Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Installing an IKEA Couch in Our RV

Our motorhome came with a jackknife loveseat that wasn't very functional and of a style neither of us really cared for, so recently we set out on a quest to find a comfortable replacement piece of furniture that was also reasonably priced.

The solution: IKEA -- of course. Why IKEA? Two reasons:

First, almost all the furniture they sell comes disassembled. That, in turn, solves the big problem of getting a large piece of furniture through a narrow RV door without damaging either.

Second, IKEA offers good quality at surprisingly reasonable prices.

This is the space we had to work with:

The width is 72", and yes, it's on a slide platform.

IKEA has several different lines of sofas and loveseats that might be suitable for use in an RV. The line we chose is called EXTORP. Besides coming disassembled, this line on furniture features slipcovers in a variety of fabrics, colors, and price ranges. (The slipcovers are removable, washable, and replaceable if and when you decide to change colors down the road.)

After unpacking the couch components, designing a workable wood riser to mount it on turned out to be a relatively easy project. Normally the sofa we chose would sit on 6" legs to achieve a standard seat height of around 18" off the floor. As our slide platform was 2.5" tall, a riser constructed of 2x4 dimensional lumber turned out to be perfectly suited for the job (2.5" + 3.5" = 6" above the RV floor yielding a seat height of 18").

Based upon the construction of the sofa, this is the wood riser we designed and installed:

The riser, which is glued and screwed, is the exact dimensions of the couch base: 32" x 60". We centered the riser on the slide platform spaced 3" from the slide wall to give adequate clearance for the protruding window frame. Note that the riser is actually cantilevered out over the RV floor; that's okay, as long as the riser is well-secured to the slide platform.

After test-fitting the couch base, we used reinforcing corner brackets from Home Depot that also serve as floor mounts in the rear:

We also employed several 3" L-brackets to further anchor the riser:

It's not Gibraltar, but the riser is down rock solid as shown.

How to fit the couch base to the riser? To help answer that question, note the rear corner details in the pictures below:

The 3" x 9" wall spacers along with 9" inner verticals combine to form locking slots that the couch base sets firmly down into. Both pieces were beveled slightly to ease fitting the couch frame in place (it's tight).

As you may have already deduced, we decided to use gravity to keep our new couch snugly in position.

Here you can see a final test fit of the couch base, which was easy for two people to lift off and on:

(One cool thing about EXTORP furniture is that the backs hinge up and down to lay flat for shipping and handling in tight spaces.)

Next, we pulled the couch base off and finished assembling it, which consisted of simply bolting the end arms to the base.

Here you can see the couch sans slipcovers set firmly in place on the riser, with arms, seat and back cushions:

Even in this uncovered state, our new couch easily passed the acid test: it's a comfortable place to park your travel-weary bones, and it's not going anywhere.

Finally, the DW spent about 10 minutes installing the slipcovers, tossed in a couple throw pillows, and this is the end result:

Total investment? Less than $20 in lumber/hardware and $305 for the couch and slipcovers (on sale).

If you don't have an IKEA located near you, online shopping is always an option. Also, they offer a free discount program called 'IKEA Family', which can save you even more money on sale items just by registering.

We're happy with it.

Next?
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks so much better than what we have, you might have started a whole new trend.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #3

nicely done but what is the weight difference between the old and new couches?
Old 06-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Weight is about the same.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #5

Very nice and SUPER affordable. We're taking out our jacknife & putting in one swivel wall hugger recliner with the option to add the 2nd recliner at a future date, if needed.
We wanted to be able to swivel to face the TV that's in the front. Your solution is a very viable option sans the swivel part. I like it and well done!!
Old 06-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Fantastic job! Looks great!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Fantastic job! Looks great!
Coincidentally, we have the identical MH/TOAD configuration as you folks, except our Monaco is a Regent.

Go figure!
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good looking job and workmanship
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Really turned out well! Looks like it came that way.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Nice job. You did a great install. Congratulations.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspryan View Post
Our motorhome came with a jackknife loveseat that wasn't very functional and of a style neither of us really cared for, so recently we set out on a quest to find a comfortable replacement piece of furniture that was also reasonably priced.

The solution: IKEA -- of course. Why IKEA? Two reasons:

First, almost all the furniture they sell comes disassembled. That, in turn, solves the big problem of getting a large piece of furniture through a narrow RV door without damaging either.

Second, IKEA offers good quality at surprisingly reasonable prices.

This is the space we had to work with:

The width is 72", and yes, it's on a slide platform.

IKEA has several different lines of sofas and loveseats that might be suitable for use in an RV. The line we chose is called EXTORP. Besides coming disassembled, this line on furniture features slipcovers in a variety of fabrics, colors, and price ranges. (The slipcovers are removable, washable, and replaceable if and when you decide to change colors down the road.)

After unpacking the couch components, designing a workable wood riser to mount it on turned out to be a relatively easy project. Normally the sofa we chose would sit on 6" legs to achieve a standard seat height of around 18" off the floor. As our slide platform was 2.5" tall, a riser constructed of 2x4 dimensional lumber turned out to be perfectly suited for the job (2.5" + 3.5" = 6" above the RV floor yielding a seat height of 18").

Based upon the construction of the sofa, this is the wood riser we designed and installed:

The riser, which is glued and screwed, is the exact dimensions of the couch base: 32" x 60". We centered the riser on the slide platform spaced 3" from the slide wall to give adequate clearance for the protruding window frame. Note that the riser is actually cantilevered out over the RV floor; that's okay, as long as the riser is well-secured to the slide platform.

After test-fitting the couch base, we used reinforcing corner brackets from Home Depot that also serve as floor mounts in the rear:

We also employed several 3" L-brackets to further anchor the riser:

It's not Gibraltar, but the riser is down rock solid as shown.

How to fit the couch base to the riser? To help answer that question, note the rear corner details in the pictures below:

The 3" x 9" wall spacers along with 9" inner verticals combine to form locking slots that the couch base sets firmly down into. Both pieces were beveled slightly to ease fitting the couch frame in place (it's tight).

As you may have already deduced, we decided to use gravity to keep our new couch snugly in position.

Here you can see a final test fit of the couch base, which was easy for two people to lift off and on:

(One cool thing about EXTORP furniture is that the backs hinge up and down to lay flat for shipping and handling in tight spaces.)

Next, we pulled the couch base off and finished assembling it, which consisted of simply bolting the end arms to the base.

Here you can see the couch sans slipcovers set firmly in place on the riser, with arms, seat and back cushions:

Even in this uncovered state, our new couch easily passed the acid test: it's a comfortable place to park your travel-weary bones, and it's not going anywhere.

Finally, the DW spent about 10 minutes installing the slipcovers, tossed in a couple throw pillows, and this is the end result:

Total investment? Less than $20 in lumber/hardware and $305 for the couch and slipcovers (on sale).

If you don't have an IKEA located near you, online shopping is always an option. Also, they offer a free discount program called 'IKEA Family', which can save you even more money on sale items just by registering.

We're happy with it.

Next?

Dun gud! I'm looking to replace a very nice custom desk by Tiffin in my 2010 Phaeton with an IKEA chair and stationary exercise bike. Your detailed photos will be very helpful in designing mounts for both items but especially the bike. You do nice work (I'm a custom furniture builder and the little touches, like mitering corners, speaks to more detailed attention.). I look forward to seeing other projects you might tackle. Well done.

MrB1LL
President, Paul-Redinger Enterprises
Builders of custom furniture where "one of a kind" is our specialty
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1ll View Post
Dun gud! I'm looking to replace a very nice custom desk by Tiffin in my 2010 Phaeton with an IKEA chair and stationary exercise bike. Your detailed photos will be very helpful in designing mounts for both items but especially the bike. You do nice work (I'm a custom furniture builder and the little touches, like mitering corners, speaks to more detailed attention.). I look forward to seeing other projects you might tackle. Well done.

MrB1LL
President, Paul-Redinger Enterprises
Builders of custom furniture where "one of a kind" is our specialty

I said "mitered corners" but meant "beveled"
Old 06-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thomas, I'm constantly amazed at the talent IRV members display! I love your interlocking frame idea.

I'm getting ready to remove an OEM Monaco couch. It's "Double Ugly"!
I would like to install a corner desk and recliner.

Mrb1ll, what are you doing with your old desk?
Any one have ideas for a nice corner desk that would match the Monaco cherry wood?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #14

My old desk is going in my "new remodeled" office at home. The desk is beautiful and was a custom build by Tiffin. Send me (wpredinger@juno.com) dimensions, nr drawers, finish, power connections (built in power strips, homes for cabling, etc., as much detail as possible (rough sketches are great) as to what you want. I'll see if I can give you a price you can live with. I did some work on a Monaco with cherry wood but it was built-in storage bins, plate holders, cabinet dividers out of Melamine.

MrB1LL

Tags
install