RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I bought a set of 3 strips that hook together and has an IR remote from Costco yesterday. I have two slides and the ideal location would be along the top of the slides or on the outer edge of the awnings. Still considering the location, even under the lower edge of the body would give a nice glow for sitting around outside.
I saw those as well. I wasn't sure if they would hold up for outdoor use, so I went with the Boogey lights and the 3 year warranty.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
A few tips:

Rather than gluing/attaching the LED strip to the side of the RV, I used this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I didn't use the supplied clips, but rather drilled through the aluminum channel and screwed directly to the RV. Yes, it introduced additional holes to seal up (with silicone) but resulted in a super clean installation.

I also drilled a hole (also through the housing) inside (under the lens) for the wiring; the result is a single, long, housing/lens with no visible wiring at all. Looks factory.

Finally, I recommend using 12vdc LED strips and wiring directly to the 12vdc system in your RV rather than an A/C outlet through a transformer. That way you can use them without hookups/generator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jeff View Post
I agree with 4x4van - connect directly to your 12vdc system instead of using the power adapter. So much easier!
I'd prefer to hook up 12V as well, but I think I have easier access to 120V AC plugs then 12V wiring.

4x4.....do you have any pictures of your finished job? Curious to see how the tracking looks and how you drilled into the lens- the lens I assume being the porch light above your door?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The housings that I linked are 2-piece; there is an aluminum channel, and then there is a plastic frosted lens that snaps into the channel. *I drilled holes about 8-10” from the end of each section of channel (each section is 1 meter long), countersunk the holes, and then screwed them onto the side of the RV (using a dab of silicone at each screw/hole). *I then added a final hole through the channel and through the RV walk to run the wiring (also sealed with silicone). *This way, there is no wiring visible on the outside of the RV.

After that, I simply fed the wiring through that final hole to the inside (it came through just behind the slide out pantry; more on that later), installed the LED strip in the channel, and snapped the frosted lens into place. *Caps on each end finished the outside installation.

https://ibb.co/ky3PPv

Inside, the wiring dropped down (behind the pantry) into the area under the fridge, which is where my converter is located, as well as the 12vdc circuit breakers. *There was a vacant spot on the panel, so I bought a 6A push button circuit breaker to match the others and used that for my feed point. Finally, I installed an on/off/dimmer switch in the wall right inside the door (also accessible under the fridge) near the stock porch light switch.

Everything looks factory with no exposed wiring, and the channel/lens blends in so that unless you are looking for it, you don't even notice the 16’ long “porch light” just under the awning. *And the frosted lens did not degrade the light output in any noticeable way.

https://ibb.co/hJULxF
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
The housings that I linked are 2-piece; there is an aluminum channel, and then there is a plastic frosted lens that snaps into the channel. *I drilled holes about 8-10” from the end of each section of channel (each section is 1 meter long), countersunk the holes, and then screwed them onto the side of the RV (using a dab of silicone at each screw/hole). *I then added a final hole through the channel and through the RV walk to run the wiring (also sealed with silicone). *This way, there is no wiring visible on the outside of the RV.
That came out really nice 4x4.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:46 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks. The LED strip actually came off my previous MH. I had installed it on the awning roller, and while it worked well, it required me to plug it in each time, and of course it was unusable with the awning roller up (it was rolled up inside).

I really was happy with the color temp and the light output though, so I kept it when I sold that RV, and decided to install it on the wall this time so it could be used regardless of the awning position.

But... The strip had a gold circuit board color to it, so I wanted a way to kinda "hide" it. The channel mount was the perfect solution!
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, install, led, light, lights