Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Inverter

When dry camping with the inverter on, I noticed that the electric clock runs much faster then they do when plugged to shore line.
Can anyone tell me why this happens.
EJVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #2

I'm guessing that you have an ME2012 Inverter. It is a modified Sine Wave. Lots of electronic items hate the modified sine and do not do well running on them. I'm sure you have noticed your micro/oven groaning also when running off the inverter.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the reply.
Usually I avoid using the microwave, I will try it next time.
I also noticed that the two electric outlet by the night tables, are not connected to the inverter.
This means that when dry camping we can't inflate the bed.
Monaco told me that this is in order to preserve the battery.
Somehow I find this hard to believe
EJVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:17 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Ejvo: The inverter and batteries are designed as a system, Monaco may be oversimplifying but they are not too far off the mark. Devices that would ordinarily be plugged into your bedroom outlets (Clocks, Clock-Radios etc) would take a lot of battery power if the inverter was left on all the time, like some people (including me) tend to do.

Having said that, you should be able to relocate the circuit that feeds your bedroom to the panel (or part of the panel) that runs off the inverter, as long as it has space for another circuit breaker (or a single circuit breaker that can be replaced with a dual).

We have a Sleep Number-style bed in our coach and I do not notice a difference in power consumption (using a TriMetric meter) with it plugged in vs not plugged in, so I would suspect you will not have a problem with your inflatable bed.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJVO View Post
When dry camping with the inverter on, I noticed that the electric clock runs much faster then they do when plugged to shore line.
Can anyone tell me why this happens.
YES. you have a MSW inverter. And MSW inverters often do this

There are three types of electric clocks, one uses an internal time base, this is very accurate on the short term, but long term needs re-setting every once in a while.. Your digital watch is an example of this type of clock

The second type is the old analog clock with a synchronous motor. this Syncs up with the power line frequency.. I do not think a MSW inverter would bother it

The Electronic digital is #3, it also uses the power line as it's time base.. Short term it may gain or loose as much as a second or two (if fed proper power) but long term, it might gain or loose as much as a second or two.. In short, very good for keeping time.

However if you use a MSW, where the wave form instead of being anice smooth curve, looks like a STILE (A word that describes at least 3 things. I will list below) the clock may count each step in the waveform as a transistion.. Thus running several times faster than it should.

STILE, is a set of steps which cross a fence, enabling people to step over, but farm animals are not able to climb out of the pen.. (This is the one I"m using above)

STILE: in one group of science fiction novels (Forget which but GOOGLE tothe rescue, Adapt) Citizen Blue, also known as the Blue Adept, his name is Stile

And the third meaning of STILE.. a pile of Dung

You see, Citizen blue, back when he was known as Stile (A Slave name) got that name when he came to the attention of his master because he noticed some parasites in a pile of horse dung, and thus saved a very vaulable horse.

And that's all I'll tell you about that book.

But the wave form of a MSW inverter

Looks like the first Stile.. (Set of steps)

And each step, is being counted by our clock

here as with a True Sine Inverter.. You have a wave form that looks more like the path the dog takes when he jumps over the fence (Actually the wave is a pure sine wave, and the path of the dog is not, but, I think you can see it's a smooth transistion with no steps)
Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

For a good example and graph of modified sine wave and true sine wave check out this tutorial in the RV Tech Library - RV Tech Library - True Sine Wave versus Modified Sine Wave
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Cruzer.. That link shows graphically what I was trying to say with words.

NOTE: the MSW inverter in the link used only one step per half cycle

The ones I own use 2 or 3

The one I use.. Is a TRUE sine wave
Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is a WFCO MODEL 600TH and is located in front of the batteries on the Newmar gasser. It has failed twice since new...like the 600 watts but can only find one from WFCO at American RV and am afraid to buy another as two failures in 4 years is not acceptable. No overloads or blown fuses or anything...was on a trip to New York last week...worked part way then all of a sudden just quit. WFCO doesn't repair these units...any suggestions...?

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote