Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
I can see no other reason for this than "because we can", and I am absolutely fuming about their decition. Talk about discrimination.

[*]No - we can not just go to another insurance company, because no one else but Progressive will insure non resident people with an International drivers license. Believe me- we have tried.[/LIST]This is one bad day at the office.
And that's where the "because we can" attitude comes from.

You need to make some phone calls to either an independent agent and/or the insurance commissioner.

I'm willing to bet it has nothing to do with your driving record. It's all about whether or not you can pay your premium or leave the country. They use peoples credit scores to determine if they are a risk and may not be able to pay.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #16

American Family Insurance sent me a letter saying that my rates would be lower if I had a credit history. I have 5 credit cards and pay them off in full before they are due. It's like they are saying I have to pay interest on a debt to get lower rates.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Its odd...as an Illegal Alien you can get a Washington State drivers licence (SSN not required) if you can prove you live in the state.....so I would guess that if you have a mailbox you can get a Washington state DL.......
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Most requirements for insurance are that you have insurance or post a bond and be self insured. How about checking to see if you can post at a reasonable price. You're allowed to be self insured....it's just how much will it cost.

As a side note....we had Progressive for 5 years. On the fifth year they raised our policy from $1200.00 - $1600.00 for no reason. All of my other vehicles were with AAA Insurance. At the time of the MH purchase they didn't insure MH's. A checked with them again and they insured the MH for $790.00. Progressive and Flo can kiss my b&^%.

So, please take some satisfaction that they won't ever see another dollar from me!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #19

I don't know if it's a case of some details being overlooked, or just different laws, but a friend of the family who is Finnish spends their winters in Florida in a Class 'A' they bought 2 years ago.

When they bought it they used a store-front mailbox place (where their mail comes anyways) as their address for the m/h title, then with nothing more than that and their mobile phone bill (showing the same address) they got a Florida drivers license.

They are not 'residents' and have the same time requirements as you. They however use a short trip into Canada as their 'leaving the country' break at the 90 day mark.

Any country qualifies as leaving the US I guess.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Most requirements for insurance are that you have insurance or post a bond and be self insured. How about checking to see if you can post at a reasonable price. You're allowed to be self insured....it's just how much will it cost.

As a side note....we had Progressive for 5 years. On the fifth year they raised our policy from $1200.00 - $1600.00 for no reason. All of my other vehicles were with AAA Insurance. At the time of the MH purchase they didn't insure MH's. A checked with them again and they insured the MH for $790.00. Progressive and Flo can kiss my b&^%.

So, please take some satisfaction that they won't ever see another dollar from me!
I thought all you had to do was prove your assets to be self insured. Never looked into it, so there may be more to it than that.

AmFam did the same to my 5er rates. It was $280 for 4 years, then for no reason or claim, it went to $385 for 2 years, then went down to $175. ? ? ? ?

Old 06-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I know some visiting Brits who applied for an received Arizona driver licenses. I suspect there are other states as well that would issue them.

Insurance companies put huge faith in their statistical databases and you, as a visitor from another company, don't fit in their statistical model. Even assuming they have a category for "International licensee", it probably has too few members to be statistically significant. And you would be lumped in with the visitors from Mexico and Pakistan and... well, you get the picture. Therefore, they decide to make a surcharge that they feel covers the them.

Out of curiosity, what if an American wanted a driving license and insurance in Denmark?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Out of curiosity, what if an American wanted a driving license and insurance in Denmark?
I can't tell you for sure, because I don't know, but I would have thought that insurance wouldn't be more expensive. As for a driving license, all it takes is a postal address in Denmark - this could be with friends or family. However, taking your driving test is no formality. It is difficult, and you will have to have a minimum of 18 hours driving lessons on the roads, even if you are a capable driver to start with. This would typically cost you around $1250.

The insurance system in Denmark is primarily based on peoples driving record. If you can prove say 5 years of no-claim driving, you will with most companies get maximum discount, and they don't ask for the origin of your drivers license. Once you have insurance on your car, the insurance company then doesn't focus on the driver - just the car. This means that I could let you, or even a complete inexperienced driver use my car. I would not have to ask for any one's permission or pay an additional premium.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'm willing to bet it has nothing to do with your driving record. It's all about whether or not you can pay your premium or leave the country. They use peoples credit scores to determine if they are a risk and may not be able to pay.

Using my non-existing creditscore doesn't make any sense to me, since we don't get any credit. Our payment has always been via a debit card. We are paying up front, meaning they have all the money in their hands before they provide their service. If we did leave the country they would still have been paid.

I would therefore argue that my financial ability or inability should be irrelevant to the insurers.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #24

Not sure if I said that right. They are rating me by my overall credit rating, not just with the insurance company.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I don't think I would want to be self insured. That sounds like a risk I wouldn't be prepared to take. I can picture in my head all the problems and financial cost an accident could entail.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What I meant

Quote:
Please explain, and pull no punches. I am curious, because Denmark has never been in a #high risk pool" as far as I know. Which "status" are you referring to. I always thought that we are "the good guy's"?
You're in the same insurance risk pool as people from South America and other places where the drivers are 'less responsible' and most likely to flee the country if involved in an accident.

It happens too often around here. We were involved in an accident where the other driver first tried to lie to the cop. She was cited for making an illegal right turn from the far left lane. She went back to El Salvador within a few days.

It has nothing to do with your driving record, they probably don't even look for it.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Say you go to any of the Scandinavian countries, and you walk into a restaurant and pick up a menu that is saying: One glass of red wine: $5. (unless you are American in which case it will cost you $7.50 per glass).
Yep... Happends to me a time or two... Mexico... Africa... Especially Asia! Never had to buy insurance...

Anyway good luck to you and enjoy your travels in wonderful US of A... You are foutunate to be able to do what you do!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
HB,
Just called my independent agent who represents several RV companies. They confirmed the problem you're having. Also the discussion about getting a US drivers license is now mute as TSA (federal government) is now requiring the states to ask for a SSN as prove that you are who you say you are. Our friends from south of the border just manufacture one.
HM
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance