Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 05:24 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Installing small inverter for road use.

Having a generator is nice, but there are occasions that it doesn’t make sense to run it. i.e. When we're traveling down the road and need to plug in a cell phone or lap top to re-charge the battery.

While I had the truck torn apart doing other modifications, I decided to install a small inverter for those situations when I didn't want to crank up the generator. i.e. When we're traveling down the road and need to plug in a cell phone or lap top to re-charge the battery, or need to use the drill or whatever.

These small inverters are inexpensive and can supply 110 volts (unfiltered modified sine wave) to many small appliances and even tools like a drill or small compressor.

DESCRIPTION

The inverter is screwed down in the forward compartment where the old TV used to be.

The inverter is connected to the truck (chassis) battery through a relay and a 30 amp fuse. The relay is controlled by a switch on the instrument panel labeled “INVERTER”

I installed a color coded (gray) outlet in the front panel (see photo). This outlet is feed by a short cable that plugs into the inverter. The outlet is labeled “Inverter – 400 watts max”

NOTE - The first time you use a device/appliance with this, or any other unmodified sine wave inverter, keep an eye on it. Although the vast majority of items will run ok with a modified sine wave (laptop, cell phone chargers), here are two items that we've found that won't work. i.e. an electric tooth brush, a re-chargeable flashlight that plugs into the wall to re-charge.

You can read the entire article HERE:

http://www.2001mirada.com/installing...watt-inverter/
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Moderator, I Just found RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES - This might fit better there, sorry about that.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Recommendations
1: True sine wave inverter
2: Close to (but not in the same space) as the batteries
3: I use Red/Orange to indicate inverter power but any DIFFERENT color is good.. Red/Orange is kind of the standard for emergency power outlets.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
WA8YXM; Good suggestions and information for anyone thinking of installing an inverter.

The price of true sine wave is coming down but still hard to beat the price of the modified inverters (I think I paid $25 for this one)

Yes, the closer to the battery the better, This is mandatory with high power inverters. I installed a 2700 watt inverter in my old Toyota to run the microwave and a Mr Coffee, I used #00 cable and it was about 2 ft from the battery.

Defiantly want to use different color outlets to make it obvious they are different. and label them.

John
WD4LQM
Old 03-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good post. I use point of use inverters to avoid use of the large whole coach inverter or generator. MSW is fine for most needs. I like the Tripplite 150w and 375w units. They draw zero power when off and the 150w is quiet having no fan.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #6

14 years ago I hardwired a "Vector 400 watt MSW inverter" up into my overhead entertainment center cabinet, (using 10 ga wire).

When driving. (and when overnighting or camping with no shore power), I use that small inverter to power my my 24" LED TV, a DirecTV receiver and/or a DVD player, (as well as various charging devices).

BTW, my coach also has a built in 2000 watt inverter and a 63KW propane powered generator which I very seldom use.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, inverter