Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2020, 11:05 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to flht95
Installing Onan Evap Generator

My 4.0k Onan Microquiet generator iin my 2004 Sunseeker died and I bought a new Onan to replace it. My model is no longer made. THe new replacement one is an Evap model designed for Towables. Besides the fuel input there is an EVAP line. this appears to require and evap system to be installed including new connections to the fuel tank. All the manuals refer to this unit to be designed to Trailers and Truck Campers. No mention of motorhomes. DO I need to install and evap system on my motorhome? Cant I just plug this line? I dont see any new ONAN gens that arent EVAP. THanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2020, 04:48 AM   #2

Who's gonna check it?........
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Onan sells both evap and non.. Evap are made for a rv with a specific / seperate fuel tank.. RV that use the vehicel tank are normally non evap..as here

If it came with the canister kit ,install canister and the purge line that would go to the tank vent/evap line, just make a loop and leave open.. you can get a filter cap if you want

Do not plug it, it vents the carb

I Would NOT try to tee the gen evap into the chassis vent as the factory system may sense a leak and toss a chk eng code..

What happened to your old one,, curious, mike lost spark, i got a unit from a local rv salvage..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #4

Sibe , A piece of plastic from the starter broke off (dont know why) and dropped down and cut a few winding making the generator portion useless (Cummins/Onan shop did all the trouble shooting) THey wanted $2000 to repair, which still left me with a 14 yrold motor and other stuff. I was tight on cash so they suggested a onan portable 4500 Watt for a grand. Use dit for a while but was a pain transporting and connecting and after tearing my rotator cuff workingout so i just got the 4k RV gen from Norwall. I JUST checked - neither Norwall NOR cummins site shows a non EVAP 4k model. I just noticed your note had a link to a non Evap model (same number as mine but 2 less letters. But as I stated neither Cummins nor norwall list that model - it redirects to the one I got.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Who's gonna check it?........

Don't know what you mean. I am only looking to see if and how I can use this gen that has an EVAP hookup. I have NO intentions of putting in a canister system. the unit didnt need it 17 years ago so it dont need it now.

So do you know if putting a breather on it as Sibe suggested will work or I can just leave this line plugged -suspect not. Sadly the manual makes NO reference as to how to install in a non evap coach yet cummins doesnmt make a non evap 4k
Old 03-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht95 View Post
Don't know what you mean. I am only looking to see if and how I can use this gen that has an EVAP hookup. I have NO intentions of putting in a canister system. the unit didnt need it 17 years ago so it dont need it now.

So do you know if putting a breather on it as Sibe suggested will work or I can just leave this line plugged -suspect not. Sadly the manual makes NO reference as to how to install in a non evap coach yet cummins doesnmt make a non evap 4k
I looked at the install for the Evap, connect fuel line and run the vent to the canister then canister to vent on tank,,
SO, hook up fuel line and the i would put a hose on the vent and just run it out of the way, do not plug it..

you should be good..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a motorhome, Leave the EVAP line plugged and move on. You donít need a canister or anything, just leave the extra port plugged. EVAP is for pulling the vapors off fuel tank. On motorized the drive engine does that, on towables you now need the generator to do that.

There is no other difference to an EVAP generator. Leave the port plugged and you have a non EVAP unit.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, install, onan