionals. So several people depend on one of them to be in the building for their livelihood.

Covid is a real threat because it would force the business to close for 2 weeks with each case. For those of you that called it an excuse, how would you feel about not being paid for two weeks through no fault of your own?

Looking to get away for maybe 6 trips this year, mostly 4 day trips. To compound things I also have a vacation home I can not get to as often as I would like. Not complaining just the way it is right now. Hopefully I will be able to get more time in sooner than later. Either way I will enjoy my life as it plays out.
crb478 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:21 PM   #34
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
We used out TT every other weekend for spring through fall. The fiver got used two weeks out of every month all year. We sold our house and now live in the bus full time. I work full time so we don't go farther than I can drive to work.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Prior to retirement for many years we used at least once a month for a weekend, plus a couple three week long vacations a year. Now retired, we travel about six months a year, one to three months at a time.

If you are not getting out with it for other than COVID reasons, suggest you connect up with a local camping group. Good Sam and FMCA have groups based on similar interests. RV manufacturers have groups with same/similar RV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:23 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Why have you not used it? Extended illness? Working 24/7/365? If not, then you probably did waste a lot of money, since you'd rather do lots of other stuff, rather than use the RV.

This is the reason I feel there will be a glut of very lightly used RV's hitting the market once we settle down from the pandemic. I think many, many people panic bought an RV thinking it was a way to beat the pandemic only to realize after the purchase, they really don't want to deal with RVing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVstorm View Post
My dream was to take it camping at least one weekend a month, mostly to the rivers and lakes around Middle Tennessee. I am so disappointed and feel like I just wasted a lot of money on a RV I'll barely use.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:36 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2020 NONE, except for the 50 mile trip to get the cobwebs out of the motor. Most years, Pre-Pandemic, starting in about May, every other weekend until about September.
Also when every I can enough vacation time and cash to do a cross country excursion, maybe every 5 - 7 years.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:45 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
RVing can be a life style, a dream, a reality or a casual gig..

Things change, life changes and it is still about choices...

I have been casual RVing of sorts since the 70 as a youngin with my parents, traveled parks a it, did the seasonal for 10+ years.. took a break..... got married had a son, bam... 9 months old in a tent at a state park.. next year a small restored TT.. then a larger TT at a seasonal park. Dad even came back to the gig with a RV..
another 10 years and bought land , parked TT on it.. sold, built small get away home..

Still traveled , overnites in hi top van..
then Got a small MH.. 6-10K a year in 300-400 mile trips, weekends and few weeks... lasted 8+ years,,
Updated RV/MH.. used it maybe 25 times since summer of 2019... Miss Minnie sits on side of garage and ready...
2020 was a choice to stay safe, health puts me at risk,, and I have a business to manage that was going well.. etc,
got the country house free of a honey do list and I am happy.. went out for 2 -5 day weekends also..
2021 will see a few trips .. we have planned..

No regrets but selling the RV crossed my mind..it is perfect, needs nothing. good time to sell....
BUT it looks nice and I hang in a few hours now and then with the Onan getting excercise etc....
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:47 AM   #39

normal year 5-6 times , last year zero.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
normal year 5-6 times , last year zero.
Why zero last year? Rving is one of the safest things to do.

We carry on as usual. Wife will wear a mask sometimes. I can count on 1 finger how many times i wore a mask.
Keep hands from your face and wash/sanitize hands only. No china virus here.
Dont worry so much, be happy.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:51 AM   #41

Here's how I see it for many...

The thought of getting one exceeds the actual thought of....

How often will we use it?

I see a dim future for many who bought during this COVID event. On the other hand it will open the door for some fantastic 'never before seen' deals for those who held off.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:10 AM   #42

We use our's about 5-6 times a year for race weekends. A couple of those weekends a year I'll take a couple extra days off work and we will hit a campground for a day or two on the way home from the racetrack. Then maybe we do one or two trips besides the racetrack weekends.
Sv Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper