Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2005, 10:34 AM   #1

I'm thinking of purchasing the Xantrex XPower 1500 inverter at Costco for my RV. After installed to the batteries can the RV shore power cable (30 amp) be plugged into it with the proper adapter to run the inverter power through the interior circuits. I will disconnect the converter when plugged in to the inverter.
CYOUL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2005, 10:34 AM   #2

I'm thinking of purchasing the Xantrex XPower 1500 inverter at Costco for my RV. After installed to the batteries can the RV shore power cable (30 amp) be plugged into it with the proper adapter to run the inverter power through the interior circuits. I will disconnect the converter when plugged in to the inverter.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:28 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: This is a unique approach to the problem. Since RV inverters are normally cabled directly into the power circuits I think there would be logistical problems: Hook-up and an adapter box with proper outlets would be one, but an even greater problem would exist in making sure that the A/C could not be turned on. (It would overload the 1500 watt inverter). The cables that connect the inverter to the batteries should be short and fat to avoid voltage drop (maybe 2AWG or bigger and a few feet long), so the inverter is normally installed close to the batteries and hard-wired. The output of the inverter normally feeds a subpanel so that only the circuits that want inverter power are fed from the inverter. How do you get the power cord around to the adapter box that you will build, or does this get used only when parked? When you figure out these problems (and probably a few others) what you suggest could be done, but why not just connect it the correct way? What you are really asking is whether you can bypass the subpanel and changeover relay and use the line cord instead. I think from a safety standpoint this has problems. It's possible that someone has done this, but I would not want to do it and I'm and electrical engineer. Interesting idea though.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I do not see the safety concerns that Dirk alludes to, but maybe I do not clearly understand your intent. As I read it, what you plan to do is no different than plugging your shore power cord into a small external generator.

No reason you cannot do this, except that YOU personally have to be responsible for shutting off loads that would exceed the inverter capacity. For severe overloads, the XPower's overload protection would shut it off, but moderately large loads would simply drain the battery in a very short time and leave you with no power [and an abused battery whose life had been shortened].

Would you permanently install the XPower and wire the motorhome house batteries in parallel with the XPower's own battery?

Note that you can buy inverters that do not have an integrated battery like the Xpower does. I'm guessing you want the Xpower so that you can also use it for a portable power supply in other applications? If not, why buy an inverter with its own battery?

I have installed a 2000 watt inverter in the manner Dirk suggests, "the correct way" with it's own subpanel to isolate inverter powered circuits. One of the advantages is that I can use the inverter while traveling and also in campsites where shore power is available but inadequate. I can run some circuits off the inverter and leave others on shore power, e.g. power one a/c from a 20A campground supply and the other RV circuits off the inverter. I don't often need this sort of flexibility, but it's great when I do.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies "Dirk" and "RV Roamer". I plan to use the inverter when dry camping and for running the refridgerator while traveling. I'm planning on hard wiring directly to the house batteries using #2 guage cables which will be about 2 feet long. Then I plan to run electric cable (12 guage) over to my compartment where it will be terminated with a 30 amp outlet. I can plug the shore power cord into this outlet dedicated for the inverter. I already do this when using the generator. It has it's own 30 amp outlet. I have wired the converter through an on/off switch in the same compartment. All I'll have to do is remember to not use the air conditioners when on inverter power. I think this set up will be almost idiot proof for me so nothing backfeeds to the inverter.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:45 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This sounds like a good idea.
I have a new Class A and unlike my class C I don't have to plug the power cord into the box to get power from my generator.
My class C had an inverter that must have been professionaly installed with a remote on/off switch right next to the generator start/stop switch. It was great, I could turn off the generator and turn the inverter on without blinking the TV. I miss that.
Anyway if I installed an invertor close to the batteries, would it hurt any thing to just leave the MH plugged into it and just make sure I turned the inverter off before I started the generator.
It seems like a waste not to mention the noise , to have a 5500 watt generator running to watch a little TV.
I hope I explained what I wanted to do well enough. I just don't under stand why I had to plug the Class C into itsef but I don't with the Class A
Thanks for your advice
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Max49, the class A has an automatic transfer switch that connected the load to the source just as the act of you plugging in the power cord into a recptacle; only electricaly.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks RV Wizard. Since the cord is'nt plugged into anything , would it hurt to just leave it plugged into an inverter? Would there be any feedback or would it hurt anything to run the generator with the cord plugged into a turned off inverter?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If everything is working properly it should not effect the inverter if the generator was started but I would recommend that you not get into the practice of doing so. Just plug into the inverter when you want to use it and then disconnect when finished. This way if the transfer switch were not to operate correctly, you have not damaged anything.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:37 AM   #10

I would seriously consider another brand. This brand has been having a lot of problems lately and have not been honoring their warranty. I personally, can vouch for both issues. You can do a search under the brand name of inverters and see for yourself. Price shouldn't always be the buying point, service/reliability after the sale and warranty are more important.

Tomcat F15
Old 05-21-2005, 03:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
CYOUL8R... I have a Xantrex RV3012 which is 3000 Watts continuous, and it has a built in 140-Amp DC 3-stage Battery Charger. I've had this unit since 2002 and it's been mounted in two different motorhomes. It has been 100% reliable without any problems at all. Xantrex itself is a good product. I'm not saying all their models are the best in the book, but they do build good ones.

When I installed mine I wired it in so the Inverted AC out powers everything in the MH. The things I don't want it to power accidentally, like the roof AC units, I just flip the breaker/s so me and no one else can turn them on by accident. This method works good for me. Oh, and I run the inverter with 4-each T105 6-volt Deep-Cycle batteries.

Bob
2004 Pace Arrow
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #12

Finding ourselves at a campground that had no electricity and provisioning ourselves for microwave cooking, we are considering an inverter. Can this be a do-it-yourself operation for somebody who has been known to screw this sort of thing up? I just need a 1000W inverter for the microwave and maybe a few other things every once in a while.

Dan

Dan Listermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Not sure that a 1000 watt modified sine wave inverter will push your microwave very well. Even my 2000 watt MSW inverter casues a little loss of power through the microwve. A pure sine wave inverter would give more power output through the microwave than modified. There will not be a power drop of 1/2 wattage output but you will notice that what took 2 minutes to heat may take 2.5 minutes.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:28 PM   #14

I just bought an 86 Holiday Rambler, 30 foot Presidential. The unit had been store in a garage most of its life...and is in outstanding condition. All the manuals etc came with the unit.

There is a manual for "convertor", converts 110 volt to 12 volt; but nothing for an invertor (converting 12 volt to 110 AC). I am sure the unit has an invertor but I am at a loss to find it. Under the bed via a cabinet door is a large switch with three positions: 1) marked auxillary which is what I use when running the AC and the outlets to get 110; 2) the other position is marked Plug for when I plug in to get 110 and power to the AC. 3) The third position is a neutral where I don't get any AC power.

What do I look for in terms of an invertor.

Would it be near the batteries slide out tray...the tray unit has three deep cycle batteries...I am assuming this relative large number of batteries is intended to provide strength to run sustainably 110 volt from 12 volt.

Thanks, IVER D
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote