Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Can anyone tell me if they have installed those screw in snaps to the outside of their motorhome to snap on those outside sun shades? I know I have seen them on other RV's but when I asked the service department at local dealer they said no and suggest the magnetic shades. Don't see how that will help as the outside is fiberglass. Ours are held in place by velcro and it gets very dirty. Thanks for any help....Betty
gloriebkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Can anyone tell me if they have installed those screw in snaps to the outside of their motorhome to snap on those outside sun shades? I know I have seen them on other RV's but when I asked the service department at local dealer they said no and suggest the magnetic shades. Don't see how that will help as the outside is fiberglass. Ours are held in place by velcro and it gets very dirty. Thanks for any help....Betty
Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the snaps on my coach and they work great. The installer pop riveted them instead of using screws. He said the pop rivets hold better and they don't come loose like screws.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would NOT use pop rivits that come with the snaps. they will corrode with time.

I would go to West Marine or the likes, and buy #6 3/8" Pan Head Sheet Metal Screws (stainless steel.)

You should fit the whole cover using blue masking tape. Fairly tight, though not drum tight, as they shrink a little. Once it is fitting exactly how you want it, then you can mark where each snap goes. I did one at a time, with no trouble. Be careful that where you want to put a male snap is not on top of something you can't drill.

Drill the correct pilot hole. If you don't know the size, start a little small. If the pilot hole is too small, you will be able to get the screw in, but it will shatter the gel coat.

Once I got the screw in, I took it out, and put a very thin layer of clear silicone glue/sealant on it. Adds just a little bit of insurance on water seapage, and makes it easy (becasue it is slippery) to get very tight.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
I agree with blues method. I use construction adhesive (liquid nails) on the screws. This will insure they never come loose and it seals the snap to the fiberglass. I use a tooth pick or such to clean up what ever squeezes out from around the snap. Have used this method on 3 Motorhomes

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I did all the windows on my coach. Bill gave good instructions and the kit should also have instructions. Using the adhesive, of your choice, like Steve mentioned works very well. My snaps have been on the coach 2+ years without any problems.

I purchased the shades from MCD.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks, all. I have ordered the snaps. I felt like it was doable, but the guy at the RV place seemed to think I had lost my mind. I was checking to see if he had the screw in snaps. Again thanks...........Betty
Old 06-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
after you drill the pilot holes use a bigger bit n spotface the holes. this will stop the gellcoat from breaking out. if you have a calliper check the root diameter of the screw n use that size for pilot holes. get the twist locks. they work best. dave
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
I usually reem the drilled hole with a larger phillips head screw driver, that takes care of the gel coat. I hope Id hate to see ya push a little to hard and go through with that second drill

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #10

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Mine was installed with the #6 3/8 " pan head Sheet metal Screws (Stainless steel) . never had a problem and I leave it on when in storage or just in the driveway and always at the camp sites. I even had the entry door window made for the black sunscreen the outside snaps on the screens are all black.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mine were installed with aluminum pop rivets 5 years ago. I've never had a problem with them. They are still as tight as when first installed.

This is also the factory recommendation to install window awning brackets, just heavier duty aluminum pop rivets.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:03 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for the replies. I have ordered the snaps. Now hoping they will get here so we can put them on before heading for the big re enactment at Gettysburg. Have been told it will be very, very hot. If not will leave the velcro for just a little longer....Betty
Old 06-05-2008, 04:05 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I installed my shade this way... I used a dab of silicone sealer behind the snap. It seals and acts as a glue, but it is NOT impossible to remove if necessary. If I had it to do over I would get the "roll on" version of the shades. No snaps, no ladders etc.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:40 AM   #14
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
I installed my shade this way... I used a dab of silicone sealer behind the snap. It seals and acts as a glue, but it is NOT impossible to remove if necessary. If I had it to do over I would get the "roll on" version of the shades. No snaps, no ladders etc.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why the roll on versus the snap kind?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote