Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #141

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
.....Once I got stopped, I looked at my wife and 2 year old son in his car seat. I thought about what had just happened, and what could have happened.......I have to believe that a monitoring system would have had to have given me ample warning that we were having a problem long before it got to the point of a blowout. What probably should have been all along, is finally a no brainer for me, mine is on its way.

If you've been considering it, I would urge you to once again give it some serious consideration. Now they are expensive, and not nearly as exciting as a new flat screen TV, but just think of what it could save in the long run if you get it before something happens. I wish I had.

These should be "Standard Issue" for ALL RV's and TOADS!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #142

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dmiles--

I followed your saga on the brake hose failure and blow out last week. I wish I could have helped you out but I am up in Maine now.

I too had a blowout on a inner rear dual on my trip to Maine in May. I was on I-95N near the NC/VA border and had just exited a second construction zone, accelerating, when she blew out--- and it did sound like a shotgun! I have eleven TST sensors on my vehicles (one on the mounted spare), and I had no warning of anything abnormal. The system immediately displayed which tire had blown and I eased off the interstate on a nearby exit which just happened to have a truck stop on it. The emergency service guy that was sent to me by Camping World said, when he got the blown wheel off the motor home, that I had hit a piece of debris in the road.

Here are pictures of the blown tire taken at the Michelin dealer just north of Richmond -- as I purchased four new tires to continued my trip.

We are very pleased that your mishap turned out fine in the long run .
I know you will enjoy the peace of mind that this technology provides as we travel over this great country of ours .

Good luck and safe travels to all,
Old 09-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #143

One thing to note is that you can use your hydrolic leveling jacks to get the tire changed. Much quicker than a regular jack. There are some common sense safety items to remember also. I saw you had a Newmar. We went through their factory several weeks ago and I must say, I was extremely impressed with their quality and workers.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #144

You can easily defeat the anti-theft feature. I had to do that on my front wheels as there was no way to get the tool on.

If you look at the base of the plastic cover on the edge where the dome part and the base meet, you will see a seam. If you carefully pry with a sharp object like a knife, the cap will separate. I applied RTV and reassembled. No more spinning caps.

Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
It would be a good idea to offer the sensors WITHOUT the anti-theft feature (so you don't need the tool)

I'm not so worried about someone taking one as I am in how difficult they are to install, manitain, and remove on duals!

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #145

National RV Owners Club
DMILES
Whe did you order the system from. I've been torn for months about getting a 10 wheel system but you guys have just about sold me on one.
Any inputs on the best priced system? They do cost a pretty penny.
Dick
Old 09-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #146

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
DMILES
Whe did you order the system from. I've been torn for months about getting a 10 wheel system but you guys have just about sold me on one.
Any inputs on the best priced system? They do cost a pretty penny.
Dick
Check this one out, BTW, they are a sponser on this web site too.

Truck System Technologies, Inc

I doubt you will find a better deal for the money
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #147

National RV Owners Club
Thanks!! Just need to go before the CFO now

Dick
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #148

SgtJoe, I can highly recommend TST also!! They took care of issues I had even though I had purchased from their defunct predecessor. This system saved us on our last trip. I hit a really rough railroad crossing. The next morning, my system alarmed and showed a low tire. It looked fine, but the terrible bump had loosened an extension on the valve. I would have driven away and ruined a brand new tire and who knows what else. call Dan today and order yours, you will be glad you did. Harvey

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:14 AM   #149

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Theberrys...

I ordered mine from the web site that sjtjoe posted the link to. They emailed me a tracking number within 2 hours of my order. Actually I have the system installed, and it's working fine.

After what we went through over the Labor Day weekend, my CFO insisted on getting a monitoring system. They really should come standard on every new motorhome in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #150

Winnebago Owners Club
Eddie Foy:

On your suggestion to modify the sensor so it does not spin, have you had any feedback from TST about this mod? Will it impact the exchange in the future or the warranty if the sensor should fail? I am having difficulty installing the sensors on the inner duals without loosing significant air.

Thanks
David
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #151

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda2405 View Post

I am having difficulty installing the sensors on the inner duals without loosing significant air.Thanks David
Don't know if this will help with your particular situtation, but you should have received two installation tools. What I did was cut one of the plastic handles approximately half way down. I then moved my rig so I could easily get to the valve stem that was pointing inwards (actually the outer dual). By using the "shorten" install tool it was pretty easy to get the sensor attached.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #152

Winnebago Owners Club
Talked to Don at TST and his recommendation was to glue the plastic covering on the stem side of the sensor to the metal where the wrench fits to make the plastic housing solid with the metal threaded part that screws on the valve stem. Since I have enough space to install the sensor with my hand, just no way to tighten fast enough to not loose excessive amount of tire pressure. I told him I was not concerned with the theft deterrent aspect of the sensor, especially on the inner dual.
He said he had recommended this to others for the inner dual and to use gorilla glue. He has had reported success from several customers. Plan on trying this later this week,
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #153

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Went to add some air to one of the tires that was 4 lb low....

took off the sensor, and the sealing ring inside the sensor stuck to the valvestem....so I screwed it back on and it did not transmit any data.....had to replace it so we could get on the road...I could have just put on a cap, but I feel so good knowing that I can monitor my tires.

BTW the sensors are only sold in 2 packs..so I now have a spare...

I am going to send the "dead" sensor back to TST and see how good the warranty service is, I'll report back when I find out.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #154

Didn't ask them. Can't see why it would affect the warranty. It is just a plastic cap.

I didn't want an extension. That would make the sensor stick out too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda2405 View Post
Eddie Foy:

On your suggestion to modify the sensor so it does not spin, have you had any feedback from TST about this mod? Will it impact the exchange in the future or the warranty if the sensor should fail? I am having difficulty installing the sensors on the inner duals without loosing significant air.

Thanks
David

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote