Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Ignition problem-stranded in Canada

I have stopped in Regina SK with an intermittant problem with engine
shutdown and Key/ignition failure sometimes when trying to start. Last week
in Calgary the engine stopped as I exited from Hwy, but restarted back
quickly. Yesterday, it did the same thing here and restarted, but now when I
turn the key on it might not light up and allow me to start. Two or three
trys and it connects and starts good, but I am afraid to get out of here
with this going on. I thought the chassis batt switch (rear bay) might be
bad,so I cut it off and on, which sometimes seems to make the ignition
connect, but I am getting a batt reading on both sides of the switch when it
is on and when off, no current flow, so that ruled out. Is there a ignition
solenoid somewhere that might be going bad, which powers up the circuit when
the ignition is turned on? If I can find that and replace myself, I am
likely to avoid a lot of grief waiting on the shop to do so. I do have an
appt in a couple of days with a Freightliner shop, but would like to do
myself and head on. If not likely solenoid, does this sound like the dash
ignition going bad? I tend to think a solenoid. Need some advise on where to
locate and do parts stores handle?
David White '05 Monaco Windsor
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Echo3
If you have a wad or an unusual amount of keys on a key fob in the ignition switch it is a good bet the switch is worn out and needs to be replaced.
I have one key in the switch with a small plastic I.D tag attached. Ask me how I know how this happens? Two times in different vehicles over the years.
lyledavid
lyledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Disconnect your chassis battery through the disconnect switch. Learn (verify) everything that does not work.

The next time it happens, see if it is just the ignition that does not work or is it everything on the chassis battery that does not work.

If it is just the ignition that did not work ,you have narrowed it down to an ignition problem not a chassis battery system problem.

Does that make sense?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also, search the "Monaco Owners Forum" section. This problem may have already been discussed.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #5

Ignition Problem

At first, I did think the battery switch might be the problem, but found it to be ok and also found that other things work on the chassis batteries, except the iginition side. Could be the ignition switch or solenoid. I did get it into the shop today to trace out and it quit 3 times on the short trip, 2 km, but restarted up easily... one time I had to turn the key on and off a couple of times to re-energize the ignition. Found that the stalls primarily happen when I come to a stop or idle as if the drop in alternator voltage sets this off. I never had the problem running a hwy speed. I could keep my foot on the accel and other on brake to keep rpm up slightly and that seemed to stop the shutdown. David White
Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

Ignition Problem

Update. Tech pulled fuses and chece wires engine codes (none). He then drove for more than 30 mins stop and go and never had a failure. He had no answer, but guess it must have been a bad contact on a fuse or wire, but have driven all afternoon and no problems. Hope it is solves, but think I will pull and clean all fuses now, which is something someone suggested on another post. A poor contact could cause intermittant failure, I guess. David White
Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your cleaning fuses, I would also clean your ignition switch connector(s). Trace the wires coming off the Key switch.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #8

ignition relay or celenoid

Found your site while doing some research on a problem with our 2007 Fourwinds Hurricane class A. We noticed last week on our way to gas up that the chassis battery disconnect switch tripped when we shut down. We reengaged it and went on our way. On our way home we noticed the backup camera monitor kinda flickering & the abs light going on and off, the auto leveler lights also started flashing. It seemed to momentarily loose power while driving but automatically refired when we reved the rpm's. We made it home, put it in park & everything went off as the chassis battery disconnect switch tripped and killed the chassis power. It will not reset now and we can't start the engine with the switch tripped. Auxillary start won't work either. We have checked the chassis battery (13.4), checked the ground (all good), checked volts at the switch itself (13.4). We are thinking it might be an ignition relay switch in the (RV Custom Products) battery circuit fuse board in the engine compartment, or the celenoid behind the circuit fuse board. Anyone know anything about this? Appreciate any & all advice we can get.
cj.mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Stranded in Regina...............Cool. That's where I live, it's not sooooo bad.
I'm sure Village RV is a Monaco dealer in Regina. Not sure if that's where you went.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #10

Ignition Problem

Final on my problem! After the truck shop found nothing in Regina, I traveled nearly 1600 miles and the problem hit hard and all went off and I could not restart. I had to be towed to TAG Truck Repair in Memphis and they found a bad ignition relay... replaced and I'm back going... a $9 relay. By the way, to the resident of Regina, Village RV said "no thanks" to checking out my problem, which is why I went to a truck/chassis shop. Thanks, David White
Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo3 View Post
Final on my problem! After the truck shop found nothing in Regina, I traveled nearly 1600 miles and the problem hit hard and all went off and I could not restart. I had to be towed to TAG Truck Repair in Memphis and they found a bad ignition relay... replaced and I'm back going... a $9 relay. By the way, to the resident of Regina, Village RV said "no thanks" to checking out my problem, which is why I went to a truck/chassis shop. Thanks, David White
Yeah that sounds just like Village RV.......Not really good customer support. It's like anything I want to buy for my motorhome up here no one has it. They say we can order it. I say well good for you.........I can get it from down South myself, so thanks anyway.
Any way good to hear you finally got it figured out and fixed. Happy motoring.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote