Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #1

Insurance Question

We currently have our 2021 38KA RED insured with Progressive. For last year (Nov 2020--Dec 2021) the coverage including replacement cost was $2100.00. No accidents, no claims the renewal rate has gone to $2600.00 for the same coverage.

Any suggestions for a company with better rates will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 08:58 PM   #2

I was with Progressive several years ago with couple of vehicles we kept at our AZ home. For no reason on my part, they started bumping the rate up. I just went to another company for a better Rate. 2 1/2 years ago, the company I had for our 2013 43' Allegro Bus wanted to increase the rate from $1550 to $2050. I shopped around and went with Geico for less than $1000 for the same coverage. They have replaced two $3,000 windshields since with no rate increase. I have since added 3 other vehicles to the policy for a savings on all of them.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In my experience, Progressive always starts off cheap and then bangs you a few years later with an outrageous price.

Originally, my auto insurance (AAA) didn't cover motor homes. After Progressive raised their prices, AAA began covering motor homes. I've been with them ever since.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Last year I had RV insurance through Grange as a separate policy. I also had home and auto with them. They seemed to have good rates so I kept them for years. In 2015 I had road debris take out my radiator, talking to my agent he though it might be covered, so while the rig was in the Cummins shop I took pictures and my agent filed a claim. Initially Grange questioned the claim but eventually covered it for ~$7000 less my deductible $1000. My premium did not go up.

But last year, after building a new house I had my agent redo my house coverage for increased value. My house insurance went up proportional to the value. He suggested he check some of the other companies he represented.

I ended up going with Auto Owners for the House, Car and RV. The house insurance was the same the old premium amount. The Auto policy also included the RV and overall was less then what I was paying separately. The RV insurance actually was about 1/2 of what I was paying. My current premium for the RV is ~$470, had a slight increase after one year.

So it pays to check coverage every once in a while
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You need to shop around for quotes from several insurers. No one company always has best rates for every zipcode and personal situation, so getting costs from other RVers is pointless. A broker that specializes in RV insurance can help, e.g. Miller's RV Insurance, or you can just fill some online forms and get your own.

It helps a lot if you figure out what coverages types & amounts you need in advance. Otherwise agents tend to load you up with the best and maybe that's more expensive than you really need.

Claims & such aren't actually very important anymore - insurers are more interested in your region (zipcode), credit rating, and stability. They want to be sure you pay the premiums!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #6

I experienced this with Progressive just yesterday! My old rate was $57/mo. I get an email that ssys "congrats on your new, LOWER, rate"....of $59! Good Sam has them beat by $9/mo, so maybe I'll switch.
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:20 PM   #7

Thanks to all. After much research it’s cheapest to stay with Progressive.
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have Progressive now and last year. I received an email stating 2022 would be $300 higher than 2021. I called my agent and ask for him to shop my coverage. He could see it was going up so HE said I'll just write you a new Progressive policy. He did and it increase $100.00 so I still with Progressive.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #9

I have Progressive (through USAA), my first year premium (on a 2020 RED 37BA) was $1447, second year was about a $30 increase, and the current premium had no discernible increase. So far the only thing we have had to claim was a windshield chip which was covered by Safelite at no cost. As long as the premium does not drastically increase I will remain with them. Once my new premium becomes available I have about 45 days to shop for new if I choose before the policy runs out.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #10

I had Progressive maybe 20/30 yrs. ago. Then I found out they
were too Political Progressive for me, and moved on never
looking back............coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
For last year (Nov 2020--Dec 2021) the coverage including replacement cost was $2100.00. No accidents, no claims the renewal rate has gone to $2600.00 for the same coverage.
I've found it useful to look at which component of the insurance went up.

I once had a National Interstate policy through Miller Insurance (fultimers) that went from $1,416 to $1,981, and upon close examination, I noticed the comprehensive component went from $493 to $1,064. I called Miller and was told that it was probably because the insurance company was adjusting the premiums to make up for claims it had to pay for some sort of natural disaster, like a tornado in the area.

I changed agents and got a Blue Sky policy in which the comprehensive portion of the premium was $438, and the total was actually $200 less than my previous policy before the increase. And then the next year, the Blue Sky comprehensive portion went to $742, which tells me they were later than National Interstate in adjusting the premiums for to account for comprehensive claims in my area. Then comprehensive went on an upward march with each renewal, and then Blue Sky quit offering insurance where I am so I switched to Progressive, which was about $100 more for the comprehensive portion, and the comprehensive upward march continued until it hit about $1000, and then last year it inexplicably dropped to $440, after I'd had a windshield replaced.

What this taught me is that I'm glad I've been keeping a spreadsheet of my insurance and the premiums for the individual elements. It also taught me that if the major part of the increase is due to comprehensive, then they're probably making up for claims they had to pay, and different insurers might do that on a different schedule. So it could pay to shop around in the face of a big increase, and especially to compare the premium for whatever element went up dramatically, but know that the lower premium might be just because they haven't gotten around to accounting for some big losses.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #12

We previously owned an independent insurance agency and represented many carriers including Progressive. Insurance rates for every carrier are based on the lose experience for all policy holders in a specific geographic area combined with the insured's personal driving record or claims history. Each state mandates the criteria every carrier must meet to allow a rate increase. In essence, what this translates into, is that the carrier you have today may experience a worse loss history for their collective insureds within a specific rating category, thereby, their rates go up disproportionately higher than other carriers in the same area that have experienced better loss ratios.

Knowing what I stated above, we shop our insurance for every policy on a 3 year time frame to insure our carrier is still competitive and, if not, we change carriers.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #13

I believe rates are a moving target as companies drift in and out of the market. Also, like Medicare, it depends on your zip code. We had Progressive and decided to shop when the policy term was up. Called and gave State Farm my zip code. It was free! Agent told me Progressive very aggressive and had rates that were hard to beat but he would try. Ended up coming back with a substantially better rate and we jumped the Progressive ship.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't get anything back for showing loyalty to one Carrier vs. the rest. I've learned that you need to shop your coverage each year (using reputable/known companies) to get the best rate for the coverage you want. Invariably, one will be materially better than the rest for the same coverage. When you find that, go with it.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance